Windows 10: Dual boot 2 copies of Windows 10

Discus and support Dual boot 2 copies of Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, Is it possible to dual boot 2 copies of Windows 10? I wanted to use one for daily use and one to test insider builds. Will there be any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kamalaggi, Aug 24, 2015.

1. kamalaggi Win User

Dual boot 2 copies of Windows 10

Hi,

Is it possible to dual boot 2 copies of Windows 10? I wanted to use one for daily use and one to test insider builds.

Will there be any issues with activation if I run two different editions of Windows 10 on one PC.

I have a full retail edition of Windows 7 Home Premium and a full retail edition of Windows 8.1 Pro to upgrade from.

My Windows 7 is just sitting in a draw doing nothing and I thought I could put it to some good use.

Thanks

:)

kamalaggi, Aug 24, 2015

2. Dual-Boot Two Copies of Windows 10 on Same SSD

Hello all,

I have a work laptop that I am trying to dual-boot with two copies of Windows 10 on the same SSD. One partition is for my work, the other is for my personal use. Both copies of Windows 10 are legal Windows 10 Pro copies and both have been installed and ran
    at least once, as well as both being updated to latest versions of Windows 10.

Dual boot 2 copies of Windows 10 [​IMG]

From the Windows 10 Boot Manager, both partitions show up with no issue:

The problem I am having occurs (about 75% of the time) when I try to boot the PC from a complete shutdown or "cold start" (it works just fine after a restart or sleep action).

Booting from a complete shutdown the laptop boots straight to "Preparing Automatic Repair" --> "Diagnosing your PC" --> "Attempting repairs" where the attempts fail and the laptop gives me the option to Shutdown or Advanced options.

Shutdown does nothing. In the advanced options I have tried everything I know how:

-I have tried to reset all of my BIOS settings by going to Troubleshoot>Advanced options>UEFI Firmware Settings where I reset everything to default

-I have tried using Startup Repair, which is where the issue tries to fix itself (so, useless for this case)

-I have tried "Continue" and "Use another operating system" to try and switch between the two booting OSs and there's no luck

Advanced options:

Troubleshoot>Advanced options:

UEFI Options>Boot Sequence:

This issue only occurs every so often. If I reset the UEFI settings to default, sometimes it will go through and complete the boot to the OS I select where I can see both partitions in the "This PC" section:

My questions are:

-Does this occur because I have both instances of Windows 10 installed on the same SSD?

-If not, are there any solutions to help this error from occurring every time I boot?

Laptop Model: Dell Latitude E5450

Thank you for your support!

NathanMcCourt, Aug 24, 2015
  3. Dual-Boot Two Copies of Windows 10 on Same SSD

Hi Nathan,

You hard drive must be firmly connected to your computer as this can be a factor that can cause the issue you're experiencing now. To provide the best steps to resolve the concern, we'd like to know if you're getting any error messages when performing an
    automatic repair. This will help us identify if the issue is about the dual boot configuration or the drive letter where your operating system is installed.

Meanwhile, you can refer to the links below which may help you with the boot issue:

Repair the boot menu on a dual-boot PC

BCDBoot Command-Line Options

We look forward to your response.

Angela Pun, Aug 24, 2015
  4. kamalaggi Win User

What's the best way/order to install. I wanted to clean install so I can get rid of the junk. All my data is backed up.

Do I install windows 7 then Windows 8.1 on a separate hard drive and upgrade them both one by one?

Do I need to unplug any hard drives? (I have 4 in my pc)

Thanks

kamalaggi, Aug 24, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Upgrade one version of Windows 7 or 8.1 to gain activation. Make sure it's activated. After that you can clean install Windows 10 on the same computer as many times as you want and it will activate based on hardware information stored on Microsoft activation servers. Just click the tiny little "skip" text when it asks you for a product key. You have to stay with the same version, Home or Pro, though - no mixing versions.

NavyLCDR, Aug 24, 2015
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Please post a screen shot of Disk Management.

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual boot 2 copies of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Dual boot copies

2. 2 copies of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2 copies of Windows 10: I have 2 copies of Windows 10 on my conputer. I think I do because on booting a screen comes up asking me to select Windows 10 or Windows 10. I have the Disk Manager image attached. How do I get rid of one copy?...
  3. Dual Boot: 2 different Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual Boot: 2 different Windows 10: Hello everyone, I am having a little bit of trouble and hoping you guys can help me out. I want to set up a dual boot with two different versions of Windows 10. The first (and primary) would be the 2004 update with my primary C drive, the second would be a flash drive with...
  4. 2 Windows 7 (dual boot) to 2 Windows 10 (dual boot): Is this possible?

2 Windows 7 (dual boot) to 2 Windows 10 (dual boot): Is this possible?: I have already checked that the process to upgrade my Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit laptop to the equivalent Win 10 runs smoothly keeping almost every application and all data perfect. The point is that I have a rather complex (for me) configuration in an HP system with two Win...
  5. Dual-Boot Installation - 2 copies of Windows

Dual-Boot Installation - 2 copies of Windows: I am setting up the dual windows on my laptop. The laptop has 2 drives (ssd 256gb and hdd 1tb). I am wondering if someone can give some advice on how the dual-boot windows installation should be achieved. The purpose of putting dual boot windows on this laptop is that we...
  6. dual boot on m.2 ssd

dual boot on m.2 ssd: i have a laptop hp 15-ay503tx with core i5 6th gen 8 gb ddr4 ram 1 TB hdd 5400rpm. currently i am using dual boot windows 7 ultimate and windows 10 both on same hdd on different partitions. i am going to install a 860 EVO 250GB SATA III M.2 SSD on this laptop and...
  7. dual boot on m.2 ssd

dual boot on m.2 ssd: i have a laptop hp 15-ay503tx with core i5 6th gen 8 gb ddr4 ram 1 TB hdd 5400rpm. currently i am using dual boot windows 7 ultimate and windows 10 both on same hdd on different partitions. i am going to install a 860 EVO 250GB SATA III M.2 SSD on this laptop and...
  8. Dual boot Windows 10 & Windows 7 using 2 HD's

Dual boot Windows 10 & Windows 7 using 2 HD's: I have Windows 10 installed on one HD and running well. I've just added a second formatted HD where I wish to install Windows 7. My question - should I first disconnect the Windows 10 HD before installing Windows 7 on the new HD? My concern is that I not mess up...
  9. Dual Boot question #2

Dual Boot question #2: Hello, I have a dual boot laptop (Legacy BIOS), with W 10 Pro x64 (clean installation from Media Creation Tool dvd) and W7 x64 The disk management layout is the following: (from left to right): Basic MBR Hard Disk 0 1) Recovery OEM Sony partition 15 GB primary (hidden...
  10. 2 x Windows 10, dual boot ?

2 x Windows 10, dual boot ?: Hello everyone, Just want to ask if it's possible to have 2 x Windows 10, dual boot. Would that be possible, at all ? If yes, could i rename one of them, or both, the way i want ? For example, when i select the OS, it should appear something like " Windows 10 gaming "...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dual boot 2 copies of windows 10