Windows 10: Dual boot revisited

Discus and support Dual boot revisited in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; HI In a previous post, with help from this forum, I successfully installed win10 64 bit (GPT partitioned drive) dual booting with win 10 32 bit on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by falkunmalti, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Dual boot revisited

HI

In a previous post, with help from this forum, I successfully installed win10 64 bit (GPT partitioned drive) dual booting with win 10 32 bit on a separate drive (MBR partitioned). I want to change this to have both OS's on the same GPT drive. I created an additional partition on the GPT drive, booted from an EFI mode USB stick and ran the win10 32 bit install. The install failed right after I selected to install the 32 bit, with an error message referring to winload.efi being missing. I then selected the 64 bit install and that ran successfully.

Why does the 32 bit install fail, while still being able to install the 64 bit windows? If I can I want to end up with 32 bit windows and 64 bit windows on the same GPT drive.

Thanks.

:)

falkunmalti, Dec 22, 2015
  2. lacrumb Win User

Always booting from the wrong drive

Drive K is not a boot drive.

If dual booting Windows located on the drive K: it will be changed to C:

You have to do the dual boot from the BIOS.

Check post from Andre da Costa on Dual booting.

lacrumb, Dec 22, 2015
  3. lacrumb Win User
    Boot Issues, Partitioning Errors, Backup, and Dual-Booting Windows 10

This was in fact a dual boot problem. All VM is dual boot.

lacrumb, Dec 22, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Dual boot revisited

Your PC ships with a 64-bit EFI implementation. Such an EFI can boot only 64-bit OSes in EFI mode. Thus, to boot a 32-bit version of Windows, you must boot it in legacy BIOS mode.

topgundcp, Dec 22, 2015
  5. I guess this means I have to put the 32 bit windows on a separate MBR partitioned drive. There would be no way to have both OSs on the same GPT drive. Is that correct?

falkunmalti, Dec 22, 2015
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Correct.

topgundcp, Dec 22, 2015
  7. Thanks Topgundcp. I am marking this as solved. You have been very helpful. I am going to convert everything to BIOS Legacy. That way, my two OSs can be on the same SSD drive.

falkunmalti, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Dual boot revisited

1. Dual boot revisited - Similar Threads - Dual boot revisited

2. AnyTech Revisited

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AnyTech Revisited: I read the long thread about Anytech 365 from last year, and wondered if there's any new developments. I believe I may have talked to them when I called up about a question I had with IOBit, but I did not sign up for their services. In spite of that, I just received an email...
  3. AnyTech Revisited

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AnyTech Revisited: I read the long thread about Anytech 365 from last year, and wondered if there's any new developments. I believe I may have talked to them when I called up about a question I had with IOBit, but I did not sign up for their services. In spite of that, I just received an email...
  4. AnyTech Revisited

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. dual boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    dual boot: how do i remove a dual boot to make it single boot system w/Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot/1f4d89b9-3e50-4e91-97b5-f8589935661c
  6. Dual Booting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Booting: I have Windows 10 set in msconfig as my default operating system. When I turn on the computer I get the black Boot Manager screen and if I want Windows 7 I have to use the up arrow and hit enter. my question is how do you get that blue screen with both operating systems in a...
  7. Dual Boot

Dual Boot: Can I dual boot, Windows 10 and Ubuntu. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot/302b7f69-68b0-4eb7-8a83-5b181a481eba
  8. Dual booting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual booting: I have set up a VHD and loaded it with ubuntu 18.04.1 LST. The problem is I can't make the VHD visible so I can't dual boot my laptop. If I go to This PC and look, all I see is C:. If I open C: then I can see the VHD but can't access it. What did I do wrong? How can I fix...
  9. Dual Boot

Dual Boot: This is a two part question, and please note I do not have Win10 myself. In fact I do not have direct access to the computer I am talking about although I do have the full technical details of it, including all drivers, etc. Firstly, If Win10 is already installed on a...
  10. Revisit Activation

Revisit Activation: I need some advice. I did the upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 Home the day it came out. Went like clockwork (thanks to the info in this forum). It activated after a few hours and was running fine. A week later I thought it was time to do a clean install. At the first...