Windows 10: dual ( 7 / 10 ) boot question

Discus and support dual ( 7 / 10 ) boot question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; i'm building a new windows 10 desktop to replace current windows 7 desktop but since all my software is only guaranteed to run on 7 i plan to build the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by g1981c, Aug 13, 2017.

1. g1981c Win User

dual ( 7 / 10 ) boot question

i'm building a new windows 10 desktop to replace current windows 7 desktop but since all my software is only guaranteed to run on 7 i plan to build the new desktop as a dual boot ( 10 + 7 ) first and then eventually ( in a year or two ) convert to 10 only.

i haven't purchased any parts yet but i will be using intel X299 platform, tentatively Asrock X299 taichi motherboard and either 2 or 3 Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSDs 250 GB each in RAID 0.

so the plan is set up the raid with total 500 GB and create a 100 GB partition for each windows with 300 GB unallocated space. the unallocated space will allow me to expand either partition as needed in the future. then eventually i will remove the windows 7 and its partition.

the question is what would be right way to do that - should i install windows 10 first or windows 7 first ? ( to make sure the 10 continues working once 7 is removed )

if removing windows 7 partition is too dangerous i would have to go with 3 X 250 GB SSDs and a total of 750 GB space in which case i would never need the extra space freed from windows 7 and i could leave both OSs forever but it would be a waste of extra $150.

i hope the question is clear, if not - let me know.

:)

g1981c, Aug 13, 2017

2. Dual-boot Windows 7/10 or 8/10; does pestering stop?

I understand dual-boots and have built a few of them. That's not my question.

Suppose I build a dual-boot 7/10 or 8/10. Given the high degree of pestering Microsoft is doing to 7 and 8 users to get them to move to 10, will Microsoft continue to pester me when I use the 7/8 half of a dual-boot? Does Windows Update still offer the many
    move-to-10 upgrades or does that stop?

baroque-quest, Aug 13, 2017
  3. Dual boot installation?

I currently dual boot Win 7 and Win 8 on my Dell PC. I want to do the clean install of Win 10 on the Win 8 partition. My question is will it affect the Win 7 partition and will I be able to dual boot win 7 and Win 10?

Thanks,

Brian

Sportsdadmi39, Aug 13, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Always install the oldest OS first, if you can, when setting up dual booting. So that would be Windows 7 first. Installing the newest OS last will update the boot files to their latest version. Installing the older OS last will downgrade the boot files to a previous version - you may still get dual booting with an older menu style - or it may break booting the newer OS altogether.

NavyLCDR, Aug 13, 2017
  5. g1981c Win User
    thanks. i read that you should generally install older system first when doing dual boot but then i came across a thread ( don't remember where ) where a guy had two operating systems on two separate hard drives and when he simply unplugged one hard drive the other wouldn't boot because some sort of boot partition was on the drive he unplugged even though the system he wanted to boot was on the other drive that was still plugged in. his problem stemmed from him unplugging the drive where the FIRST operating system went which also received the boot partition, which got me worried about installing first the system that i want to eventually delete ...

however in my case i won't be unplugging anything and both OSs will be on the same RAID so obviously different situation ...

so are you saying it doesn't matter which of the two OSs i plan to eventually keep ? i should still install the older one first ?

EDIT: as i mentioned previously if there is no safe way to remove one OS and reclaim the disk space without risking ruining the other then i have the option of keeping both forever - i would just need to start off with a bigger raid because on my current system i just ran out of 256 GB SSD drive C ( with all storage on separate rotational drive D ) so for the next build i want to have available 500 GB for windows 10 plus 250 GB for windows 7 or 500 GB for both IF i will eventually be reclaiming the space used by the 7. these will be only for OS / program files. i will move the rotational drive D with all my files from old desktop to new without touching anything on it.

g1981c, Aug 13, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Make sure you are installing SP1 Windows 7 64-bit. That is the only version of Windows 7 that will install in UEFI mode. Windows 7 and Windows 10 both, by default, create a separate partition containing the boot files. In legacy BIOS the boot partition is called a System Reserved partition. In UEFI, the boot partition is called the EFI System Partition. When you are installing Windows, it will look for an existing System Reserved or EFI System partition that the computer is normally booting from. If it finds one, then it adds the Windows being installed to the existing partition - it will not create a new one. That is why when a person installs a second version of Windows onto a second drive, it will stop booting if they later remove the first drive. The second Windows did not create any new partitions for booting - it only added the second Windows to the already existing boot partition on the first drive.

In your case, you will be installing the second Windows into a separate partition on the same drive. If you remove either Windows installation by removing or reformatting it's partition, the boot partition will still be on the drive and you will continue to have boot capability. The only thing you will be "breaking" is the pointer in those boot files to the Windows that you delete. It's only when you remove the System Reserved or EFI System Partition that you damage booting - such as reformatting the entire physical hard drive/SSD or removing it from the computer.

NavyLCDR, Aug 13, 2017
  7. CountMike New Member
    I would strongly suggest separate SDD for one of Windows. M2 RAID0 + dual BOOT on it is just asking for trouble.

CountMike, Aug 13, 2017
  8. g1981c Win User

The problem with this is when I uninstall windows 7 the space will be wasted as I won't be able to add it to the raid with windows 10 on it.

Anybody else think my plan is asking for trouble ? My win 7 is on SSD raid right now - two 128GB sata SSDs.

g1981c, Aug 13, 2017
  9. AddRAM Win User
    There is no reason to use raid with ssd`s.

Why don't you just install 10 and see if the software you need will run on it.

AddRAM, Aug 13, 2017
  10. g1981c Win User
    I watched a video where they specifically tested the raid I have in mind - 3 x m.2 SSDs and they said it was worth it ...

As for why not try windows 10 first ... It seems stressful. I want to get everything over with in a few hours and get on with life.

g1981c, Aug 13, 2017
  11. CountMike New Member
    Why not W10 first ? Because second OS will "take over" BOOT sector and UEFI and you would want W10 to handle that.
    I don't know why you want them in RAID 0, any error on any disk in that RAID will break everything. both of your OSs too. SSDs are fast enough as singles and RAID can bring you only some bragging rights without much of real world increased performance. It's also slower to BOOT because of raid drivers and BIOS have to set it every time.
    As for "couple of hours for setup" forget it, if you are not really proficient with RAID, it's gonna be more like couple (or more) days.

CountMike, Aug 13, 2017
  12. g1981c Win User
    But it's free - you think I can resist that ?

g1981c, Aug 13, 2017
  13. CountMike New Member

There are other "free" things but you have to wash your hands after !!

CountMike, Aug 13, 2017
  14. g1981c Win User
    on my current raid i did run into a problem as follows - my power supply started failing and system started giving errors and crashing - i had no idea it was power supply until it eventually exploded but before it did the computer tricked me into resetting bios into default because i thought bios was the problem - this disabled the RAID and the system would not boot ... however when i went into bios and re-enabled RAID and replaced the PSU it was as good as new ... so in my very limited experience RAID isn't really that scary ...

also while i had rotational drives fail and usb drives fail i never had an SSD fail yet so again, based on my limited experience i am not super worried about SSD failing and taking down the raid with it ...

but most importantly the motherboard has three m.2 slots which means spreading the load across 3 flash controllers ( which can get hot enough to throttle even with a copper heatsink ) thus increasing total IOPS and i can't resist the urge to take advantage of this ...

only other option would be to get HHHL ( half height half length ) enterprise SSD with like 1 TB capacity which would match the performance of three M.2 drives in raid ... but not only would this be expensive it would take the last PCI-e lanes on the mobo and i would have nowhere to put my firewire adapter for my firewire soundcard ...

i mean i guess i could figure something out if i really wanted to but M.2 raid would be a super clean solution for me ...

EDIT: besides, even if the RAID array fails my data is on a separate rotational drive anyway so it won't be affected ...

g1981c, Aug 13, 2017
  15. AddRAM Win User
    What`s free ?

AddRAM, Aug 14, 2017
Thema:

1. dual ( 7 / 10 ) boot question - Similar Threads - dual boot question

2. Dual boot question 7-10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot question 7-10: Hello, I thought it might be a good idea to make a dual boot system,so I can gradually tweak my system to upgrade to W10. But... Can I "tweak"all installed programs so they work under w10 and under w7? 135753
  3. Dual-Boot 10 and 7,... 7 won't boot

Dual-Boot 10 and 7,... 7 won't boot: Below is a listing of my rig's internals. This was my umty-8th build 6years ago, with the Crucial M4 SSD and the Program drive and the Backup drive. The 1TB game drive was added about two years ago. Note: This rig has been nothing but fast and trouble free. Also, I build...
  4. Dual Boot Question

Dual Boot Question: I wanted to update and run a dual boot on 2 separate ssd's. The original ssd has 8.1, and I tried to do an install using an ISO file I made of 10 on the other ssd but could not get past the authentication code since it would not accept my code for windows 8.1. After several...
  5. dual boot question

dual boot question: Thank you for taking the time to read this. I currently have a dual boot setup with Windows 7 and Linux Mint. The upgrade to Win 10 is ready. Will the upgrade destroy my boot sector ? If it does, will I be able to re-install Linux after upgrading to Win 10 from Windows 7?...
  6. Dual Boot question

Dual Boot question: Hi, I have set a dual boot config, on a laptop with W 7 x64 preinstalled. Laptop has one disk drive, before dual boot, with 3 primary partitions, from left to right, in Computer Management: 1. Recovery OEM primary 15 GB 2. System Reserved 100 MB primary (70 MB free)...
  7. Dual Boot question (7 and 10)

Dual Boot question (7 and 10): I have Windows 7, and want to try Windows 10. But I want to set up a dual boot, in case some of my old software doesn't work with Windows 10. This forum has lots of good info on how to do this, but I'm still fuzzy on a couple details. Here's my question: If I create a new...
  8. Questions about dual boot with Windows 10 and Windows 7

Questions about dual boot with Windows 10 and Windows 7: Hello TenForums, first post from a forum lurker new to Windows 10. I've been using Windows 7 Home for years and found Sevenforums very helpful just like this forum. I have read this thread and other tutorials about this topic on other sites/blogs and still have a few question...
  9. Windows 7 and 10 dual Boot Scenario question

Windows 7 and 10 dual Boot Scenario question: Here is what I am trying to accomplish 1. upgrade my win 7 pro 64bit install to win 10 LTSB 2. reinstall my present win 7 install from image back up then change my key Reason for this is that I have lost a couple of install disks during a recent move. Need these 2 disks...
  10. Windows 10/7 dual boot question - key

Windows 10/7 dual boot question - key: hi guys I apologize if this is covered elsewhere, I could not find the exact answer to my question. Both my laptop and desktop have windows 7, different versions. Both have the upgrade ready for them. I want to dual boot win7 and 10 for a while, likely will fully...