Windows 10: "Drive where windows is installed is locked"

Discus and support "Drive where windows is installed is locked" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; so i ran into an issue where some of the default apps with windows stopped working. i'd had a strange crash/BSOD and i tried a lot of things to fix it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Shananigans, Jan 4, 2017.

1. "Drive where windows is installed is locked"

so i ran into an issue where some of the default apps with windows stopped working. i'd had a strange crash/BSOD and i tried a lot of things to fix it - details are here: BSOD reboot loop while playing BF1 System Service Exception

i think the apps not working may have come from one of the fixes i tried to do with the restore points and other things with the windows installation usb i have. i hadnt noticed it till now because i've been using a different computer primarily for about the last two weeks. i came back and noticed my movies would not play through the default movie player, but all worked fine in VLC. i remembered something in a tutorial i'd found that had me turn off most of the system services, so i looked in msconfig and noticed the startup selection was checked to "selective startup" instead of "normal startup." so i changed it back to normal startup and rebooted and now the computer won't boot. it just gets to a solid color screen with the spinning loading circles and sits there. i can get into safe mode, and i tried changing it back but it didnt work.

i booted from the windows installation USB this morning and was going to reset the computer and just save my files, but when i selected that, it told me "The drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."

not sure what this is talking about or how to fix it. any help is greatly appreciated!

:)

Shananigans, Jan 4, 2017

2. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Jan 4, 2017
  3. fonero Win User
    Lumia " The Future is Here "

psychomania: This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

psychomania: Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

What RSXforever wrote was a kind of review, that can help other people to judge, if Lumia is the right phone for them.

fonero, Jan 4, 2017
  4. "Drive where windows is installed is locked"

anyone have any ideas?

Shananigans, Jan 5, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    First job boot install dvd goto cmd prompt type

chkdsk c: /f
    when done try
    sfc /scannow

Samuria, Jan 5, 2017
  6. "Drive where windows is installed is locked" [​IMG]

"Drive where windows is installed is locked" [​IMG]

ok i was able to boot from the usb device and get to the command prompt. i have run both chkdsk c: /f and chkdsk c: /r (i found a bit about the /r doing some digging on the internet).

the sfc /scannow would not run from the command prompt through the usb, it always said "there is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. restart windows and run sfc again." this is probably from when just before i posted this thread i found a way into safe mode and attempted a system restore. the computer had to reboot for the system restore and when it did it just went back to the solid color screen and spinning circles.

after a few restarts, a blue error screen showed up and i was able to boot into safemode with command prompt (not through the bootable windows installation usb). through that command prompt, i was not able to run chkdsk at all, but i was able to run sfc /scannow.

after running all those, if i try to boot like normal, it still gets to the colored screen with the spinning circles and sits there forever. i havent tried "reset my pc" again yet. i did try the startup repair through the installation usb, and that failed again. i also tried the system restore through the installation usb again, and it still did not work.

images attached

Shananigans, Jan 5, 2017
  7. SoFine409 Win User
    SoFine409, Jan 5, 2017
  8. "Drive where windows is installed is locked"

well, i was trying nearly anything i could, and i've messed something up real bad. the system image restore failed. i went to try and reset the pc using the option that doesnt save my files and that gave me some error about a partition. now the computer just boots to a black screen and says "missing operating system."

so i decided to just bite the bullet and install windows fresh from this usb i used from my 2nd computer, and i saw something interesting when selecting a drive. the disk i had as my initial c: has 3 different partitions and each of them give the error in this picture. "windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk has an MBR partition table. on EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

is there any way i can fix this in DISKPART in command prompt before i just wipe this drive clean and start over?

Shananigans, Jan 5, 2017
  9. If you clear that error you should see a delete option. (below the partition section to the right). Select a partition and then click. When they are all gone select the first for windows install and it will tell you it will make additional.

It might not delete with "lock" condition.

Caledon Ken, Jan 5, 2017
  10. SoFine409 Win User
    That second partition is the OEM Recovery Partition. If you delete that you won't be able to do a "factory reset" but you probably don't care at this point. Clearly a clean install is the best option to give you best performance going forward.

when the install is finished remember to give the SSD some unallocated space at the end to use for TRIM.

SoFine409, Jan 5, 2017
  11. Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

"Drive where windows is installed is locked"

1. "Drive where windows is installed is locked" - Similar Threads - Drive where installed

2. Drive Where?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive Where?: Since I did not follow your advice is there anywhere on my hard drive to show that Windows 11 is on file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-where/64dfa737-6471-498c-96ac-8f26b38750eb
  3. Drive Where?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive Where?: Since I did not follow your advice is there anywhere on my hard drive to show that Windows 11 is on file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-where/64dfa737-6471-498c-96ac-8f26b38750eb
  4. How to clean a dirty drive where windows is installed?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to clean a dirty drive where windows is installed?: Recently, my computer had an improper shutdown. Whenever it starts up, my computer "scans and repairs" the C drive for about 3 seconds then continues to boot as normal. Windows is installed on an SSD and when I run the commandchkntfs C: it says my C: is dirty. My computer is...
  5. Additional free space is needed on the drive where Windows is installed

in Windows 10 News
    Additional free space is needed on the drive where Windows is installed: [ATTACH]If when you try to reset your Windows 10 device and you encounter the […] This article Additional free space is needed on the drive where Windows is installed first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. Drive Locked!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive Locked!: I used one of my drives to store all my personal files dating back to 2010. I used windows BitLocker to lock the drive as I was staying in a dorm and my housemates often used my laptop. I remember renaming the recovery key text file and storing it in some folder on C drive. I...
  7. Reset PC(cleaning the drive where windows is installed)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Reset PC(cleaning the drive where windows is installed): Reset PC(cleaning the drive where windows is installed) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reset-pccleaning-the-drive-where-windows-is/b634be9c-63bc-4b84-9f5a-72669e591573
  8. Windows 10 PRO; hard drive is locked where windows is located

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 PRO; hard drive is locked where windows is located: Windows 10 PRO; hard drive is locked where windows is located Windows repair or recovery will not resolve the problem; keep getting msg that the hard drive where windows is located, is locked. How can I repair this? I'm quite sure that this was caused by a Windows Update...
  9. lock screen where is it?

in Windows 10 Customization
    lock screen where is it?: Where is the "Lock Screen" command? It is NOT to be found in the PErSONALIZATION option from the Desktop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/lock-screen-where-is-it/3f114da1-1ce6-42d9-98b9-2d246dc20765
  10. "The drive where windows is installed is locked." Help.

in Windows 10 Support
    "The drive where windows is installed is locked." Help.: Ok , so yesterday when I was starting my PC, I accidentally leaned on the Ctrl and Home keys. Then it came up "Reboot and Select proper Boot device. Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key." So I rebooted and put in my Windows 10 USB and when I go to repair...