Windows 10: dual boot - boot loader not always loaded

Discus and support dual boot - boot loader not always loaded in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello! I got a problem with my Windows 10 / Windows 7 dual boot system. The boot loader does not come up every time. It depends on what I did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dormi98, Dec 18, 2016.

1. dormi98 Win User

dual boot - boot loader not always loaded

Hello!

I got a problem with my Windows 10 / Windows 7 dual boot system.

The boot loader does not come up every time. It depends on what I did before.
    Shut down Windows 10 -> boot loader does not show up on next boot and Windows 10 boots up.
    Reboot Windows 10 -> boot loader shows up and I can choose which OS to start.
    Shut down Windows 7 -> boot loader shows up and I can choose which OS to start.
    Reboot Windows 7 -> boot loader shows up and I can choose which OS to start.

Of course I want the boot loader to show up every time.

What I did:
    Windows 10 was preinstalled. Then I reduced the partition size of Windows 10 and created another primary partition for Windows 7. Windows 7 was then installed in this new partition.

Does anyone know what causes this behavior?

Thanks in advance

:)

dormi98, Dec 18, 2016

2. Forced Boot Order

Hello, I have recently enconutered a problem with the latest windows update, that caused my dual boot not to boot properly. It loads windows all of the time, even after reinstallation of the dual boot. The dual boot was working before the update, and the
    only way that you can access the other Os is by manually switching to it with f12.

Also the second operating system does not appear on Msconfig.

So just to clarify, it loads the windows boot loader instead of the grub boot loader.

Specs

Toshiba Satellite

Windows 10 Home fully updated

Dual boot: Ubuntu Desktop 15.10 fully updated

Default grub bootloader

Default windows bootloader

Neoredstone, Dec 18, 2016
  3. Windows 10 / Ubuntu dual boot update/reset problem (error code : 0x800703ED)

Hi again, Arthur.

Yes, manually load the BCD which should work.

Then reassert the Windows Boot Loader, try adding Linux to a Dual Boot.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Dec 18, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Dec 19, 2016
  5. dormi98 Win User
    Many Thanks - That did it.
    It can be very easy sometimes.

Problem solved

dormi98, Dec 20, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yep.... just need to know someone who has the easy answer dual boot - boot loader not always loaded :)

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. dual boot - boot loader not always loaded - Similar Threads - dual boot boot

2. Boot Loader not Found on Boot Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot Loader not Found on Boot Drive: My M.2 NVMe Win10 boot disk is no longer recognized as a boot disk. In the motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B650E BIOS the drive is correctly recognized mfgr and size. But the BIOS does not see a Boot Loader on it Under Boot Priority I expect to see Windows Boot Manager and is is...
  3. Boot Loader not Found on Boot Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot Loader not Found on Boot Drive: My M.2 NVMe Win10 boot disk is no longer recognized as a boot disk. In the motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B650E BIOS the drive is correctly recognized mfgr and size. But the BIOS does not see a Boot Loader on it Under Boot Priority I expect to see Windows Boot Manager and is is...
  4. Boot Loader not Found on Boot Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. dual boot without boot loader - Windows 10 Pro + Windows 10 Pro

dual boot without boot loader - Windows 10 Pro + Windows 10 Pro: About Dual boot if having installed Windows 10 Pro - but OS suffers cannot update OS neither install nor update Applications If I wanted dual boot it 1 If insert a second SSD, and install Windows 10 Pro --- this process will create a Boot loader - and at boot choose the...
  6. Cannot find windows boot loader after installation of Dual boot PopOS 20.04.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot find windows boot loader after installation of Dual boot PopOS 20.04.: I've dual booted popOS 20.04 alongside windows 10. After installation the boot menu only displays these options: 1. pop os current kernel 2. pop os old kernel 3. some other option The previous EFI partition that includes windows boot file got formatted and i've to create a...
  7. Boot Loader

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Loader: I have a HP Z220 workstation (got it off of Amazon), and I'm so interested in booting off of a M.2 SSD. I found a paper on this called Clover-EFI bootloader method, and it sounds like it works. Here's my problem, I do know a little bit about programming, but not familiar with...
  8. Windows 10 Dual Boot wireless keyboard not always loading

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Dual Boot wireless keyboard not always loading: After upgrading my Vista/Win7 dual boot system to Vista/Win10 I have been experiencing issues with my KeySonic ACK-540RF wireless keyboard failing to load on “most” occasions also when the dual boot menu loads it usually appears as text on the screen occasionally the dual...
  9. Help with boot loader, deleted boot partitions.

Help with boot loader, deleted boot partitions.: The other day i deleted my EFI partition along with one other, the reason for this is because i was trying to get a Ubuntu dual boot to work. Before doing this i knew i was going to brick my windows installation. But now i really need to get my windows partition back up and...
  10. Possible Boot Loader Corruption

Possible Boot Loader Corruption: I have a Dual Boot Windows 10 Desktop (or did have) with one hard drive. The primary partition is Windows 10 - 1 (C) and the scondary partiton is Windows 10 - 2 (E). I booted normally this morning and ran disk cleaning and defrag software which is normal. Earlier I...