Windows 10: Driver Updates

Discus and support Driver Updates in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; How to update drivers? and is there is an application that updates drivers and your stuff? 26129 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Rip, Oct 11, 2015.

1. RIP
    Rip Win User

Driver Updates

How to update drivers? and is there is an application that updates drivers and your stuff?

:)

2. Driver updates, Windows Updates and Anniversary Updates all fail on IdeaPad Y500

It is listed as supported by the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

Windows 10 Upgrade July 2015 / Version 1507 - Supported System List

I would recommend you perform a new install.

Download and create a bootable copy:

Step 1: download the ISO file:

Download Windows 10 Feature Update ISO Files Directly Using Your Web Browser

Step 2: create a bootable copy:

If your computer is UEFI based, these are normally systems that come pre-loaded with Windows 8 or later, you will need to prepare the ISO file for such a configuration or you will receive an error message
    during setup. The thumbdrive needs to be formatted as FAT32 and use the GPT partitioning scheme. To do this, you need to use
    Rufus, a small tool you can download for free.

Driver Updates [​IMG]

Rufus - credit: Pete Batard/Akeo

After you have installed Rufus:

• Launch it
    • Select ISO Image
    • Point to the Windows 10 ISO file
    • Check off Create a bootable disk using
    • Select GPT partitioning for EUFI firmware as the Partition scheme
    • Choose FAT32 NOT NTFS as the File system
    • Make sure your USB thumbdrive in the Device list box
    • Click Start
    • Close when complete

Step 3: Boot from the USB thumb drive then perform a custom install:

How to: Perform a custom installation of Windows

Step 4:
    How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Andre Da Costa, Oct 11, 2015
  3. BobbyTrif Win User
    Driver updates, Windows Updates and Anniversary Updates all fail on IdeaPad Y500

Andre,

Your suggestion is the only correct solution. For everyone's benefit below is my final write up on this issue. Microsoft should make updates/upgrades more robust and handle failures of the Drivestore when there is corruption. End users should NOT have to
    wipe an entire OS.

Thanks you,

Trifster

Laptop Diagnosis Worksheet

Issue: Screen brightness not responding to dimming Fn commands.

Recommended Repair: Full wipe and restore of Lenovo Factory Image; Direct upgrade to Windows 10 AU. Reinstall of Applications. Restore of user files (190 GB).

Reason:

Primary: The screen brightness is not responding to commands within windows to change. It is currently stuck at the max brightness setting. This is due to a Windows 8 ->10 driver issue. As documented by Lenovo the correct fix is to change Display driver
    from Microsoft Basic to Microsoft Generic PNP Monitor.
    https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht500157

Hardware errors were ruled out by booting laptop to Ubuntu Linux 16.04 and confirming brightness changes occurred. Hardware was able to go to full dim/bright as would be normal expectations.

Secondary: Efforts to change the driver per Lenovo support document fail unexpectedly. The error message is that updated driver could not be installed because the specified file could not be found. Additional driver install issues exist as well. Nvidia display
    drivers for Windows 10 would not install properly or update. USB Mass storage driver for USB memory sticks would not load.

Root Cause: Extensive efforts were made to run direct upgrades from Windows 10 to Windows 10 “Anniversary Update.” The laptops version of Windows 10 is the original release from Microsoft. No updates to Windows 10 have ever installed successfully.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update attempts failed in 2 main ways. The Windows Upgrade Assistant downloads the most recent version of Windows 10 (8/31/16, Windows 10 Ver 1607, Build 14393.105). This failed to install after ~78% completion due to Error code 0x800703f1.
    Another method of install called an in-place upgrade was attempted. This involves installing the latest Windows 10 upgrade in full. This also failed part way through install.

In analyzing the error log from the failed updates it’s clear that the driver issues above point to a larger issue. It has been determined that the driver store registry database is corrupt. Using a windows tool, it determined that the “Configuration registry
    database is corrupt”. This driver database is used by windows to update drivers and manage 3rd party drivers from hardware vendors.

Driver Updates [​IMG]

Windows Update Error Logs (truncated):

2016-09-07 21:58:44, Info CONX Begin DismDrivers

2016-09-07 21:58:45, Info CONX End DismDrivers

2016-09-07 21:58:45, Error CONX 0x800703f1 Failed DismGetDrivers

2016-09-07 21:58:45, Error CONX 0x800703f1 Failed to add driver store drivers

2016-09-07 21:58:45, Info CONX End CDriverMap::GetDrivers

2016-09-07 21:58:45, Warning CONX Stop Time: 01:58:45.016

2016-09-07 21:58:45, Info CONX End CDriverMap::GetDrivers

2016-09-07 21:58:45, Error CONX 0x800703f1 Failed to collect driver information

2016-09-07 21:58:45, Error CONX 0x800703f1 DeviceMap failed to collect driver information

2016-09-07 21:58:45, Error CONX 0x800703f1 Unable to initialize Device Driver Map

2016-09-07 21:58:45, Error CONX 0x800703f1 GetDeviceMap failed

2016-09-07 21:58:45, Error CONX 0x800703f1 CDevInventory::CreateDevInventoryXML failed

2016-09-07 21:58:45, Error CONX Windows::Compat::Appraiser::WicaDeviceInventory::RunDeviceInventory (408): Failed to get device inventory from devinv: [0x800703f1].[gle=0x800703f1]

2016-09-07 21:58:45, Error CONX Windows::Compat::Appraiser::WicaDeviceInventory::GetInventory (333): Device inventory failed setup devices run, trying other runs: [0x800703f1].[gle=0x800703f1]

The accepted resolution from this corruption is a full clean reinstall of Windows.

BobbyTrif, Oct 11, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

Driver Updates

Best way is to go to manufacturer's sites and see if there are some newer drivers although W10 insists on updating drivers anyway. In some cases it's even difficult to stop them from doing so.

CountMike, Oct 13, 2015
  5. RIP
    Rip Win User
    I did that but when I download the graphics driver it changes my screen resolution to 1024 and never changes back to 1366

6. CountMike New Member
    Which GPU is that ? For AMD based, go to AMD site.

CountMike, Oct 13, 2015
  7. RIP
    Rip Win User
    I downloaded it from AMD but when I install it what I said that it changes to 1024 and never changes to 1366 happens

8. CountMike New Member

Driver Updates

What happens when you change value of EDID in CCC ?

CountMike, Oct 13, 2015
  9. RIP
    Rip Win User
    I don't know what is this *Confused

10. CountMike New Member
    In CCC (AMD Catalyst Control Center), under My VGA displays > Monitor attributes, should be "Use Extended Display Information Data (EDID)". It reads monitor capabilities from monitor itself and recommends highest resolution.

CountMike, Oct 13, 2015
  11. RIP
    Rip Win User
    Driver Updates [​IMG]

This?

12. Frank1 Win User
    Some time ago, I downloaded a free app that will scan you system for out of date drivers. It did its scan and found a lot of drivers that were out of date--I don't remember how many but a lot. They would update them but, of course, for a price. I then went into Device Manager and selected those devices that were supposedly out of date. I clicked on ideate driver and not a one was out of date.

Frank1, Oct 13, 2015
  13. RIP
    Rip Win User

Driver Updates

I used an app before too and it changed it to 1024 and never let me change back to 1366

14. CountMike New Member
    Should have this:

Driver Updates [​IMG]

Between hidden icons on the Taskbar.

CountMike, Oct 13, 2015
  15. CountMike New Member
    You mean something like this : Slimware Utilities - Download SlimDrivers FREE ?. It's pretty good free one but nothing beets original drivers found on MFG's sites.

CountMike, Oct 13, 2015
Thema:

Driver Updates

1. Driver Updates - Similar Threads - Driver Updates

2. sound driver non existent after windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sound driver non existent after windows 11 update: hi there, my machine was recently updated to windows 11. the sound was working prior to the update, however, after the update, i noticed there is no driver whatsoever, even after the multiple installations of other drivers. i've downloaded the hp support assistant to identify...
  3. sound driver non existent after windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sound driver non existent after windows 11 update: hi there, my machine was recently updated to windows 11. the sound was working prior to the update, however, after the update, i noticed there is no driver whatsoever, even after the multiple installations of other drivers. i've downloaded the hp support assistant to identify...
  4. How to update outdate drivers and how to find them?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to update outdate drivers and how to find them?: Yeah, how do you find them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-update-outdate-drivers-and-how-to-find-them/2d10eeb5-e935-468e-937e-ea6436173138
  5. How to update outdate drivers and how to find them?

How to update outdate drivers and how to find them?: Yeah, how do you find them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-update-outdate-drivers-and-how-to-find-them/2d10eeb5-e935-468e-937e-ea6436173138
  6. Audio Glitch Issues After Drivers Update - Seek Advice - ASUS ROG Strix G17 with Windows 11...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio Glitch Issues After Drivers Update - Seek Advice - ASUS ROG Strix G17 with Windows 11...: I'm reaching out for some help regarding a persistent and baffling problem with my ASUS ROG Strix G17 G713PV-HX050, powered by an AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX, RTX 4060,144Hz ,64GB RAM, dual 512GB SSDsI bought it new and after some time Windows has updated and replaced my original AMD...
  7. Audio Glitch Issues After Drivers Update - Seek Advice - ASUS ROG Strix G17 with Windows 11...

Audio Glitch Issues After Drivers Update - Seek Advice - ASUS ROG Strix G17 with Windows 11...: I'm reaching out for some help regarding a persistent and baffling problem with my ASUS ROG Strix G17 G713PV-HX050, powered by an AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX, RTX 4060,144Hz ,64GB RAM, dual 512GB SSDsI bought it new and after some time Windows has updated and replaced my original AMD...
  8. I updated the realtek drivers on my laptop running windows 11. Now it won't boot up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I updated the realtek drivers on my laptop running windows 11. Now it won't boot up.: I updated the realtek drivers on my laptop running Windows 11. When i restarted the computer it wouldn't boot up. I tried to reboot using a backup on a usb drive, but it gives me an error message after a while....
  9. I updated the realtek drivers on my laptop running windows 11. Now it won't boot up.

I updated the realtek drivers on my laptop running windows 11. Now it won't boot up.: I updated the realtek drivers on my laptop running Windows 11. When i restarted the computer it wouldn't boot up. I tried to reboot using a backup on a usb drive, but it gives me an error message after a while....
  10. Windows update deleting drivers

Windows update deleting drivers: Hi, I am writing regarding a persisting issue that I have been dealing with. I got an ASUS X571 GD laptop and had issues with. It works on a windows 11 pro and before the update 23H2, everything was working fine with the 22H2 version. It is causing me problems with windows...