Windows 10: Dual Boot Anomally?

Discus and support Dual Boot Anomally? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi guys I posted this question on Tom's Harware but nobody on that forum answered me yet or seems to know the difference between the Win8.1 Pro and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by expeditionist, May 31, 2016.

1. Dual Boot Anomally?

Hi guys

I posted this question on Tom's Harware but nobody on that forum answered me yet or seems to know the difference between the Win8.1 Pro and Win10 Pro 300MB/450MB partitions, so I thought I'd try and ask on TenForums instead. Here goes....

I've 2 Macrium system images to restore to 2 separate SSDs for the purpose of dual booting Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 10 Pro.

Both system images have all 4 partitions created by Windows on install - see images...

Dual Boot Anomally? [​IMG]

- Win8.1 Pro image has 300MB, 100MB, 128MB + C

Dual Boot Anomally? [​IMG]

- Win10 Pro image has 450MB, 100MB, 16MB + C

Now it's my understanding that the 300MB and 450MB partitions each contain files needed to use Bitlocker with each Windows Pro version respectively, as well as the BCD files.

I'm tempted to just restore all partitions on the Win8.1 Pro image to the first SSD, then just restore the C partition from the Win10 Pro image to the second SSD and use Easy BCD to create the boot loader for Win10 Pro in the 300MB partition on the 1st drive. That'd roughly equate to what you get when you install a dual boot of Win8.1 Pro and then Win10 Pro normally.

But what about the Win10 Pro Bitlocker files on the 450MB partition?

And what is different with the 450MB partition that it needs an extra 60MB in size straight after install - do I loose some other functionality if the 450MB boot partition is ditched in favour of the 300MB boot partition?

Thanks

:)

expeditionist, May 31, 2016
  2. lacrumb Win User

Always booting from the wrong drive

Drive K is not a boot drive.

If dual booting Windows located on the drive K: it will be changed to C:

You have to do the dual boot from the BIOS.

Check post from Andre da Costa on Dual booting.

lacrumb, May 31, 2016
  3. lacrumb Win User
    Boot Issues, Partitioning Errors, Backup, and Dual-Booting Windows 10

This was in fact a dual boot problem. All VM is dual boot.

lacrumb, May 31, 2016
  4. Kyhi Win User

Dual Boot Anomally?

those two partitions on separate drives 300 / 450 are the OS Recovery Tools - WinRE.wim
    Windows 8.1 uses a Recovery Image Partition - which you do not have anyway..
    Windows 10 recovers itself from the windows\winsxs folder...

not sure how best to proceed if you enabled bit locker

5. Thanks Kyhi - in that case it might be better to try and restore the Win10 image completely and then just the C partition from the Win8.1 Pro image and then add the Win8.1 Pro boot files, but as you say, what about Bitlocker?

I'll hang on a couple of days then - somebody here ought to know?

expeditionist, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Dual Boot Anomally?

1. Dual Boot Anomally? - Similar Threads - Dual Boot Anomally

2. Dual boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot.: Hi and thanks for the many helpful articles on here. Many are similar to my query but don’t seem to give the complete answer. My existing system running Windows 10 Pro 32bit has all my apps some 16bit installed and running well. Now my new system with similar hardware just...
  3. dual booting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dual booting: So i have a dell laptop running windows 10 home and i want to dual boot windows 8.1 can someone tell me how to do this. thank you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-booting/395dc945-8287-40ad-a71e-0bf8ff3afe7c
  4. Dual Boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Boot: This a fairly new system 10 months and a clean install 1 week of Windows 10 Pro. I have several drives available for Windows 11, but after the install of 10 and all the drives unplugged to get a good install, How should I go about the install of 11 and save myself the hassle...
  5. Dual boot

Dual boot: Hi All, Been searching for a clear answer but haven't found one yet. A few days ago I installed Win11 Pro preview on a spare drive with Win10 Pro already on my main m.2 drive. All worked fine for dual booting. The next day I was having some bugs in Win10 with right-clicking...
  6. dual boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    dual boot: how do i remove a dual boot to make it single boot system w/Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot/1f4d89b9-3e50-4e91-97b5-f8589935661c
  7. Dual Booting

Dual Booting: I have Windows 10 set in msconfig as my default operating system. When I turn on the computer I get the black Boot Manager screen and if I want Windows 7 I have to use the up arrow and hit enter. my question is how do you get that blue screen with both operating systems in a...
  8. Dual Boot

Dual Boot: Can I dual boot, Windows 10 and Ubuntu. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot/302b7f69-68b0-4eb7-8a83-5b181a481eba
  9. Dual booting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual booting: I have set up a VHD and loaded it with ubuntu 18.04.1 LST. The problem is I can't make the VHD visible so I can't dual boot my laptop. If I go to This PC and look, all I see is C:. If I open C: then I can see the VHD but can't access it. What did I do wrong? How can I fix...
  10. Dual Boot

Dual Boot: This is a two part question, and please note I do not have Win10 myself. In fact I do not have direct access to the computer I am talking about although I do have the full technical details of it, including all drivers, etc. Firstly, If Win10 is already installed on a...