Windows 10: Dual Boot Install Windows 7 on Windows 10

Discus and support Dual Boot Install Windows 7 on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi All, I already have Windows 10 Home x64 on my notebook. I had upgraded from Windows 8.1. I have never had Windows 7 on this system. I want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Folen Angel, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Dual Boot Install Windows 7 on Windows 10

Hi All,

I already have Windows 10 Home x64 on my notebook. I had upgraded from Windows 8.1.

I have never had Windows 7 on this system. I want to dual boot install Windows 7 on a partition so that I can play some games that are not compatible with Windows 10. *Sad

I know Microsoft recommends installing the older system first. Is there a way to install Windows 7 once Windows 10 is already on the computer?

Thanks. *Smile

:)

Folen Angel, Nov 3, 2015

2. I would like to keep Windows 7 and replace Windows 8.1 with Windows 10. Would it be possible to install 10 and keep the dual boot setup with 7?

* Original Title: Dual Boot

Hello,

My computer has Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 installed with a dual boot setup. They are both installed on the same drive(1 TB) with two equal partitions. I would like to keep Windows 7 and replace Windows 8.1 with Windows 10. Would it be possible to install
    10 and keep the dual boot setup with 7?

BrianMcKeigan, Nov 3, 2015
  3. How do I restore dual boot capability after Windows 10 clean install removed it

My computer was dual-boot with Windows 7 boot partitions on two separate drives. After upgrading to Windows 10, the dual boot provision worked fine. However after a clean install of Windows 10, dual-boot capability is no longer available. The boot partition
    for the remaining Windows 7 syBistem is intact. Only the dual boot option is gone.

I tried the changing the default operating system under System Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery, but the only choice is Windows 10. Windows 7 isn't a option. I'm guessing that the clean Windows 10 install wiped out access to the dual-boot menu.

Thanks.

Bill

B_Phillips, Nov 3, 2015
  4. Charlie Win User

Dual Boot Install Windows 7 on Windows 10

Welcome to TenForums *Biggrin
    I would say the best way would be with a VM. I would think that installing 7 after 10 would mess with your boot loader. I have not tried that scenario. Good luck to you.

Charlie, Nov 3, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can install Windows 7 on an empty, extra partition just fine. I would recommend formatting the partition as NTFS from Windows 10 first, then point the Windows 7 to the empty formatted partition for where to install to. I've done it just exactly that way myself. What you do NOT want to do is point the Windows 7 to just an unallocated empty space on the hard drive, that will create it's own boot partition and not add itself to the existing boot menu.

After you get Windows 7 installed, you can use EasyBCD to tweak your boot sequence the way you want (set the default OS, choose how long to wait for the choice, rename the entries in the boot menu, etc.)

NavyLCDR, Nov 3, 2015
  6. Thanks, will try that and report back *Smile

Folen Angel, Nov 4, 2015
  7. Thanks for the welcome and idea *Smile

Folen Angel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Dual Boot Install Windows 7 on Windows 10

1. Dual Boot Install Windows 7 on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Dual Boot Install

2. Dual booting Windows 7 and 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual booting Windows 7 and 10: I have a PC running Windows 7 Home Premium, boot mode is 'Legacy BIOS in UEFI secure boot not supported', motherboard is a Gigabyte Z87X-D3H with a 100 Mhz bus, 16GB memory and 'UEFI: American Megatrends F5 05/16/2013' with a 250GB SSD. I want to dual boot with W7 and W10....
  3. Windows 7/10 dual boot?

Windows 7/10 dual boot?: About time I changed to Windows 10 (Pro) I guess. However, I would perhaps (still mulling pros and cons) like to have a dual boot with my current Windows 7 (Home) - the PC is 99% used for gaming (X-Plane 11) and some of the older hardware I use, and want to keep, such as a...
  4. How to install dual boot windows 7 & Windows 10?

How to install dual boot windows 7 & Windows 10?: i already installed windows 10 in my lenovo ideapad 320. It has UEFI & GPT Partition.when i was trying to install windows 7 these are im getting errors 1) stucked on boot logo ( In MBR) 2) keyboard & mouse won't working (In GPT) tried UEFI & legacy mode __/\__ none of them...
  5. Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10

Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10: I have Windows 7 on my C: drive, I downloaded Windows 10 from Microsoft onto a USB connected SATA drive on my laptop. (drive F:) When I go to install Windows 10 it does not ask me what drive I want to install it to. Will it automatically install to the F: drive since that is...
  6. Windows 10 will not boot after Windows 7 Dual-boot Installation.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 will not boot after Windows 7 Dual-boot Installation.: I recently installed Windows 7 alongside Windows 10 for better support for older games, however Windows 10 will now no longer boot, it simply goes to a black screen with a circle of spinning dots with occasional disk activity. I have left it like this for at least 3 hours...
  7. Dual booting windows 7 and 10

Dual booting windows 7 and 10: I have just upgraded windows 7 to windows 10... I've bought a new ssd to install windows 10, but it was installed over my windows 7(in the old ssd) in the process.... Articles in this forum say that you cannot dual boot windows 7 and windows 10, since once you proceed to...
  8. Dual boot windows 10 & 7

Dual boot windows 10 & 7: Hello I have a computer with windows 7 home premium 64 bit with a genuine licence. I have two identicle SSDs (with different serial numbers obviously) I want to run windows 7 on one. I want to put the image of the original on the second and have a dual boot. Software...
  9. Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot: I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the...
  10. Help to Install Windows 7, dual boot with Windows 10

Help to Install Windows 7, dual boot with Windows 10: Currently I'm running Windows 10 fall creators update Pro-64 bit. For some unavoidable reason I need to install Windows 7 Ultimate alongside Windows 10 (dual boot). But whenever I'm trying to install windows 7 it's saying "Your computer is already running newer version of...