Windows 10: Dual Boot question #2

Discus and support Dual Boot question #2 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have a dual boot laptop (Legacy BIOS), with W 10 Pro x64 (clean installation from Media Creation Tool dvd) and W7 x64 The disk management... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Vaio 7, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Vaio 7 Win User

Dual Boot question #2

Hello,

I have a dual boot laptop (Legacy BIOS), with W 10 Pro x64 (clean installation from Media Creation Tool dvd) and W7 x64
    The disk management layout is the following: (from left to right):
    Basic MBR Hard Disk 0
    1) Recovery OEM Sony partition 15 GB primary (hidden partition)
    2) System Reserved 100 MB with 64.2 MB free, was 70 MB free before W 10 installation, primary
    3) W 7 primary (When I boot to W7 it's on C:\ )
    4) W 10 primary ((When I boot to W10 it's on C:\ )
    I have installed W10 on a previously manually formatted, via Diskpart, primary partition so after installation, normal, the W 10 Recovery 500 MB partition was not created.
    The dual boot system runs perfectly fine for almost a year now.
    However, although not needed, because I use a third party WinPE image backup cd, to make backups of my systems on external HDD's, I can still access the Windows Recovery Environment under Settings and perform a Reset or Refresh operation. I haven't tried all the other Troubleshooting Advanced Recovery options but the menu seems accessible since I used sometimes the "disable digital driver signature enforcement" feature.

Under W 10 when I open C:\Recovery this folder is empty.
    Now the questions are::
    1)
    where are the files of the Recovery partition located, are they relocated, after W 10 installation on C: or what? If not, where do W 10 find the necessary resources to perform those operations? (Reset/Refresh).
    As mentionned earlier, I only have the 100 MB W7 System Reserved partition, which had 70 MB's free before W 10 installation, now it has 64.2 MB's free so I assume that upon W 10 installation W 10 wrote 5-6 MB's of "something" to it.
    2) Is there any disadvantages of not having the 500 MB W10 Recovery partition?

I do not intend to use Bitlocker in the future but this option is also available under Control Panel. I assume that Bitlocker files should be on the Recovery partition, if it does not exist where are they?
    In my case what are the potential disadvantages of not having a W 10 Recovery partition on Basic MBR Hard Disk?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

:)

Vaio 7, Jul 18, 2016

2. What happens when I upgrade to window pro 10 and lose my media center.

Thank you for your answer and have one last dumb question. Would it be possible to dual boot windows 8.1 and windows 10? (Like dual booting linux and windows)

kennethwade123, Jul 18, 2016
  3. RDrr Win User
    Upgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 on a dual-boot computer that also has Windows 7 as the primary OS.

Babu V ...that link is for how to create a dual boot system.

The question was about doing an upgrade of one opsys on an already existing dual boot system.

4. NavyLCDR New Member

Dual Boot question #2

In a Command Prompt (Admin) - it's on the list if you right click the start icon, run:

reagentc /info

That will tell you if you have a WindowsRE (Recovery Environment) active and where the files are. They are probably in C:\Recovery, but they have the hidden and system attributes set. In order to see them you would need to have both hidden and protected system files set to visible.

The only disadvantage to not having the recovery partition is that you might have to boot from a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD to get some of the repair options that would normally be available from the recovery partition.

NavyLCDR, Jul 18, 2016
  5. Vaio 7 Win User
    Hello NavyLCDR,

Actually, I had already run the reagentc /info command and it looks similar to the first image here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html so no WinRE registered.
    Also, I had already checked with hidden and protected system files set to visible, and folder is still empty. What puzzles me a lot is that I can access the Advanced StartUp Options menu, I have already in the past opened Settings - Recovery and clicked on Reset this pc, just for testing purposes, then it restarted in Recovery Environment then, if I recall correctly, W 10 started to prepare some files and a few mins later I had a screen message mentionning something similar to "Everything is ready", instead of clicking "Next", in order to proceed, I clicked on "Cancel", but never got a message like "Could not find the Recovery Environment" or similar, thus my question, how on earth W 10 was able to prepare a "Reset" with C:\Recovery empty?? What do you think??
    Thanks for your reply.

Vaio 7, Jul 18, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    My guess is that your "recovery environment" is actually the winre.wim file in C:\Windows\System32\Recovery? If you selected to reset your PC, then it would re-install Windows from the C:\Windows\WinSxS folder.

NavyLCDR, Jul 18, 2016
  7. Vaio 7 Win User
    Aha! Interesting point.
    So re-installing Windows from C:\Windows\WinSxS folder would have the same results, in theory, as from C:\Recovery or not?
    I suspect that you are more a fan of system image backups, like me, but maybe you know more on the matter, C:\Windows\WinSxS etc... *Smile
    Right now I'm booting from W 7 but will see the contents of C:\Windows\System32\Recovery next time I'll boot to W 10, will also
    check hidden and protected system files set to visible and WHAT IF this folder is also empty?? LOL !

Cheers!

Vaio 7, Jul 18, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Dual Boot question #2

I don't have a C:\Recovery on this computer... if the only file in C:\Recovery was winre.wim - that is only the recovery menu and not the files required to re-install Windows 10. In order to re-install Windows 10 (reset PC), the source has to be an install.wim file or the folders and files in C:\Windows\WinSxS, either of which amount to 3+ GB.

NavyLCDR, Jul 18, 2016
  9. Vaio 7 Win User
    Hello,

I looked at C:\Windows\System32\Recovery and there are 2 files ReAgent.xml & ReAgent_Merged.xml.
    My C:\Windows\WinSxS folder has 15.000 + files, so difficult to check any folder individually and it's about 5.88 GB in size so maybe W 10 is pulling the Reset pc resources from there... I do not know.
    Thanks.

Vaio 7, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Dual Boot question #2

1. Dual Boot question #2 - Similar Threads - Dual Boot question

2. Another Dual Boot Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Another Dual Boot Question: Diehard w7 user here. My system is 3 year old homebuilt (an Asrock z370 extreme4 with a 500gb Adata sz8200 m2 SSD). The drive is about 65% full and some of my programs (specifically ACT) cant be re-activated so I need to keep the ssd intact. But, I'm forced into installing...
  3. Question about dual booting windows 10 on 2 different drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about dual booting windows 10 on 2 different drives: Say you already have windows (1) installed on drive 1. Later you install windows (2) on drive 2. Now windows boot manager will pop up to ask you which windows to load on each boot. What happens if drive 2 is disconnected. Will it automatically load windows 1 like windows 2...
  4. Windows 10 Dual boot question

Windows 10 Dual boot question: I have installed MANY dual boot configs of various OSes over the years. I have 7 installed, and decided to dual boot 10 on my main machine. Installed it on a spare SSD I had laying around. To my surprise, it boots right in to Windows 10. I can still go in to the bios and...
  5. Dual boot question

Dual boot question: I want to install Windows on an SSD with Linux already installed in it. However, whenever I do so, it stops with an error - Windows detected that the EFI system partition was formatted as NTFS. Format the EFI system partition as FAT32, and restart the installation. What to...
  6. 2 Windows 7 (dual boot) to 2 Windows 10 (dual boot): Is this possible?

2 Windows 7 (dual boot) to 2 Windows 10 (dual boot): Is this possible?: I have already checked that the process to upgrade my Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit laptop to the equivalent Win 10 runs smoothly keeping almost every application and all data perfect. The point is that I have a rather complex (for me) configuration in an HP system with two Win...
  7. Dual Boot Question

Dual Boot Question: I have a dual boot with two SSD's. Both hadW10 pro version 1607. I recently opgraded both to 1703 (creatorupdate). I adjusted the boot order with EasyBCD 2.3 Although again dual boot performs well,something has changed. Formerly, after booting, the boot sequence...
  8. Dual Boot Question

Dual Boot Question: I wanted to update and run a dual boot on 2 separate ssd's. The original ssd has 8.1, and I tried to do an install using an ISO file I made of 10 on the other ssd but could not get past the authentication code since it would not accept my code for windows 8.1. After several...
  9. dual boot question

dual boot question: Thank you for taking the time to read this. I currently have a dual boot setup with Windows 7 and Linux Mint. The upgrade to Win 10 is ready. Will the upgrade destroy my boot sector ? If it does, will I be able to re-install Linux after upgrading to Win 10 from Windows 7?...
  10. Dual Boot question

Dual Boot question: Hi, I have set a dual boot config, on a laptop with W 7 x64 preinstalled. Laptop has one disk drive, before dual boot, with 3 primary partitions, from left to right, in Computer Management: 1. Recovery OEM primary 15 GB 2. System Reserved 100 MB primary (70 MB free)...