Windows 10: Dual boot: Safe to delete 1 OS ?

Discus and support Dual boot: Safe to delete 1 OS ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello ! Currently, I have dual boot Win7 and Win10. And the only reason I have Win7 is because the drivers for a printer were not updated to Win10.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Marron, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Marron Win User

Dual boot: Safe to delete 1 OS ?

Hello !

Currently, I have dual boot Win7 and Win10. And the only reason I have Win7 is because the drivers for a printer were not updated to Win10. Now recently HP did just that, and I no longer need Win7.

The way I have it set up is that I have Win7 on one partition, Win10 on another (100GB each) and the rest is Storage. Is it safe to simply remove and format the partition that has Win7 on it ?

Thanks.

:)

Marron, Sep 11, 2015

2. problem with update to zune and update to windows phone

Hello,

One thing you could also attempt to do is boot into Safe mode and attempt to delete the folder (or another OS if you dual-boot).

For instructions on how to log into Safe Mode, please visit the following support article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Regards,

Patrick Sw, Sep 11, 2015
  3. oldman1234, Sep 11, 2015
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Go to MSCONFIG (Win key+r, type in msconfig)... will get something similar to this:
    Dual boot: Safe to delete 1 OS ? [​IMG]

Delete the OS you no longer want. Go to Disk Management,
    Dual boot: Safe to delete 1 OS ? [​IMG]
    and on the OS drive, right click the partition of the unwanted OS, and delete. Now unallocated , free space.

EDIT: BACKUP FIRST!! Just good practice.... And after the steps above... reboot...

f14tomcat, Sep 11, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    As long as it isn't the active partition with the boot files the computer is using to boot with.

NavyLCDR, Sep 11, 2015
  6. trbodden Win User
    Commander,
    If it were the active partition would booting to repair then to command line and doing the MBR BOOT REPAIR AND BOOT/FIX correct things?

trbodden, Apr 14, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Probably. Khi's recovery drive has EasyBCD and Macrium Reflect which both definitely could be used to restore the boot files.

NavyLCDR, Apr 14, 2016
  8. trbodden Win User

Not familiar with Khi but impressed with diskpart and it's many commands.

edit:Guess I meant bootrec

trbodden, Apr 14, 2016
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    f14tomcat, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual boot: Safe to delete 1 OS ? - Similar Threads - Dual boot Safe

2. Dual Booting with Different OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Booting with Different OS: Hi, I have got a workstation with preinstalled windows 11. I want to work on some softwares which run on Linux. Would it be possible for me to install Linux in the same workstation without loosing the windows 11 ? With dual booting is there a chance of loosing licensing an...
  3. Dual Booting with Different OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Booting with Different OS: Hi, I have got a workstation with preinstalled windows 11. I want to work on some softwares which run on Linux. Would it be possible for me to install Linux in the same workstation without loosing the windows 11 ? With dual booting is there a chance of loosing licensing an...
  4. Safe to delete an intermediate partition in Windows 10 for dual booting with Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Safe to delete an intermediate partition in Windows 10 for dual booting with Ubuntu: My laptop uses MBR partition scheme. Currently, there are 5 partitions on my disk, 3 of them are primary partitions. picture given below I am planning to install Ubuntu 20.04 on one of the partitions. Do I need a primary partition to install Ubuntu? In that case, I would...
  5. Dual-Boots OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual-Boots OS: Hello, I am a Gamer Who is Having a Very Old PC bought at 2012 I am Using Windows 10, My PC Has 2GB RAM, and 2.8GHz Intel Pentium Processor. Windows 10 uses huge amount of ram, especially Windows Security Uses it. Normally, The Windows 10 Uses Half Of My RAM 47~60%...
  6. Help trying to Delete an OS from dual boot system.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Help trying to Delete an OS from dual boot system.: Thanks for you help. Please read the entire post before helping, as the items show below are inter-related. My system had been dual booted from Win 7 since the first version of Win 10 came out. I've been having may boot problems since installing v1903 this is what I think...
  7. Dual boot Phoenix OS

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual boot Phoenix OS: Hi ! I have a HP 15 da0002tu notebook preinstalled Windows 10 . I need to dual boot windows and phoenix os. So I installed phoenix os to my harddrive from the exe installer. It installed successfully but when I turn on my laptop it keeps boot directly to windows 10 without...
  8. Dual booting OS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual booting OS: Hi, I would like to install dual booting windows 10, both OS in same hard disc. I would like to confirm that no issue to have partition C and D in both OS and no access from each other? Thanks, Ratna...
  9. Dual boot encryption at OS selection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Dual boot encryption at OS selection: I have two ssd's both with Windows 10. I have it set to boot to OS selection. I want to encrypt both ssd's separately so that when I choose one OS or the other that is when I have to enter the password. So far I have use bitlocker to encrypt one drive but it requires me to...
  10. Install older OS as dual boot?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install older OS as dual boot?: I read on the MS help website that you cannot install older versions of windows as dualboot, however I am having issues playing the same games that I played on win8.1. Microsoft promised that Win10 would improve games, but some of the games I'm playing were rendered...