Windows 10: dual boot on m.2 ssd

Discus and support dual boot on m.2 ssd in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; i have a laptop hp 15-ay503tx with core i5 6th gen 8 gb ddr4 ram 1 TB hdd 5400rpm. currently i am using dual boot windows 7 ultimate and windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MD ABIDALI, Jul 21, 2018.

1. dual boot on m.2 ssd

i have a laptop hp 15-ay503tx with

core i5 6th gen

8 gb ddr4 ram

1 TB hdd 5400rpm.

currently i am using dual boot windows 7 ultimate and windows 10 both on same hdd on different partitions.

i am going to install a

860 EVO 250GB SATA III M.2 SSD
    on this laptop and want to use this ssd as windows partition.

i want to install dual os both windows 7 and windows 10 on this ssd.

want to know is it possible? experts gives opinion and also microsoft.

thanks in advance.

:)

MD ABIDALI, Jul 21, 2018
  2. Lagged Win User

M.2 SSD not being able to boot from it, windows doesn't recognise.

Ok, this is what happened after all the comments and suggestions, @Dude: Thanx for the video, my mb had non e of those settings, it had the raid/option memory gene or achi. Can only choose one or the other. @Saltgrass, my settings did point out auto and enabled the pcie x4, gen 3. I did an bios flash as suggested, because my bios was not the latest version, after a reformat the m.2 was picked up, still cant install OS onto it as it states legacy not found, removed my dvd rom from the sata port to another, and the drive was found and installed. Only issue now is that it's still not my OS drive but it at least now works and is installed, but on the Intel rst drive the obtain memory gene option to enable is greyed out, and shows as disabled. However the program lists the M.2 and it is working 100%,. I installed overwhatch onto it, it performs perfectly. But will update the intel driver tonight and see if that makes any difference. Seems the bios flash enabled the settings listed by @Dude that was not present pre-flash.

So the m.2 drive works. I can game off it and install omnto it. Can not install windows on it, gene memmory is enabled, pcie x4 is on and on auto detect, Motherbaord lists all the drives connected, motherboard ahs been updated to latest bios. After flash new settings became available, m.2 is now on memmory gene enabled not achi, windows os is enabled and fast boost is enabled, intel rst is installed and lists all the ssds and the m.2, however the m.2 on memmory gene is dissabled and the option to enable is greyed out. Will update the driver as Essenbe suggested of the m.2 and see if anything changes. Thank you all for the help, I can now atleast use my m.2

Lagged, Jul 21, 2018
  3. ocir Win User
    m.2 ssd

Hi all can you clone a ssd to a m.2 ssd, making the m.2 ssd the boot drive?

4. PaulRujan Win User

dual boot on m.2 ssd

inaccessible M.2 SSD boot device

Dear Sumit,

many thanks for the tips. I used long ago to admin my Sun Workstation but never Windows. Your solution looked very promising, especially since I can access the SSD when I boot a similar Win 10 pro from a SATA disk on the same desktop. However, neither when
    booting with the SSD on the first place, nor when I am on the SATA system do I have the rights to perform the operations you suggest. In other words, when booting directly the system I cannot get to the system's cmd environment. The other cmd recovery option
    provides simply an external shell (I guess from memory) allowing me to do some simple operations but NOT accessing the dead system's data. Same, when I am admin on a parallel system running on the SATA disk.

From a security perspective this is reassuring and the whole situation looks like closing the car trunk on your car keys. Nevertheless, I can just start the programs I need (Visual Studio and co) also from the SSD, which is somewhat surprising, so for the
    time being I wait for a solution.

Since the only difference on the running and non-running variant is the type of storage (SATA disk vs M.2 SSD) I would bet that the error is related to the PCH driver (either Samsung, MS, or the MSI motherboard).

Many thanks again for your time,

With best regards,

Paul

PaulRujan, Jul 21, 2018
Thema:

dual boot on m.2 ssd

1. dual boot on m.2 ssd - Similar Threads - dual boot ssd

2. SATA SSD and M.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SATA SSD and M.2 SSD: i was with a ssd sata and now i have ssd m.2, i formatted and put windows 11 in m.2, but i did not remove the ssd sata, i can only boot windows with the ssd sata connected, if i remove it windows does not boot to m.2 obs: windows was installed on m.2 but the ssd sata was...
  3. ?M.2 or ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ?M.2 or ssd: My ? board has a M-2 slot, will that act the same as a ssd. I'm looking at a Kingmax M-2 2280 B /M SATAIII 256GB. This stuff is confusing to me some times sorry for the confusion while asking my ?s. I have so much new storage in my system now all I'm trying to do is get all...
  4. Upgrading to new NVMe M.2 SSD, dropping dual boot option

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading to new NVMe M.2 SSD, dropping dual boot option: Currently I have Windows 10 (up to date) and Windows 7 (up to date) both x64 Pro on a booting SSD. When I boot the PC, it shows me which one I would like to boot with. Once installed that way using Windows 10, so the boot option is a Windows 10 style menu, not the...
  5. M.2 SSD's

M.2 SSD's: Does anyone here run their OS on an M.2 SSD? And if so, do you notice any difference in speed than a regular SSD? 114991
  6. dual boot on m.2 ssd

dual boot on m.2 ssd: i have a laptop hp 15-ay503tx with core i5 6th gen 8 gb ddr4 ram 1 TB hdd 5400rpm. currently i am using dual boot windows 7 ultimate and windows 10 both on same hdd on different partitions. i am going to install a 860 EVO 250GB SATA III M.2 SSD on this laptop and...
  7. M.2 ssd's

M.2 ssd's: Hi all just to ask I have a asus z170ar I have a intell 520 ssd and just wanted to upgrade to a m.2 and was looking at a samsung nvme m.2 960 evo 500gig or a pro, my mob say it is a m.2 pcie m type. would it fit? 105095
  8. Boot up problem M.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Boot up problem M.2 SSD: Hello. I recently had an issue with my Windows 10 on my Samsung SSD, it basically just stopped working, and nothing that I did helped, not any repairs from the "Repair your computer" option from an installation media. So to cut the story short, I reinstalled Windows 10...
  9. m.2 ssd

in Windows 10 Support
    m.2 ssd: Hi all can you clone a ssd to a m.2 ssd, making the m.2 ssd the boot drive? 68728
  10. M.2 ssd

M.2 ssd: Hello, I need some help. I hope I choose the right forum section, newbie here. I purchased a MyDigitalSSD 128GB (MDM242-SBe-128) from Amazon.com, I want to prepare this drive for use in my Dell 3050 mini PC to increase the boot drive size from 32gb to 128gb. The Dell...