Windows 10: Driver_Power_State_Failure

Discus and support Driver_Power_State_Failure in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I crash pretty regularly with the error Driver_Power_State_Failure. I read that this can be caused by out-of-date drivers but all of my driver are up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by KetanaBlade, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Driver_Power_State_Failure

I crash pretty regularly with the error Driver_Power_State_Failure. I read that this can be caused by out-of-date drivers but all of my driver are up to date minus the Intel Management Engine Interface which had an issue with the latest version. Not sure what could be causing it but I used the tool provided to generate a report. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

:)

KetanaBlade, Aug 5, 2016

2. Acer Switch Alpha 12 BSOD since 1709

Whoops, sorry, forget to tell the error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

MartinLetzel, Aug 5, 2016
  3. MrBigCow Win User
    PC will not boot into Windows 10

UPDATE: I had left my computer in the loading state and received a blue screen with the error driver_power_state_failure

MrBigCow, Aug 5, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Driver_Power_State_Failure

Hello KetanaBlade *Smile

The report suggests there might be a problem with the NVidia drivers:
    Code: BugCheck 9F, {3, ffffe001b35b3840, ffffd000f0d2a990, ffffe001b4645560} Implicit thread is now ffffe001`b152e780 *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys Probably caused by : dxgkrnl.sys ( dxgkrnl!DpiFdoHandleDevicePower+d2 )[/quote] The driver seems to be up to date:
    Code: 4: kd> lmvm nvlddmkm start end module name fffff800`c43a0000 fffff800`c50f1000 nvlddmkm T (no symbols) Loaded symbol image file: nvlddmkm.sys Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys Image name: nvlddmkm.sys Timestamp: Sun Jul 10 23:20:31 2016 (5782CA2F) CheckSum: 00D0B030 ImageSize: 00D51000 Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4[/quote] Please completely uninstall the NVidia related drivers and software using the DDU selecting Clean and restart. Then reinstall only the NVidia graphics driver and the PhysX driver.

philc43, Aug 5, 2016
  5. I had a couple of personal things I've been taking care of for the past couple days but I got around to uninstalling NVIDIA related drivers using the DDU tool but I still crashed with the same error. As an added note my computer seems to start doing this weird thing where it stops charging and then starts charging again very quickly several times right before my computer crashes. I've attached the report for the most recent crash. Thanks again for your time and assistance.

KetanaBlade, Aug 9, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    The reports are pretty similar to your previous one. I'm interested in your comments about the charging behaviour. How do you know this? Is it from the charging light? Is the battery at 100% when it happens?

Do you ever get a crash when using battery power?

philc43, Aug 9, 2016
  7. I could tell because my brightness setting for when my laptop is charging is different than when it's on battery and I could physically see the back light level changing back and forth rapidly. At first I was confused until I saw the battery icon in the bottom right changing. My battery is usually at 100% if I'm using it plugged in as I just plug my dead laptop in and leave it whenever the battery runs out. I haven't used my computer without the charging adapter much lately but it hasn't crashed the few times I've used it without the laptop being plugged in. I'm happy to provide whatever other information you might need. Thank you.

KetanaBlade, Aug 10, 2016
  8. philc43 Win User

It sounds to me like you have a problem with the charger or the power socket on your laptop. When a laptop power supply/charger is plugged in the laptop will always work from that power source so if you are seeing evidence of the backlight changing it is because windows thinks the charger has become unplugged. If the power source is rapidly changing I am sure this is why you are getting the driver power failure BSOD.

Please try with another power supply and if this does not help it points to the laptop power socket being faulty.

philc43, Aug 10, 2016
  9. I'll try and use a different charger and see if that resolves the issue. Thanks again.

KetanaBlade, Aug 10, 2016
  10. So I tried out a new charger and no luck. If I notice the icon changing and unplug my charger my computer will still eventually crash even without being plugged in. I've also noticed that the tip of the charger (the part that goes into the computer) is burning hot when I take it out (almost burned myself pretty badly the first time I noticed that). Would that be a problem related to the DC power port? It's the same error message Driver_Power_State_Failure when it crashes. I've attached the most recent log generated though I'm not sure if it'll be much help.

KetanaBlade, Aug 18, 2016
  11. philc43 Win User
    I would suggest you get a laptop repair technician to check it out. I know the plug end can get hot but it should not be hot enough to burn you.

philc43, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Driver_Power_State_Failure - Similar Threads - Driver_Power_State_Failure

2. DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 9f - Solution?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 9f - Solution?: Hi. My PC is currently having driver issues but the device manager shows none with problems. I have reverted back a few windows and software updates but it seems to still happen... I tried analyzing with WinDBG but without experience I wasn't able to assert the actual problem...
  3. DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 9f - Solution?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 9f - Solution?: Hi. My PC is currently having driver issues but the device manager shows none with problems. I have reverted back a few windows and software updates but it seems to still happen... I tried analyzing with WinDBG but without experience I wasn't able to assert the actual problem...
  4. BSOD related to DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 0x0000009f

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD related to DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 0x0000009f: Hello,I have been receiving repeated BSODs related to the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. To date, I have reinstalled my OS from the ground up, and yet, I still receive the BSOD at random times.What could it be? Is there a way to determine which exact driver/component is causing...
  5. BSOD related to DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 0x0000009f

BSOD related to DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 0x0000009f: Hello,I have been receiving repeated BSODs related to the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. To date, I have reinstalled my OS from the ground up, and yet, I still receive the BSOD at random times.What could it be? Is there a way to determine which exact driver/component is causing...
  6. Dell 7620 Win 11 randomly rebooting with driver_power_state_failure 9f

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dell 7620 Win 11 randomly rebooting with driver_power_state_failure 9f: Hi, my machine was purchased directly from Dell 1 year ago and was working fine up until about a month ago and now keeps randomly rebooting. I don't play any games or run anything high power - it will reboot even if I just have a web browser open and I'm not actively doing...
  7. Dell 7620 Win 11 randomly rebooting with driver_power_state_failure 9f

Dell 7620 Win 11 randomly rebooting with driver_power_state_failure 9f: Hi, my machine was purchased directly from Dell 1 year ago and was working fine up until about a month ago and now keeps randomly rebooting. I don't play any games or run anything high power - it will reboot even if I just have a web browser open and I'm not actively doing...
  8. Blue Screen Crash with Error DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue Screen Crash with Error DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE: I started receiving a Blue Screen crash with the error code DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE.Minidump:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ApfrrgARnuefnlOv-HzsgfPrE3irJxAQ/view?usp=sharing...
  9. Blue Screen Crash with Error DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Blue Screen Crash with Error DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE: I started receiving a Blue Screen crash with the error code DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE.Minidump:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ApfrrgARnuefnlOv-HzsgfPrE3irJxAQ/view?usp=sharing...
  10. Driver_POWER_STATE_FAILURE occures when restarting or shutting down computer

Driver_POWER_STATE_FAILURE occures when restarting or shutting down computer: I began encountering this error after updating certain drivers. I attempted to uninstall or rollback the drivers, but my computer was operating sluggishly at the time. Consequently, I opted to reset my computer, which resulted in smoother performance. However, despite this...