Windows 10: Drives no longer have a 'Sharing' properties tab... Broken by update?

Discus and support Drives no longer have a 'Sharing' properties tab... Broken by update? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is a weird one... Just installed Win 10 1709 on a laptop and everything went fine until I got to the point where I wanted to share drives on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mingle, Dec 16, 2017.

1. mingle Win User

Drives no longer have a 'Sharing' properties tab... Broken by update?

This is a weird one...

Just installed Win 10 1709 on a laptop and everything went fine until I got to the point where I wanted to share drives on the laptop (the data partition - D*Smile with other machines on my home network.

Right-clicked on D: in Explorer, with the intention of setting up the partition for sharing, but lo and behold - no "Sharing' tab!

I went to the two other systems on my network (both running 1709) which already have their "D:" partitions shared and right-clicked to check the Sharing setting and (WTF?) they also no longer have a 'Sharing' tab...

I suspect that this is due to a recent update, but can't confirm this.

I am, however, still able to share folders/directories (folder still have a 'Sharing' properties tab), but not entire partitions. Old shares which I had set up a few months ago are still working correctly.

Is anyone else able to check/confirm this issue?

Cheers,

Mike.

:)

mingle, Dec 16, 2017

2. Sharing using Windows Homegroup

Well, you can normally share it as a network attached device by right clicking and sharing it.

1. Right click on the drive letter assigned to that drive.

2. Select Properties (or Share with>Advanced Sharing...both get you to the same place I think)

* You should see the properties window with many tabs for this drive.

3. Select the Sharing tab

4. Click on Advanced Sharing

5. Check the box, "Share this folder"

*In the Share box, there is a drive letter...you can change that to be a name for this share if you wish.

6. Click "Permissions"

7. Select the group or user you want to share the folder with along with the permissions you want them to have.

Andre Da Costa, Dec 16, 2017
  3. Cybot Win User
    network default administrative shares not being generated for CD/DVD drive

Windows 10 1703 build 15063.502 Insider Preview

I have a VM setup and was getting errors that were saying it could not access D$ share. investigating into the issue I found that while D$ was list in the shares, it was no longer being maintained by the server service. when I told windows to stop sharing
    D$ I did not get a warning about the share, and restarting the server service or restarting the PC, did not regenerate the share. also while the D$ share (before I deleted what was there) was present, when I tried to go to the D:\ properties, when I would
    click the share tab the properties windows would freeze up until windows asked me if I wanted to stop the COM surrogate. removing the broken default share for D$ stopped the freezing of the drive properties. This issue is way, way, way, beyond my level of
    expertise. The issue appears to be something internal to windows, but I could be wrong. I will test out the issue o another laptop shortly, but that laptop is not on the insider preview track, so results might not be the same.

forgot to mention.... D$ is connected to or I should say, is supposed to be connected to D:\ which is my Blu-ray Combo drive. my shares C$ (C:\) and E$ (E:\) appear to be working properly as does the following shares: Admin$, IPC$, print$.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Cybot, Dec 16, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Hey mingle,
    Probably a log shot and if you haven't already. The following might be worth checking, even tho the Share Tab is present in Folder Properties.

1. Go to Services and check Server and Security Accounts Manager make sure they are running and startup type is automatic
    2. Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa check that forceguest is set to 0

Eagle51, Dec 16, 2017
  5. mingle Win User
    I am a complete cabbage-head...

The issue was 'self-inflicted'. I ran a .reg file to remove the 'Sharing' right-click context menu item from Explorer, the problem is it also removes the Sharing table from Drives Properties... Here it is:

-----

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Created by: Shawn Brink
    ; Created on: April 10th 2016
    ; Tutorial: Share with Context Menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Sharing]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Sharing]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Sharing]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\CopyHookHandlers\Sharing]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\Sharing]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Sharing]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\Sharing]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\LibraryFolder\background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Sharing]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\UserLibraryFolder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Sharing]

mingle, Dec 16, 2017
  6. Eagle51 Win User
    Glad you got it sorted out *Smile

Eagle51, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Drives no longer have a 'Sharing' properties tab... Broken by update? - Similar Threads - Drives longer 'Sharing'

2. I no longer have a Security Tab on my WIFI properties.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I no longer have a Security Tab on my WIFI properties.: When I went to identify the current WIFI password for my connection, I was not able to find it. All of the google searches tell me to access the security tab under the WIFI properties. WIFI properties no longer gives me the pop up that I have used in the past. What is the new...
  3. I no longer have a Security Tab on my WIFI properties.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I no longer have a Security Tab on my WIFI properties.: When I went to identify the current WIFI password for my connection, I was not able to find it. All of the google searches tell me to access the security tab under the WIFI properties. WIFI properties no longer gives me the pop up that I have used in the past. What is the new...
  4. I no longer have a Security Tab on my WIFI properties.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. No Share tab for SMB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Share tab for SMB drive: Hello guys,This is my first time here, and the subject I am asking is quite new so please bear with me.What I am basically want to do is for my Xiaomi CCTV camera to transfer the captured video to my external SSD which I have hooked up to the back of my router.This is the one...
  6. No Share tab for SMB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Share tab for SMB drive: Hello guys,This is my first time here, and the subject I am asking is quite new so please bear with me.What I am basically want to do is for my Xiaomi CCTV camera to transfer the captured video to my external SSD which I have hooked up to the back of my router.This is the one...
  7. No longer sharing One Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No longer sharing One Drive: I had a shared One Drive with my now ex husband, I have resubscribed to Office 365 with my own email but my laptop is still saving my files to the shared One Drive...
  8. No sharing tab in wifi properties.

in Windows 10 Customization
    No sharing tab in wifi properties.: Hey I'm having issues with my network adapter properties where I can't see my sharing tab. I'm on a Lenovo IdeaPad S145 which was in S mode but I uninstalled it with the Microsoft store app that does it for you. I don't know if that will help or not. Here is my directions to...
  9. Missing Share Tab under WiFi Properties

Missing Share Tab under WiFi Properties: There is no sharing under the wifi property i need. I need to set up a hotspot for my computer. Under Ethernet there is a sharing option, but I want that option underneath Wifi and not Ethernet[ATTACH]...
  10. Sharing tab missing in properties

Sharing tab missing in properties: I have Win 10 Home 64 bit. In my Win 7 there used to be a Share tab in file properties. In my Win 10 this tab is missing in properties. Any help in recovering it would be appreciated. As additional information, I am the sole user of the PC with only the one account that...