Windows 10: Dropbox: Can It Change My Files?

Discus and support Dropbox: Can It Change My Files? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Sorry to be creating a thread on this, but this is a super urgent problem that I need help with. I'm feeling very untrusting of Dropbox and I just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by NiceAndShy, May 23, 2017.

1. Dropbox: Can It Change My Files?

Sorry to be creating a thread on this, but this is a super urgent problem that I need help with.

I'm feeling very untrusting of Dropbox and I just want to check that my files haven't been altered by Dropbox.

How can I check that my files haven't been altered or tampered with in some way?

Thank you!

:)

NiceAndShy, May 23, 2017

2. File Explorer freezes when I make a new folder in windows 10 Anniversary Update

In my case, the problem is Dropbox: disabling the Dropbox extensions solves the problem. Uninstalling and reinstalling Dropbox changes nothing, so for the moment I will leave the Dropbox extensions disabled.

Can you confirm it is Dropbox for you too?

Andrea Baldinazzo, May 23, 2017
  3. luvtivo Win User
    Personalization - Background Slideshow - Cannot select folder

I had the same problem and changed my Dropbox folder to C:\Dropbox. Dropbox setup wouldn't let me do that so I just uninstalled Dropbox and reinstalled. During the install I changed the folder location to C:\ and the software just added the Dropbox name
    to the folder. Now when I point to my C:\Dropbox\Wallpaper folder it works as it should.

luvtivo, May 23, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

Dropbox: Can It Change My Files?

I seriously doubt Dropbox would do this, they are a major well known company and if they started doing that, you would hear about it all over the net.

I personally have never noticed any file being altered.

swarfega, May 23, 2017
  5. pparks1 Win User
    What leads you to believe that somebody at Dropbox is doing anything with your files? I've never noticed anything off with any of my files in Dropbox.

pparks1, May 23, 2017
  6. This goes for me also. Four computers, and two phones. Never had an issue since I started using DP at least five years ago. If you're running it on multiple devices maybe sync is off/not working correctly somewhere causing issues?

Bobby Phoenix, May 24, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    Ditto, no problem. If really concerned one could compress files into a .zip before uploading, could even password-protect that .zip file. Just be sure to pass that information along to whomever needs it.

Berton, May 24, 2017
  8. mrgeek Win User

Are you sure that editing permissions are disabled for shared files ?

mrgeek, May 24, 2017
  9. Thanks!

Is there a way I can check if files in my Dropbox folder have been altered like by looking at the "modified" date?

NiceAndShy, May 28, 2017
  10. Mystere Win User
    You're asking if you can tell if a file was modified by looking at it's last modified date?

Seems like a self-answering question to me.

Mystere, May 28, 2017
  11. Well, I wasn't sure because I'm not very savvy with this area.

What's the best way for me to make sure that my Dropbox files haven't been modified from the time I first uploaded them?

NiceAndShy, Jun 5, 2017
  12. Mystere Win User
    Use a tool like https://www.boxcryptor.com/en/

Not only does it prevent anyone from accessing or changing your files (if they're not on your local PC), but it encrypts them as well. Because the encryption happens on your local PC, all DropBox can see are the encrypted contents.

Mystere, Jun 5, 2017
  13. Dropbox: Can It Change My Files?

nice, will it work for my pc (only my pc) or my dropbox account?

plus, will it work only for me even after a clean windows install?

sakiborislam, Jun 6, 2017
  14. Mystere Win User
    I've never used it myself, so i can't tell you with any certainty. I can tell you that DropBox themselves will only see encrypted data, though I believe you need their professional version to encrypt the file names as well.

You have to be careful with encryption though. If you do a clean install, you may lose the encryption keys and your data becomes useless to you. You need to back up those keys on a local USB drive or something. If you have the keys backed up, then you can get access to those files again after a clean install.

Mystere, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Dropbox: Can It Change My Files? - Similar Threads - Dropbox Change Files

2. In my error Desktop files linked to Dropbox

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In my error Desktop files linked to Dropbox: Did a System Restore on my Dell Inspiron 5593 Win11 Home up to date Jan 13, 2024. Did bec. I messed up my File Explorer and was unable to reset. Unfortunately, in another error, copied my Desktop folder to Dropbox. Now after System Restore, my desktop files and pix are linked...
  3. In my error Desktop files linked to Dropbox

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In my error Desktop files linked to Dropbox: Did a System Restore on my Dell Inspiron 5593 Win11 Home up to date Jan 13, 2024. Did bec. I messed up my File Explorer and was unable to reset. Unfortunately, in another error, copied my Desktop folder to Dropbox. Now after System Restore, my desktop files and pix are linked...
  4. Why are my files not syncing with dropbox

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are my files not syncing with dropbox: Ever since I went to windows 11 my files are not syncing with dropbox. When I save them or create new folders using file manager the files/folders are read only. I have tried to unclick read only but it keeps coming back on. I uninstalled windows 11 thinking that was the...
  5. Why are my files not syncing with dropbox

Why are my files not syncing with dropbox: Ever since I went to windows 11 my files are not syncing with dropbox. When I save them or create new folders using file manager the files/folders are read only. I have tried to unclick read only but it keeps coming back on. I uninstalled windows 11 thinking that was the...
  6. Why are my files not syncing with dropbox

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Grey x on dropbox files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Grey x on dropbox files: HelloI have unsynced and resynced a dropbox folder and i can not open the files on windows 10. They appear with a grey x on them and i have contacted dropbox who have confirmed that the dropbox folder is synced up to date.I can open the files on the dropbox app and via the...
  8. Grey x on dropbox files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Grey x on dropbox files: HelloI have unsynced and resynced a dropbox folder and i can not open the files on windows 10. They appear with a grey x on them and i have contacted dropbox who have confirmed that the dropbox folder is synced up to date.I can open the files on the dropbox app and via the...
  9. File History and Dropbox

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History and Dropbox: Hi all, I am using Windows 11 File History for a physical backup of my files. File History backs up everything in my C:\Users\[my name here] folder. This folder includes, among other things, my Documents, Pictures and Dropbox folders. Since the contents of my Documents and...
  10. File History and Dropbox

File History and Dropbox: Hi all, I am using Windows 11 File History for a physical backup of my files. File History backs up everything in my C:\Users\[my name here] folder. This folder includes, among other things, my Documents, Pictures and Dropbox folders. Since the contents of my Documents and...