Windows 10: Driver Letter Change Post Sysprep

Discus and support Driver Letter Change Post Sysprep in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Preparing upgrade to 10 Did clean install Window 7 to customize, sysprep, image, install on several duplicate PCs prior to upgrade 1st drive is SSD,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by andrew124C41, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Driver Letter Change Post Sysprep

Preparing upgrade to 10
    Did clean install Window 7 to customize, sysprep, image, install on several duplicate PCs prior to upgrade
    1st drive is SSD, 2nd is HDD
    SSD partition c: os and d: virtual box
    HDD e: data
    wrote answer file move user and program data from c: to e:
    Something happened post sysprep and partition letters switched d and e
    Stupidly, I changed the drive letters in windows and now can't get into profile
    There is a shortcut to e on the d partition of SSD
    Tried reassigning letters using diskpart but they don't remain when entering windows but go back to the wrong assignment.

I googled this and apparently it happens but I don't know why. I can only think that I was lucky to image the clean OS however if I can fix this it would save me time. If not, I will get rid of the d: partition and put that post sysprep

Here is the answer file
    < ?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    < unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
    <settings pass="oobeSystem">
    <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    <FolderLocations>
    <ProfilesDirectory>E:\Users</ProfilesDirectory>
    <ProgramData>E:\ProgramData</ProgramData>
    </FolderLocations>
    </component>
    </settings>
    <settings pass="specialize">
    <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    <OEMInformation>
    <Logo>C:\log.bmp</Logo>
    <Manufacturer>Sandparrot Computers</Manufacturer>
    <Model>Asus MB: M5A97 SN: E9M0AJ424098</Model>
    <SupportHours>Asus: M– F 5:30A–11:00P PST S &amp; S 6 A-6P</SupportHours>
    <SupportPhone>Asus MB: 812-282-2787</SupportPhone>
    <SupportURL>www.asus.com/support</SupportURL>
    </OEMInformation>
    <CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile>
    </component>
    </settings>
    <settings pass="windowsPE">
    <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    <UserData>
    <AcceptEula>true</AcceptEula>
    </UserData>
    </component>
    </settings>
    <cpi*RedfacefflineImage cpi:source="wim:h:/software3/en%20-windows_7_professional_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676939/sources/install.wim#Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    < /unattend>

I can't seem to fix this problem

:)

andrew124C41, Aug 4, 2015

2. sysprep broken on windows 10 build 10586

I am trying to sysprep After installing windows update 3136561, sysprep fails, with message that says "Sysprep was not able to validate your Windows installation. Review the log file a %WINDIR% \Ssytem 32\Sysprep\Panther\setupact.log for details.

I was able to run sysprep before installing update KB3136561, which changed the OS version to 10.0.10586

This is on windows 10, Enterprise.

The log says "spopk.dll : : Sysprep will not run on an upgraded OS. You can only run Sysprep on a custom (clean) install version of Windows."

This was a clean install, until KB3136561 did the upgrade to version 10.0.10586

Help

MarkTronrud, Aug 4, 2015
  3. jsonling Win User
    How to Do a Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Hi! I came across a post advising to use the sysprep command to prep windows for a hardware change (cpu + mb).

does it apply to windows 10 in this case?

jsonling, Aug 4, 2015
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Driver Letter Change Post Sysprep

Hi there

Right mouse click on the Windows symbol (Start menu) and choose Disk management. Right mouse click as normal mouse click just brings up the start menu. (You can also use Win+X on the keyboard).

Now you can choose Change drive letter and path -- right mouse click on the partition images (lower half of the image).

If the Target letter is already assigned -- say you want to swap D and E -- just re-assign as F and G and then (you might have to re-boot first - not always though) and the re-assign again to E and D (now swapped !!).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 4, 2015
  5. When I found that the drive letters had changed, if you look at my post carefully...that is exactly what I did.
    As a result, I cannot get into my profile.
    Using Refelct Win PE I got into command prompt and attempted to change drive letters back to the wrong one so I could at least get into my profile. The drive letters DID change when I did a list drive and list volume command. (I used volume command to change the drive letters.) They reverted back to the changes I had made..that is back to c: d: and e: rather than reversed post sysprep which is what I need to get back into my profile.

So, there are two questions. 1) How to change the drive letters from c: d: e: to c: e: d:: so I can get back into windows and
    2) How to correct the mistaken c: e: d: to c: d: e: which I what sysprep was supposed to do. Essentially what happened post sysprep is that the users folder and program data are now on the d: partition of my SSD rather than the e: HDD which is what I intended.

I did try to change drive letters using diskpart with assign letter "x" after selecting disk but that did not work. I had to select volume but the changes did not remain.

Then there is the question as to why this happened with what appears to be the correct xml file.

andrew124C41, Aug 4, 2015
  6. The problem is that I cannot get back into windows because the user folder is not where it should be.

Additionally, what you are suggesting is exactly what I did when I found the drive letters had changed and is why I can no longer get into the profile.

So, I need to know how to get the drive letters back the "wrong" way first so I can get in...that is with diskpart...that is c: and e: on the SSD and d: on the HD...;that is the wrong way, that is the users folder is still on the SSD. However, I should be able to get back into windows.

Then I have to figure out how to get it the way I want...C: and d: on the SSD and e: on the HDD. Right click..disk management did not work...I have not figured out why...but it didn't...probably something to do with permissions/environmental variables...

Otherwise, I will have to go back to my post install image and simply get rid of the d: partition and hope that with nowhere else to go, I can use sysprep to move the folder and after that create the d: partition.

I know that what I attempted to begin with works because it is in the tutorial...What went wrong is the question.

andrew124C41, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Driver Letter Change Post Sysprep

1. Driver Letter Change Post Sysprep - Similar Threads - Driver Letter Change

2. Filename Letter Change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Filename Letter Change: Recently someone helped me with changing multiple filename at once using PowerShell. But now I have another question, is it possible to make first letter of every word in a filename capital letter? multiple files at once using powershell?...
  3. Filename Letter Change

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Filename Letter Change: Recently someone helped me with changing multiple filename at once using PowerShell. But now I have another question, is it possible to make first letter of every word in a filename capital letter? multiple files at once using powershell?...
  4. Filename Letter Change

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Drive letters changed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letters changed: I had to reinstall Windows 10 and after doing so the drive letters changed. What was the C: drive with the OS is now the G: drive. I have two other 300GB hard drives that are pretty old. I would like to replace them with one larger drive but I feel I should first address the...
  6. changing letters.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    changing letters.: when I use Iskoola potha font all the ර් are changing like this. මාර්ග- මාගර් then රකාරාංශය also https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-letters/79bc84f3-75e8-437c-acaa-0809112b1927
  7. Sysprep

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Sysprep: I'm trying to sysprep a machine ready for deployment but keep getting an error due to the Welsh interface pack installed, this has worked with every version except for this 1809. Other versions used to be a LIP file but it's not with 1809. The log error is - Package...
  8. Partition Letter Change

Partition Letter Change: When partition magic was available you could change a partition letter where you had installed your programs to another (example Programs on G:\ partition would change it to D:\ (if available)) and change the register entries. Is there a program that will change the partition...
  9. Need BAT file to change my drive letters - Moderator remove post pleas

Need BAT file to change my drive letters - Moderator remove post pleas: I’m dual booting Win 10 and Win 8 or Win 10. Wen I make changes, like booting to a different HD, my drive letters change. Is there a way to use a BAT file to change my drive letters? I may use my macro program to have the BAT file run every time I boot or I may decide to only...
  10. Driver Auto Load Fail with sysprep

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Driver Auto Load Fail with sysprep: Greetings all, I am working on creating a new master image to deploy windows 10 64 to a new of different models throughout our organization. Currently I am having difficulties getting the drivers to be "auto Detected" The Sysprep command I am using is : sysprep...