Windows 10: Dual boot installation with Win 7 + 10 -- multiple issues

Discus and support Dual boot installation with Win 7 + 10 -- multiple issues in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I wanted to experiment with Win 10 while preserving my Win 7 x64 installation. I imaged my Win 7 to a new hdd which is formatted as GPT. I repaired the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kaborka, Jul 19, 2015.

1. kaborka Win User

Dual boot installation with Win 7 + 10 -- multiple issues

I wanted to experiment with Win 10 while preserving my Win 7 x64 installation. I imaged my Win 7 to a new hdd which is formatted as GPT. I repaired the Win 7 copy using a Win 7 SP1 installation dvd and got it to boot in UEFI mode using the "Windows Boot Mgr" option in the BIOS boot menu. So far so good.

My original plan was to keep my Win7 install on the original MBR disk and upgrade the copy on the GPT disk to Win 10. Within the running copy of 7 I ran setup.exe on the Win 10 x64 Build 0162 dvd. It started checking the PC, but after a minute failed with the error msg "Setup has failed to validate the product key." This happened before any prompt to enter the Win 10 ISO key. My Win 7 key is valid "Genuine Microsoft", so I don't know what's going on with that.

Search for that error suggests corrupted Win 10 install media, so I tried clean-installing Win 10 to a separate partition on the new drive. It installed successfully. On reboot, I am presented with a new Win 10 boot menu that offers the new Win 10 by default, as well as the Win 7 copy on the GPT drive. During the Win 10 install, the new drive was the only one in the system. After installation, I reconnected one of the other drives. Win 10 will still boot, but the Win 7 option on the boot menu fails with error 0xC0000225. Since it would boot when only one drive is installed, I'm wondering if there's a drive numbering problem involved.

Is there any way under Windows 10 to view and edit the entries in the UEFI Boot Manager? On MBR disks I used EasyBCD to maintain the boot entries. I remember on XP having to change the drive numbers in boot.ini when drives were moved or added. How do you do that for UEFI boot? (EasyBCD does not support UEFI.)

The last issue had to do with ChkDsk running after I booted off the MBR drive to my original Win 7. I suspect that is caused by the "Fast boot" option in Win 10 being on by default. I've seen that problem before in dual-boot scenarios when hiberfile.sys is used by an OS on shutdown. I saw how to turn off Fast Boot, but I haven't tried it yet.

I appreciate any advice on the upgrade issue and the drive# issue in the Boot Mgr -- thanks.

:)

kaborka, Jul 19, 2015
  2. mlg63 Win User

No dual-boot at all?!

You are violating the windows license agreement and will not be able to activate windows 10 if you did not upgrade from windows 7 on your boot drive before doing a clean install. The free Windows 10 upgrade replaces your windows 7 license and windows 7 cannot
    be used or transferred after the upgrade. You will have to buy the license to activate windows 10 if you have not purchased it already.

If you are willing to purchase the win 10 license to activate it, here are dual boot instructions but windows 10 can be difficult to dual boot-- (win 7 instructions are the same for win 10)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/install-multiple-operating-system-multiboot#1TC=windows-7

Custom installation of the newest version with drive options is the key to dual booting. Changing boot order in the bios doesn't apply to dual boot. You will have to do a Custom Clean reinstall windows 10. Consider just staying with windows 7 until you replace
    the computer.

mlg63, Jul 19, 2015
  3. Dual boot installation?

I currently dual boot Win 7 and Win 8 on my Dell PC. I want to do the clean install of Win 10 on the Win 8 partition. My question is will it affect the Win 7 partition and will I be able to dual boot win 7 and Win 10?

Thanks,

Brian

Sportsdadmi39, Jul 19, 2015
  4. kaborka Win User

Found this on the TechNet Win 10 forum, just posted a few minutes ago:

That's the most likely explanation of the key validation issue. That leaves the boot menu issue to resolve.

kaborka, Jul 19, 2015
  5. Gary Win User
    Gary, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual boot installation with Win 7 + 10 -- multiple issues - Similar Threads - Dual boot installation

2. Repair Win 7 on Win 10/ Win 7 dual boot system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Repair Win 7 on Win 10/ Win 7 dual boot system: My RAM failed resulting in corruption of Win 7 installation. Now I cannot boot to Win 7 at all. I can create another partition to install Win 7, copy and create a new partition for the MBR now allocated 3.65GB to restore after reloading Win 7, or try something else. I'm not...
  3. Dual Boot Win 10 & 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Win 10 & 7: I run Win 10 (1803) on my main PC I was also running Win 10 (1803) on a secondary PC. I had a 3rd PC running Win 7 (for certain older apps I need) The PC running 7 started to have major hardware problems, so I had to junk it, but kept the HDD with 7 and my programs. I...
  4. Dual Boot Win 7 and Win10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual Boot Win 7 and Win10: Apologies if this is 'old hat'. I'm having trouble with win 10 (getting wifi working) and have a thread specifically on that subject already open. I'm in the position of installing win10 on my son's laptop and soon have to give it to him - but he lives 80 miles away. Win10...
  5. Dual boot for Win 10, Win 7 and Centos.

Dual boot for Win 10, Win 7 and Centos.: I would like to install 3 operative system (win 10 - win 7 and centos ) on the same HD in dual boot system. I would like to keep as much as possible the OS separate (no interference) each other and more stable possible. What will be the best way to do it? I should use an...
  6. dual boot win 10/ win 7

dual boot win 10/ win 7: Hi, I have been tried to install win 7 64 bits on dual boot with win 10 64 bits already installed on my laptop but always failed. I've searched tutorials but didn't find complete ones .Most of the tutos are about installing win 10 over wind 7 on dual boot but not the...
  7. Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot

Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot: After reading many posts & reply's, I now think/understand that I cannot Dual Boot win 7 and win 10 using free Win 10, if I want to do that I must buy Win 10. Reason is the MS will not allow free Win 10 if I am still using Win 7. 1st I must update my win 7 with win 10...
  8. Dual Boot Win 7 pro and Win 10

Dual Boot Win 7 pro and Win 10: I have new computer win 7 pro with all SSD. I plan to Install Win 10 onto a separate SSD (Samsung 500gb) and will just unplug my C Drive SSD with Win 7. The C drive SSD is also 500gb Samsung but only 152gb left on that drive. Any Comments / potential problems I may have. I...
  9. dual boot win 7 and win 10?

dual boot win 7 and win 10?: I currently have win10 on a partition. I have a second partition big enough for win7. Can I install win 7 on that partition. Will installing win7 result in a win7 style boot manager? If so, how to get the win 10 boot manager? One reason I want to do this, win7 has WMC...
  10. how to dual boot win 7 or 10

how to dual boot win 7 or 10: i was using easybcd setup in 7 but it has failed. select win10 leaves me with grub > prompt.*Sick so i selected win10 by using pc bios. am in 10 now. what can i use with win 10? stuff like this is worthless as it assumes both os are on same drive. mine are on seperate...