Windows 10: Drop Shadows: Advanced settings still has two options- redundant?

Discus and support Drop Shadows: Advanced settings still has two options- redundant? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I read that in a development build in 2014 drop shadows were reintroduced. There are still two options for this, but they don't seem to do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dalchina, Aug 2, 2015.

1. dalchina New Member

Drop Shadows: Advanced settings still has two options- redundant?

Hi, I read that in a development build in 2014 drop shadows were reintroduced. There are still two options for this, but they don't seem to do anything.

Are they just redundant now?

Conversely, is there any program that works satisfactorily with Win 10? I tried Y'z shadow, but this sometimes leaves an empty frame- in Win 8, disable, enable cleared that, but not in Win 10.

Shadows is ugly. There is also Stardock's ShadowFX, which I've not tried yet (still awaiting an email response).

Given the flat title bar colour which sometimes makes it impossible to distinguish one window from another when overlaid, especially when the default white, any means I can find to distinguish windows, pending a working version of Aeroglass, is helpful. (I have used a theme to colour them which helps- the experimental Aeroglass reintroduces the distinction between in focus and background windows in the title bar which has been astonishingly omitted in Win 10.

Thanks!

:)

dalchina, Aug 2, 2015

2. Drop Shadows on Desktop

I want to eliminate the drop shadows on the text under the icons on my desktop. I used the following procedure that hasn't worked:

- Control Panel, System

- Advanced system settings

- Advanced tab, Performance, Settings

- Unchecked "Save task bar thumbnail previews", "Show shadows under mouse pointer", "Show shadows under windows", and "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop"

The drop shadows are still there. How do I get rid of them?

BeverlyHedberg, Aug 2, 2015
  3. SiddhN Win User
    Problem in disabling drop shadows on desktop icons.

I disabled drop shadows for desktop icon labels from advanced system settings. It works for about 5 seconds and then shadows again start appearing, despite the setting being still set to disable.

How do I fix it?

SiddhN, Aug 2, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, so for anyone who would like configurable drop shadows in Win 10, I seem to have identified the problem with Y'z Shadow.

This process- ApplicationFrameHost.exe - is running when the empty shadow frames are displayed.
    So far it seems that if the display is turned off automatically (by your power scheme) then when you re-enable the display, often this process starts running, and 1 or more empty outline shadows are displayed.

I've written a simple script that tests for this process and closes it.

There are a number of reports about this process, associated with Nvidia drivers. E.g.
    SLi on Windows 10 Technical Preview - Microsoft Community
    &
    Application Frame Host eats way to much CPU - Microsoft Community
    - which also suggests it is necessary for Tiled apps (I've not tried this).

dalchina, Aug 6, 2015
Thema:

1. Drop Shadows: Advanced settings still has two options- redundant? - Similar Threads - Drop Shadows Advanced

2. The option "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" is not showing in the advanced...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The option "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" is not showing in the advanced...: Hello everybody.I tried and searched for hours. Couldn't find a thread or a solution in the web for my problem. The issue is as the title says.The ways i tried:1. editing the registry "ListviewShadow" from 1 to 02. searching in the advanced settings for the option "use drop...
  3. The option "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" is not showing in the advanced...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The option "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" is not showing in the advanced...: Hello everybody.I tried and searched for hours. Couldn't find a thread or a solution in the web for my problem. The issue is as the title says.The ways i tried:1. editing the registry "ListviewShadow" from 1 to 02. searching in the advanced settings for the option "use drop...
  4. Drop shadows reappearing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drop shadows reappearing: Hi,I prefer to have no drop shadows on my icons they make me dizzy but after a recent update the drop shadows reappeared. I checked my settings and the selection was unchecked. I tried a reboot to be sure but the dropshadows remain. Please help....
  5. Drop shadows reappearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drop shadows reappearing: Hi,I prefer to have no drop shadows on my icons they make me dizzy but after a recent update the drop shadows reappeared. I checked my settings and the selection was unchecked. I tried a reboot to be sure but the dropshadows remain. Please help....
  6. Drop shadows on desktop icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drop shadows on desktop icons: The inability to stop drop shadows has been going on for far too long. All the Microsoft responses stating the fix as checking the Drop Shadow box is ridiculous. It doesn't stop the problem. I've started to use Virtual Desktop more often and EVERY TIME I switch desktops...
  7. Missing options in advanced BIOS settings

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Missing options in advanced BIOS settings: [IMG]The only option in advanced settings is CPU Setup. I’m looking for memory remapping, but can’t find it anywhere. I have a Lenovo Erazer X315. Any help?...
  8. Drop shadows on desktop icons remains irrespective of setting

Drop shadows on desktop icons remains irrespective of setting: So my appearance settings are set to no drop shadows and my registry key for the same is set to zero yet the shadows remain and they make it very difficult to actually read the text. Its the same on two separate PC's Are MS going to actually fix this switch?...
  9. No advanced options in troubleshoot settings.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No advanced options in troubleshoot settings.: I installed Xubuntu but would now like to remove it. I hit restart while holding the shift key but when I click on troubleshoot there is only Startup Settings. Why? And how do I fix this submitted by /u/GuidonBedon [link] [comments]...
  10. No advanced setting option for email

No advanced setting option for email: New computer. Windows 10. Email account active but no email. Manage tab supposed to have advanced settings to enter smtp, etc but its not there. What am i missing here?...