Windows 10: Driver update tools vs. Manufacturer update sites?

Discus and support Driver update tools vs. Manufacturer update sites? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My Asus X550CC laptop has 22 outdated drivers, according to Driver Easy (Free) but the Asus support site says my laptop is up to date. Where have these... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Doc943, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Doc943 Win User

Driver update tools vs. Manufacturer update sites?

My Asus X550CC laptop has 22 outdated drivers, according to Driver Easy (Free) but the Asus support site says my laptop is up to date. Where have these "outdated" manufacturer drivers come from if not from the technobods at Asus? And if so, why arn't they available to me from Asus?
    This is probably a question for Asus but my query is more about understanding the differences of scan results from a commercial utility versus a manufacturer utility.
    Also, I've read elsewhere in these forums that, as a general point, to avoid free driver scanning tools. Is this view still current or are paid for versions (ie Pro) better for keeping my laptop system up to date over original manufacturer tools? I fear endlessly chasing version numbers that some driver update tools seem to want to draw you into, when all I need is my laptop operating at optimal performance.
    Thanks in advance...

:)

Doc943, Oct 27, 2017
  2. _Luk_ Win User

upgrade to w10, manufacturer vs label product key

Hi, I have several Lenovo ThinkPad laptops and I was upgraded them to W10.

Updated laptops has same product key (lenovo manufacturers), finded by belarc advisor.

Each laptop has it's own different product key sticker

My question is,

When I will need to reinstal w10 in the future, can I use product key from this laptop's stickers?

thank you

Lukas

_Luk_, Oct 27, 2017
  3. _Luk_ Win User
    upgrade to w10, manufacturer vs label product key

Thank for quick replay.

does it mean, that when I change motherboard I need to buy new W10 os?

Luk

_Luk_, Oct 27, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

I personally do not recommend using these driver programs. I prefer to do it manually so I'm sure I have the right driver.

swarfega, Oct 27, 2017
  5. Helmut Win User
    Driver update tools don't distinguish between a genuine update and merely a 'version' update that supports later hardware that you don't have. There are different sections for different hardware all in the one driver in many cases.
    The section for your older hardware never actually changes.
    After say a year drivers are not updated, they should function correctly.

My Laptop manufacturers updates now come via Windows updates, good thing to.

Helmut, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Driver update tools vs. Manufacturer update sites? - Similar Threads - Driver update tools

2. unable to update because "driver that locked to manufacturer specifications"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to update because "driver that locked to manufacturer specifications": My laptop is Acer Aspire E5-476G with Intel Core i5 8250U, that message appears when I want to update my driver, the manufacturer's website provides drivers that stopped being updated in 2017 https://www.acer.com/id-id/support/product-support/E5-476G/UN.GX0SD.001/downloads...
  3. unable to update because "driver that locked to manufacturer specifications"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to update because "driver that locked to manufacturer specifications": My laptop is Acer Aspire E5-476G with Intel Core i5 8250U, that message appears when I want to update my driver, the manufacturer's website provides drivers that stopped being updated in 2017 https://www.acer.com/id-id/support/product-support/E5-476G/UN.GX0SD.001/downloads...
  4. Drivers from Manufacturers site.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drivers from Manufacturers site.: Hey, Any help is greatly appreciated!!:I have an Acer Predator Laptop.I entered my product number and yada yada..So... I have 32 drivers to install, a few documents, a few preinstalled apps and bios / firmware.And yeah, what should I do about it?...
  5. Drivers from Manufacturers site.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drivers from Manufacturers site.: Hey, Any help is greatly appreciated!!:I have an Acer Predator Laptop.I entered my product number and yada yada..So... I have 32 drivers to install, a few documents, a few preinstalled apps and bios / firmware.And yeah, what should I do about it?...
  6. Synaptics driver update vs. headphone jack

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Synaptics driver update vs. headphone jack: We have several HP Z2 PCs running Windows 10. A recent Synaptics driver update seemed to kill the front headphone jack; the jack would stop working overnight, whether or not the PC was rebooted. Below is what seemed to fix it for us.Search for Control Panel and open itOpen...
  7. intel graphics driver not updating from the site

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    intel graphics driver not updating from the site: anytime i try updating my intel graphics driver from the intel site, it will always say "installation failed" or "installation error" and i don't know why, does anyone know why and is there anyway i can fix it?...
  8. windows or Drivers updats link sites not reachable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows or Drivers updats link sites not reachable: Hello MS I am very upset with my Intel (R) Dual Band Wireless- AC 3160 not working (No WIFI CONNECTION...ONLY CABLE) and here is your site making it more miserable. I click any update in windows update history and it returns with "THIS CAN"T BE REACHED"...
  9. Updating Monitor from "generic PnP" driver to manufacturer driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Updating Monitor from "generic PnP" driver to manufacturer driver: I am trying to update my Acer Predator XB1 monitors driver. I have the file downloaded and I can locate the folder within device manager but it will not install the driver. I keeps saying "windows has determined the most up to date driver is installed already...." I also...
  10. Manufacturers discontinuing drivers release among windows updates

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Manufacturers discontinuing drivers release among windows updates: Ok I have posted earlier that my lenovo conexant audio driver with dolby speakers acts faulty with windows update 1803 (No sound output) and i have been having no luck contacting their support as apparently support now is only granted within warranty span in my region . Now...