Windows 10: Dual Boot question (7 and 10)

Discus and support Dual Boot question (7 and 10) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Windows 7, and want to try Windows 10. But I want to set up a dual boot, in case some of my old software doesn't work with Windows 10. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kyleknapp, Jan 3, 2016.

1. kyleknapp Win User

Dual Boot question (7 and 10)

I have Windows 7, and want to try Windows 10. But I want to set up a dual boot, in case some of my old software doesn't work with Windows 10. This forum has lots of good info on how to do this, but I'm still fuzzy on a couple details. Here's my question:

If I create a new partition, and install Windows 10 into it, do all my programs and data from my old C: drive get copied into the new partition? or does Windows 10 just reference them on (and run them from) the old drive?

If it's the latter, what do I do if Windows 10 works fine for all my needs, and I want to remove Windows 7 and reclaim the space? I can't just copy all the files from one partition to the other, can I? (And even if I can, will the OS be able to find them, since the drive letter where they're located will have changed?)

OR... I'm planning to upgrade my main HD to a Solid State drive. What if I first clone my old drive onto the new one, then upgrade the new one to Windows 10. Will I be able to run both drives and boot from either one? Then, once I determine I no longer need Win 7, I can just simply remove the old drive. Will this work?

Thanks!

:)

kyleknapp, Jan 3, 2016

2. Dual-boot Windows 7/10 or 8/10; does pestering stop?

I understand dual-boots and have built a few of them. That's not my question.

Suppose I build a dual-boot 7/10 or 8/10. Given the high degree of pestering Microsoft is doing to 7 and 8 users to get them to move to 10, will Microsoft continue to pester me when I use the 7/8 half of a dual-boot? Does Windows Update still offer the many
    move-to-10 upgrades or does that stop?

baroque-quest, Jan 3, 2016
  3. Dual boot installation?

I currently dual boot Win 7 and Win 8 on my Dell PC. I want to do the clean install of Win 10 on the Win 8 partition. My question is will it affect the Win 7 partition and will I be able to dual boot win 7 and Win 10?

Thanks,

Brian

Sportsdadmi39, Jan 3, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Each OS partition is independent. You cannot execute programs in one from other unless standalone installs (most are not).

You can copy data from other partition.

Two disks is ok, but if you want proper dual boot, it is slightly tricky removing old drive as that usually contains boot data for other drive. Can be done, but you need to rebuild boot sectors for new drive.

You can install 10 on new drive with old drive removed temporarily. Then you would need to use bios or msinfo to select which one to boot from - this is not a dual configuration - just two separate single boot options. Easier to remove old OS.

Re installing 10.

Either clean install 10 on new drive, or clone other drive and upgrade if you want to keep programs (I would do latter personally and only clean install if problems).

cereberus, Jan 3, 2016
  5. kyleknapp Win User
    Thanks, I DEFINITELY want to do an upgrade rather than a clean install if possible, so I'll probably try your last suggestion.

My biggest concern is that I'm running an older audio recording interface that is no longer supported by the manufacturer (no drivers available for any OS newer than Windows 7). Some other users have told me the Windows 7 drivers work with Windows 10, so I'm hopeful.

BUT... (tricky question here...)
    If it doesn't work, and I go back to Windows 7, but a year from now upgrade my hardware and decide to try again, will I be able to install the free copy of Windows 10 I just downloaded, or will it become uninstallable after the grace period, forcing me to buy an new OS?

kyleknapp, Jan 4, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    It depends on what hardware you upgrade, when you upgrade, and what type of license your original Windows was. If you replace the motherboard and your original license was OEM then you will have to purchase Windows for it regardless of when you upgrade. If you replace the motherboard after July then you will have to purchase Windows 10 for it if you want Windows 10 - or you can transfer your Windows 7 to it, if the license was a full retail license.

Unless the user has two separate licenses for Windows, this violates the EULA until the first operating system is erased. Having a clean install on one drive (or partition) and Windows 7 on the other on the same computer also violates the EULA - if the single license for Windows 7 is used to activate the Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Jan 4, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    I think this is debatable. Since you can only use 1 licence at a time, it is not really any different to creating system image backups and alternating which is permitted. You can also mount images as a drive to see files on other OS.

I accept dual boot may not strictly comply with EULA but it does uphold the key principle that you can only USE one licence at a time on same PC ie you cannot run them concurrent.

This is completely different from having 7 on one pc and 10 on another where you can run two instances of windows concurrently.

Does MS really care? Its prime goal is to get people to use 10 and if some people hedge their bets by dual booting, I am sure they would prefer that to people not going to 10 at all.

cereberus, Jan 4, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

The moderators of this forum consider dual booting Windows 7 and Windows 10 with only one license to be a violation of the EULA. So, if you want to incur an infraction....it's up to you.

NavyLCDR, Jan 4, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    Fair enough but I would dispute it is an infraction. If anybody asks, I will probably answer that whilst technically possible, it is potentially an EULA violation and just leave it at that.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual Boot question (7 and 10) - Similar Threads - Dual Boot question

2. Dual boot question 7-10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot question 7-10: Hello, I thought it might be a good idea to make a dual boot system,so I can gradually tweak my system to upgrade to W10. But... Can I "tweak"all installed programs so they work under w10 and under w7? 135753
  3. Dual-Boot 10 and 7,... 7 won't boot

Dual-Boot 10 and 7,... 7 won't boot: Below is a listing of my rig's internals. This was my umty-8th build 6years ago, with the Crucial M4 SSD and the Program drive and the Backup drive. The 1TB game drive was added about two years ago. Note: This rig has been nothing but fast and trouble free. Also, I build...
  4. Dual Boot Question

Dual Boot Question: I wanted to update and run a dual boot on 2 separate ssd's. The original ssd has 8.1, and I tried to do an install using an ISO file I made of 10 on the other ssd but could not get past the authentication code since it would not accept my code for windows 8.1. After several...
  5. dual boot question

dual boot question: Thank you for taking the time to read this. I currently have a dual boot setup with Windows 7 and Linux Mint. The upgrade to Win 10 is ready. Will the upgrade destroy my boot sector ? If it does, will I be able to re-install Linux after upgrading to Win 10 from Windows 7?...
  6. dual ( 7 / 10 ) boot question

dual ( 7 / 10 ) boot question: i'm building a new windows 10 desktop to replace current windows 7 desktop but since all my software is only guaranteed to run on 7 i plan to build the new desktop as a dual boot ( 10 + 7 ) first and then eventually ( in a year or two ) convert to 10 only. i haven't...
  7. Dual Boot question

Dual Boot question: Hi, I have set a dual boot config, on a laptop with W 7 x64 preinstalled. Laptop has one disk drive, before dual boot, with 3 primary partitions, from left to right, in Computer Management: 1. Recovery OEM primary 15 GB 2. System Reserved 100 MB primary (70 MB free)...
  8. Questions about dual boot with Windows 10 and Windows 7

Questions about dual boot with Windows 10 and Windows 7: Hello TenForums, first post from a forum lurker new to Windows 10. I've been using Windows 7 Home for years and found Sevenforums very helpful just like this forum. I have read this thread and other tutorials about this topic on other sites/blogs and still have a few question...
  9. Windows 7 and 10 dual Boot Scenario question

Windows 7 and 10 dual Boot Scenario question: Here is what I am trying to accomplish 1. upgrade my win 7 pro 64bit install to win 10 LTSB 2. reinstall my present win 7 install from image back up then change my key Reason for this is that I have lost a couple of install disks during a recent move. Need these 2 disks...
  10. Windows 10/7 dual boot question - key

Windows 10/7 dual boot question - key: hi guys I apologize if this is covered elsewhere, I could not find the exact answer to my question. Both my laptop and desktop have windows 7, different versions. Both have the upgrade ready for them. I want to dual boot win7 and 10 for a while, likely will fully...