Windows 10: dual boot question

Discus and support dual boot question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Thank you for taking the time to read this. I currently have a dual boot setup with Windows 7 and Linux Mint. The upgrade to Win 10 is ready. Will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Windowsfree, Sep 15, 2015.

1. dual boot question

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I currently have a dual boot setup with Windows 7 and Linux Mint. The upgrade to Win 10 is ready. Will the upgrade destroy my boot sector ? If it does, will I be able to re-install Linux after upgrading to Win 10 from Windows 7?

Thank you.

:)

Windowsfree, Sep 15, 2015

2. What happens when I upgrade to window pro 10 and lose my media center.

Thank you for your answer and have one last dumb question. Would it be possible to dual boot windows 8.1 and windows 10? (Like dual booting linux and windows)

kennethwade123, Sep 15, 2015
  3. RDrr Win User
    Upgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 on a dual-boot computer that also has Windows 7 as the primary OS.

Babu V ...that link is for how to create a dual boot system.

The question was about doing an upgrade of one opsys on an already existing dual boot system.

4. dual boot question

Presuming you have a machine using BIOS, not UEFI, then your drive probably uses MBR, not GPT, formatting. And in that case, when you upgrade Win 7 to Win10, the boot loader info currently used by Win7 will be updated by Win10.

You should not have to reinstall Linux Mint -- but to be safe, I recommend you look into using CloneZilla to image its partitions off to an external drive -- that's what I use for my Linux distros.

Also, since Win7 upgrades are really risky (I had the two machine I tried to upgrade BOTH fail, leaving one in an unusable state), I recommend considering doing an image backup of Win7 to an external drive using Macrium Reflect:

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.What I recommend is the following:
    1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
    2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive
    3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD
    NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive in only a few minutes.

Mark Phelps, Sep 15, 2015
  5. Thank you for the quick reply, my laptop does use BIOS. I used REDO for my images, so I already have them backed up. I have upgraded 3 laptops so far from Win 7 without issue. I hope that doesn't mean my odds are not good on this one as it is my personal laptop. Do you like Windows 10 ?

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    It also depends on what you are using as your boot loader. If you are using the Windows 7 boot loader, then Windows 10 should just update the Windows 7 entry to Window 10 and leave the Linux entry alone. If you are using a Linux boot loader, then the Windows 10 upgrade will likely install it's own boot loader and you will have to fix the boot loader either replacing it with Linux, or adding the entry for Linux back to it.

NavyLCDR, Sep 15, 2015
  7. Thanks for your input, that is what I am thinking also. I use GRUB for booting. I guess a fresh install won't hurt. I had a separate partition on the hard drive that was used by both OS's. It held the files I use or need daily. It was a 10 gig partition, i can probably actually shrink it to as i only used about 3gigs.

Thank you again.

8. NavyLCDR New Member
  9. CmmTch Win User
    IMO the 7 to 10 upgrades aren't risky, I had no problem at all when I upgraded my two Win7 machines (custom built desktop from 2010 retail 7 Home Prem, older 2008 Dell laptop OEM 7 Pro, both x64) both upgrades went fine. All files, folders, bookmarks, desktop settings, etc... followed from 7 to 10.

Wholeheartedly agree with doing image/backups, and a good idea to take one right before performing the upgrade. I have Windows do the backup/image every Sunday night to a backup HDD.

CmmTch, Sep 16, 2015
  10. Molyy Win User

Molyy, Sep 16, 2015
  11. I based my comments on reading the OEM forums where the vast MAJORITY of the complaints about corrupted machines from Win10 upgrades are for former Win7 machines. The Win8.1 machines, as evidenced by few comments, appear to fare much better -- which isn't surprising.

Mark Phelps, Sep 16, 2015
  12. I found these 2 articles provide information that I will try when time permits.
    HOW2GEEK

BYTELINUX

Windowsfree, Sep 21, 2015
  13. dual boot question

I upgraded my Toshiba laptop and my home built desktop to Windows 10. The Laptop went fine and I have no complaints with it. The desktop really needed a clean installation but I let the windows 10 try to upgrade it and it seemed ok until I tried to use my DVD drive and discovered that it had not been recognized by windows 10. Not listed in device manager or it Disk Manager. Tried all kinds of fixes and finally gave up. Grabbed a 1000 GB hard drive and first installed Windows 7 then installed Windows 10 and immediately I had a dual boot Win 7 and Win 10. Now I have Windows 10 working good enough I want to get rid of Windows 7. Does anybody know how I do that?

SuperAggie, Sep 22, 2015
  14. I've done 3 windows 7 x64 to Windows 10 RTM uprgades here this one is a dual boot windows 10 .10547/Windows 10 RTM configuration no significant isssues on any of them.

They are HP and Dell desktops and one HP Elite book all with new clean Win 7 x64 pro ISO DVD installs instead of the OEM recovery media before the in place upgrades.

No issues using the OEM product keys for Win 7pro ISO reactivations before the Win 10 in place upgrade .

On the desktops I put the video ,sound and wireess drivers from the vendors in and used the HP oem drivers on the Elite book .

OTOH this dual boot test build configuratin has been doing in place updates on the test build NTFS partition just fine for maybe 4 or 5 builds now .

blutos cousin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

dual boot question

1. dual boot question - Similar Threads - dual boot question

2. Another Dual Boot Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Another Dual Boot Question: Diehard w7 user here. My system is 3 year old homebuilt (an Asrock z370 extreme4 with a 500gb Adata sz8200 m2 SSD). The drive is about 65% full and some of my programs (specifically ACT) cant be re-activated so I need to keep the ssd intact. But, I'm forced into installing...
  3. Windows 10 Dual boot question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Dual boot question: I have installed MANY dual boot configs of various OSes over the years. I have 7 installed, and decided to dual boot 10 on my main machine. Installed it on a spare SSD I had laying around. To my surprise, it boots right in to Windows 10. I can still go in to the bios and...
  4. Dual boot question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot question: I want to install Windows on an SSD with Linux already installed in it. However, whenever I do so, it stops with an error - Windows detected that the EFI system partition was formatted as NTFS. Format the EFI system partition as FAT32, and restart the installation. What to...
  5. Dual Boot Question

Dual Boot Question: I have a dual boot with two SSD's. Both hadW10 pro version 1607. I recently opgraded both to 1703 (creatorupdate). I adjusted the boot order with EasyBCD 2.3 Although again dual boot performs well,something has changed. Formerly, after booting, the boot sequence...
  6. Dual Boot Question

Dual Boot Question: I wanted to update and run a dual boot on 2 separate ssd's. The original ssd has 8.1, and I tried to do an install using an ISO file I made of 10 on the other ssd but could not get past the authentication code since it would not accept my code for windows 8.1. After several...
  7. dual ( 7 / 10 ) boot question

dual ( 7 / 10 ) boot question: i'm building a new windows 10 desktop to replace current windows 7 desktop but since all my software is only guaranteed to run on 7 i plan to build the new desktop as a dual boot ( 10 + 7 ) first and then eventually ( in a year or two ) convert to 10 only. i haven't...
  8. Dual Boot question

Dual Boot question: Hi, I have set a dual boot config, on a laptop with W 7 x64 preinstalled. Laptop has one disk drive, before dual boot, with 3 primary partitions, from left to right, in Computer Management: 1. Recovery OEM primary 15 GB 2. System Reserved 100 MB primary (70 MB free)...
  9. Dual Boot question #2

Dual Boot question #2: Hello, I have a dual boot laptop (Legacy BIOS), with W 10 Pro x64 (clean installation from Media Creation Tool dvd) and W7 x64 The disk management layout is the following: (from left to right): Basic MBR Hard Disk 0 1) Recovery OEM Sony partition 15 GB primary (hidden...
  10. Dual Boot question (7 and 10)

Dual Boot question (7 and 10): I have Windows 7, and want to try Windows 10. But I want to set up a dual boot, in case some of my old software doesn't work with Windows 10. This forum has lots of good info on how to do this, but I'm still fuzzy on a couple details. Here's my question: If I create a new...