Windows 10: Dual Boot Scenario - Would this work?

Discus and support Dual Boot Scenario - Would this work? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I’m running an upgraded Win10 (from Win7) and am pretty happy with it now – except for one device not working (Prolific USB to Serial adapter) which I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by geoffers, Oct 17, 2015.

1. geoffers Win User

Dual Boot Scenario - Would this work?

I’m running an upgraded Win10 (from Win7) and am pretty happy with it now – except for one device not working (Prolific USB to Serial adapter) which I only use occasionally.

So I was wondering if this would be feasible….create a dual boot scenario and roll one back to Win7. Would this process work?

1. My upgraded version of Win10 has all my existing applications etc. installed, with a disk image of that partition having been saved using Macrium Reflect. Let’s call this W10U

2. Now create a clean install of Win10 on a second partition – lets call it W10C

So now I would have a DualBoot option to start either in the W10U or W10C versions

Now for the bit I’m not sure would work…

3. Could I then overwrite the partition containing the clean W10C with the image of the W10U.
    Would the Windows10 DualBoot selection at startup know/care that the Window10 partition it was actually booting into had changed? Or would it happily boot into the Windows10 in that partition?

4. Then roll back this W10U to the original Windows7 version.

So I would now have the DualBoot option to start in either W10U or Win7, with all my existing programs available in both.

:)

geoffers, Oct 17, 2015
  2. harkawy Win User

Wireless Comfort Keyboard 5000 and Windows 10

Thank you, Rob.

What you didn't address is why Microsoft's Tech Support would provide me with the instructions to create the dual boot configuration if in fact doing so would be in violation of their EULA. Why didn't they tell me that in order to have the dual boot scenario
    I needed to have two licenses; one for each OS.

There have been many writings about dual boot computers, in magazines as well as on the Internet and NO WHERE (that I could find) has any of them mentioned dual boot requires dual licences.

harkawy, Oct 17, 2015
  3. What would happen in this scenario? -About data roaming

No, it relies on your WLID location and settings, not on your physical location.

It is more a legal issue (billing, etc) rather than technical.

Diego T. - WP7 Support, Oct 17, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

The biggest issue with Dual Boot with Windows 10, is that it can cause your Windows 7 partition to become corrupt at some point. What you really need to do is if this is a desktop, get a Serial card. If it is a laptop, get a better compatible USB Serial adapter with up to date drivers.

bro67, Oct 17, 2015
  5. CountMike New Member
    It's doable (with bro's caution) but a small problem with licensing. You can't legally run both W7 after upgrading it to W10 and W10. What you can do is to return to W7 and in another partition (another disk would be even better) run Insider version of W10.
    Insider version, right now it's 10565, is very stable and no problem to use as main OS.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual Boot Scenario - Would this work? - Similar Threads - Dual Boot Scenario

2. audio doesnt work in a few scenarios

in Windows 10 Customization
    audio doesnt work in a few scenarios: audio turns off whenever im playing a game and join a party or game mode that requires voice chat. audio also turns off whenever i open my sound control panel and click the "recording" tab. ive factory reset the pc, made sure all of the drivers are up to date, there doesnt...
  3. dual boot

dual boot: how do i remove a dual boot to make it single boot system w/Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot/1f4d89b9-3e50-4e91-97b5-f8589935661c
  4. Windows not working after dual boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows not working after dual boot: I have Dell Inspiron 5570, i5 8th gen, 2 TB Hard drive, 16GB intel optane and 8 GB RAM. I tried dual boot my PC with ubuntu 16.04, but I was not getting any drive details. So I used terminal in live ubuntu environment with following command: sudo dmraid -E -r /dev/sda After...
  5. Dual Booting

Dual Booting: I have Windows 10 set in msconfig as my default operating system. When I turn on the computer I get the black Boot Manager screen and if I want Windows 7 I have to use the up arrow and hit enter. my question is how do you get that blue screen with both operating systems in a...
  6. Dual booting

Dual booting: I have set up a VHD and loaded it with ubuntu 18.04.1 LST. The problem is I can't make the VHD visible so I can't dual boot my laptop. If I go to This PC and look, all I see is C:. If I open C: then I can see the VHD but can't access it. What did I do wrong? How can I fix...
  7. Beware of Fast Startup in multi-boot scenarios!

in Windows 10 Support
    Beware of Fast Startup in multi-boot scenarios!: This isn't really new advice, and it's in fact quite well known, but this should be a sticky in this forum: Do not, ever, have WinX's Fast Startup option enabled if through whatever means you anticipate booting your system into an OS other than the one you just hibernated...
  8. Windows 7 and 10 dual Boot Scenario question

Windows 7 and 10 dual Boot Scenario question: Here is what I am trying to accomplish 1. upgrade my win 7 pro 64bit install to win 10 LTSB 2. reinstall my present win 7 install from image back up then change my key Reason for this is that I have lost a couple of install disks during a recent move. Need these 2 disks...
  9. Where would I put GRUB for a dual boot?

Where would I put GRUB for a dual boot?: Yes, I know this question belongs in the kali linux forum. Here it is there: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...e-does-GRUB-go This forum is just way more helpful. //// I am trying to do a dual boot on windows 10 with a Gateway NE56R49U laptop. My partitions are in...
  10. Dual Boot

Dual Boot: This is a two part question, and please note I do not have Win10 myself. In fact I do not have direct access to the computer I am talking about although I do have the full technical details of it, including all drivers, etc. Firstly, If Win10 is already installed on a...