Windows 10: Dual Boot on external SSD?

Discus and support Dual Boot on external SSD? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi guys, I'm currently running Windows 7 (Bootcamp, MBP 2012) and planning to buy a new MSI laptop running Win 10. I would like to ask if it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ivan Tangkulung, May 31, 2017.

1. Dual Boot on external SSD?

Hi guys,

I'm currently running Windows 7 (Bootcamp, MBP 2012) and planning to buy a new MSI laptop running Win 10.

I would like to ask if it's possible to clone my old Windows 7 to an external SSD and run it as a Dual Boot on the new laptop?
    I'm working in music production and i don't want to reinstall all my music softwares, and re-do all the settings again.
    Will this cause activation/driver/speed problem?

Looking forward to hear from you guys! Appreciate your help

:)

Ivan Tangkulung, May 31, 2017

2. is it possible to install Win10 on an external drive?

is it possible to install Win10 on an external drive for implementing a dual boot?

WilliamCope1, May 31, 2017
  3. W10 14393 update not enough disk space

Hi Tom,

Let me inform you that during low disk space scenarios you can use external flash drive, however while updating to the next build, it takes the internal drive as the location. Hence you must have a bootable media with the most recent build and then has to
    reinstall it on the external drive, but this would be a dual boot.

If you don't need a dual boot, then you have to perform the custom installation on the C:/ drive keeping in mind that you must be able to reinstall McAfee and Office 365 again.

SujataMoktan, May 31, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Dual Boot on external SSD?

Can't say about booting the external drive but due to Registry needs you'd probably need to reinstall anyway so the necessary Registry entries are made as the external install of Windows may not pick them up from the internal drive/Windows.

Berton, May 31, 2017
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    Licensing issues aside, if the SSD with the Windows 7 clone is the E:\ drive from Windows 10 laptop, then if the elevated command:

BCDBoot E:\Windows

is run, it will add the entry for the cloned system to the BCD boot system volume to give a dual boot entry for Windows 7.

It's likely that the Windows 7 will be MBR/BIOS based, so the Windows 10 installation should be the same, and not GPT/UEFI.

Then there will be the matter of Windows 7 drivers for the laptop.

Fafhrd, Jun 1, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    Yeah, this is most likely to be the biggest issue. Windows 10 is pretty good at sorting such stuff but Windows 7 is very likely to fall over.

The simplest option would be to image backup w7 on mac, and restore image to a virtual machine instead. VMs are usually pretty good at replacing native drivers with suitable vm drivers. This has least impact on Windows 10. I would use hyper-v if 10 pro, but vmware should work as well if Home.

If running it in a vm is not feasible, what I would do is install it in a virtual hard disk rather than a usb drive - basic steps as follows:-

1) Install Macrium Reflect Free in bootcamp, and make a boot entry

2) backup current windows 7 on Mac in case crap happens

3) run sysprep to remove hardware drivers (@Kari has written a tutorial in sevenforums).

4) reboot bootcamp and boot into Macrium and image backup pc.

5) on new device, create a virtual hard disk, and attach it.

6) restore C drive partition and data partitions by not the hidden partitions from sysprepped image to vhd

7) add boot entry for vhd.

8) reboot pc and select the windows 7 vhd, and it will sort out drivers assuming suitable drivers are available. If not, it could get messy trying to sort this out. In part, this is why a vhd is good, as you can just delete it, and remove boot entry ie minimal impact on Windows 10.

cereberus, Jun 1, 2017
  7. Kari Win User
    Kari, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Dual Boot on external SSD?

1. Dual Boot on external SSD? - Similar Threads - Dual Boot external

2. External SSD not detecting in the boot menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External SSD not detecting in the boot menu: External SSD not getting recognized in the boot menu by Windows 11 laptop I recently purchased a gaming laptop, Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15ACH6 for programming and running Linux.I had previously setup an internal SSD with a case with ubuntu and wanted to use it with this...
  3. External SSD not detecting in the boot menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External SSD not detecting in the boot menu: External SSD not getting recognized in the boot menu by Windows 11 laptop I recently purchased a gaming laptop, Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15ACH6 for programming and running Linux.I had previously setup an internal SSD with a case with ubuntu and wanted to use it with this...
  4. Fresh install to internal SSD and dual-boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fresh install to internal SSD and dual-boot: I have Windows 10 Home in a SSD. I have a new SSD with greater capacity. I intend to mount the new SSD in my system with the current SSD. I want to install Windows 10 onto the new SSD and then dual-boot the two systems. I think that is possible.If someone can guide me to...
  5. Fresh install to internal SSD and dual-boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fresh install to internal SSD and dual-boot: I have Windows 10 Home in a SSD. I have a new SSD with greater capacity. I intend to mount the new SSD in my system with the current SSD. I want to install Windows 10 onto the new SSD and then dual-boot the two systems. I think that is possible.If someone can guide me to...
  6. Fresh install to internal SSD and dual-boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Dual Booting on ASUS with Optane SSD

Dual Booting on ASUS with Optane SSD: I have just bought a new laptop - Asus with 1 TB Optane M.2 NVME SSD. I installed windows home from the oobe, and upgraded to PRO. I then partitioned hard drive into two partitions. I used dism to install W11 (created by uup) in a virtual hard drive and made a native boot...
  8. Installing/Booting from external SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing/Booting from external SSD: Dear All, sorry for this noob question, but I couldn’t find any good up to date sources and my last information is that it is problematic: Is it possible/easy to install and boot Windows10 from an external SSD connected to USB-C? If yes, are there any down-takes? And Good...
  9. dual boot on m.2 ssd

dual boot on m.2 ssd: i have a laptop hp 15-ay503tx with core i5 6th gen 8 gb ddr4 ram 1 TB hdd 5400rpm. currently i am using dual boot windows 7 ultimate and windows 10 both on same hdd on different partitions. i am going to install a 860 EVO 250GB SATA III M.2 SSD on this laptop and...
  10. dual boot on m.2 ssd

dual boot on m.2 ssd: i have a laptop hp 15-ay503tx with core i5 6th gen 8 gb ddr4 ram 1 TB hdd 5400rpm. currently i am using dual boot windows 7 ultimate and windows 10 both on same hdd on different partitions. i am going to install a 860 EVO 250GB SATA III M.2 SSD on this laptop and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dual boot external ssd

2. external ssd vhd ブート windows10

3. clone mac dual boot drive external ssd

4. dualbooting on an external ssd