Windows 10: Dual boot setup with pre-installed Windows 10 and cloned Windows 7dows

Discus and support Dual boot setup with pre-installed Windows 10 and cloned Windows 7dows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a new laptop pre-installed with Windows 10 on a primary m.2 disk. It also has an HDD that I divided into partitions. Now I have an old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ajfudge, Jul 27, 2016.

1. ajfudge Win User

Dual boot setup with pre-installed Windows 10 and cloned Windows 7dows

I have a new laptop pre-installed with Windows 10 on a primary m.2 disk.
    It also has an HDD that I divided into partitions.

Now I have an old laptop that has Windows 7 that holds programs and files that I left behind. I want those programs accessible in a Windows 7 environment. Therefore, I cloned my Windows 7 to a spare partition on my laptop's HDD. Right now, I have Windows 10 on primary SSD and cloned Windows 7 on a partition of secondary HDD.

However, the problem is that, while the disk cloning process went successfully, it's not bootable. So my question is: how do I make the disk with Windows 7 bootable?

:)

ajfudge, Jul 27, 2016

2. I would like to keep Windows 7 and replace Windows 8.1 with Windows 10. Would it be possible to install 10 and keep the dual boot setup with 7?

* Original Title: Dual Boot

Hello,

My computer has Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 installed with a dual boot setup. They are both installed on the same drive(1 TB) with two equal partitions. I would like to keep Windows 7 and replace Windows 8.1 with Windows 10. Would it be possible to install
    10 and keep the dual boot setup with 7?

BrianMcKeigan, Jul 27, 2016
  3. How Can I Dual-Boot Windows 10 and my old Windows 7

You have several options:

Dual boot with Windows 10 installed first:

How
    to: Dual Boot Windows 7 or Windows 8 with Windows 10 Installed First

You can also setup a virtual machine and install Windows 7 there:

How
    to: install the latest Windows 10 Build in Oracle VirtualBox

How
    to setup a virtual machine using Hyper-V

References Windows 10, but the same instructions work for Windows 7 too.

If you want to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10, you will need to purchase an additional license for Windows 10. The free upgrade cannot be used for dual boot purposes or clean installs:

How to: setup a dual boot configuration with Windows 10
    and previous versions of Windows

Andre Da Costa, Jul 27, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. Did win7 have a system partition as well as drive as that will contain the boot files? It won't boot unless the partition is set active so you need the boot files on the win10 boot. The other problem is the drivers will all be wrong if it's come from another PC so it possibly any work anyway

Samuria, Jul 27, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    The first question is: was the Windows 7 that you cloned an OEM licensed Windows 7 (came with the computer) or was it a retail Windows 7 that you purchased a license for. If it was an OEM licensed Windows 7, then moving that to a new computer to dual boot with violates the End Users License Agreement and we can't offer any help to do that.

If the Windows 7 that you transferred is a full retail copy, then:
    In Windows 10, the Windows 7 partition should have been assigned a drive letter. Let's say it got G:\. Right click on the start icon in Windows 10. Select Command Prompt (Admin). In the Command Prompt (Admin) window enter:

BCDBOOT G:\Windows /d /addlast

The path in red will be to the drive letter and Windows folder of the Windows 7 partition. Also recommend turning off Windows 10 fast startup:
    Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Restart the computer.

NavyLCDR, Jul 27, 2016
  6. ajfudge Win User
    @NavyLCDR
    It was an OEM-licensed Windows 7 Home which was upgraded to Pro version (as I remember, no reinstallation occured). As I understand, the OEM-licensed Windows 7 Home was bound to the old laptop. But since it's upgraded, is it okay to "move" the OS away from its original machine?

UPDATE 1:
    I tried your suggestion but it resulted into this screen message:
    Reboot and select proper boot device.
    or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

UPDATE 2:
    I manage to reach the boot OS selection screen. Tried doing Normal Start but it then says "autocheck not found"
    Also tried to start in Safe Mode, but it only resulted in a very quick BSOD

ajfudge, Jul 27, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Then it depends on the type of Windows 7 Pro you purchased. If you purchased a reduced price upgrade from Home to Pro then the Pro license remains OEM. If you purchased a full retail version of Pro, and just installed it as an upgrade, then it is still a full Retail version of Pro.

I'll give you a little hint: run showkey plus. Either manually enter the product key or run the check backup feature of showkey on the Windows 7 partition. I'll bet you the Windows 7 Pro product key will show as a retail product key - then let your conscience be your guide:
    Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Jul 27, 2016
  8. Samuria Win User

What type of disk are you using ufei, got,mbr as that effects the boot. As explained aside from the licence issue all the driver's will be wrong so it may never work anyway and you didn't answer if 7 had a system partition which would contain boot files

Samuria, Jul 27, 2016
  9. ajfudge Win User
    @Samuria
    -I'm not sure I understand your question. How do I know the type of disk where Windows 7 was cloned to?

-My worry also is with regards to the drivers. But I would still like to try to boot Windows 7 in this new machine.

-If by "partition that contain boot files", do you mean the recovery partition? If that's what you mean, then no, the Recovery partition was already deleted. Just to clarify, back in my old laptop where Windows 7 originally came with, there was only one HDD that has two partitions: one for OS and one for DATA.

ajfudge, Jul 27, 2016
  10. Berton Win User
    One other small question: My HP Desktop with Win7 Home Premium [which I'm leaving that way] still has the WIndows Anytime Upgrade feature on the Start, All Programs menu, did you use that to go from Home Premium to Professional? If so that may have left it as OEM but as mentioned do check yours out.

Berton, Jul 27, 2016
  11. Samuria Win User
    Can you post a screenshot from disk manager so we can see? Win 7 can boot to c drive or it can have boot files on a small often 100 meg system partition the disk type can vary and should show in disk manager adding 7 to the boot process will vary depending on how the disk is setup. A simple way to use both Windows is to use free virtual box and run it as a virtual of that way you don't mess with partitions and boot files

Samuria, Jul 27, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    It does not matter if you copied the Windows 7 system partition (boot files) or not. You set up dual booting by adding Windows 7 to the boot menu that Windows 10 is booting from using the command I posted.

NavyLCDR, Jul 27, 2016
  13. ajfudge Win User

Already did that. I am able to choose Windows 7 when prompted to choose an OS.
    However, the problem now is I can't run Windows 7... it brings me to a black screen with the message "cannot boot windows 7. autocheck not found"

I tried Repair via Windows 7 disk installer, but it only detected my Windows 10, which it rightfully declined to repair.

ajfudge, Jul 28, 2016
  14. ajfudge Win User
    I tried syspreping the Windows 7 installation. It failed.
    Since it's very troublesome to dual boot a Windows 7 OS on a Windows 10 laptop, I calling it quits.

ajfudge, Aug 9, 2016
  15. topgundcp Win User
    FYI. Unlike Win8/10. It is easy just to create a backup image then restore to the new PC, you'd get a screen: getting your devices ready... then Windows will re-install all the drivers needed. Doing this with Windows 7 will result in BSOD. In addition, your new PC probably set up with UEFI partition scheme and AHCI enabled so you must re-install Windows 7 with SP1 in UEFI mode for it to work.

topgundcp, Aug 9, 2016
Thema:

1. Dual boot setup with pre-installed Windows 10 and cloned Windows 7dows - Similar Threads - Dual boot setup

2. How to uninstall Linux in Windows 10 Dual Boot setup

in Windows 10 News
    How to uninstall Linux in Windows 10 Dual Boot setup: [ATTACH]You may have installed Ubuntu or any other Linux distro on your PC alongside […] This article How to uninstall Linux in Windows 10 Dual Boot setup first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  3. Dual boot with cloning issue

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Dual boot with cloning issue: I want to take the working 120gig kingston with Win 7 and clone it to a completely new drive 240gig drive (NOTE : the drive already has a working copy of Win 10 on it that can be erased) : Looking to figure out how to i) FORMAT the 240gig drive for this procedure ii) what...
  4. Windows 10 install on dual boot 2 drive Windows-Ubuntu setup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 install on dual boot 2 drive Windows-Ubuntu setup: I really need some help getting my dual boot Ubuntu - Windows 10 setup working properly. The issue is a partially corrupted Windows install do to a recent aborted format operation. I originally partitioned and set up my dual boot over 2 years ago and didn't keep detailed...
  5. Windows installation for dual boot

Windows installation for dual boot: Hello to everyone, I have UEFI based laptop HP Envy 17J015SR. I wanted to install Windows 7 and Windows 10 to my laptop in order to use advantages of both systems. I have both operating systems license and i have created installation drives for both sustems separately by...
  6. Dual boot Ubuntu with pre-installed Windows

Dual boot Ubuntu with pre-installed Windows: Hi! I have a Dell Inspiron 3543 laptop, which came pre-installed with Windows 8.1. I upgraded it to Windows 10 back in 2015, and currently I'm using Version 1903 OS Build 18362.175. I wish to set up a dual boot with Ubuntu 18.04.2 on this laptop. Is it possible to do it...
  7. Dual Boot Setup for Windows 10

Dual Boot Setup for Windows 10: Hi, I have recently installed an SSD on the M.2 slot of my laptop. It came with a Mechanical 1Tb HDD. First, I installed the M.2 SSD on the motherboard and installed Windows 10 on it. A new clean setup. At this point of time my HDD was not connected. Next, I connected the...
  8. Windows 10/XP Dual Boot with pre-existing 10 install

Windows 10/XP Dual Boot with pre-existing 10 install: I've been working on capturing all of my old camcorder footage. Unfortunately, I need FireWire capability for that. Very few motherboards put out since the 1156 socket set have come with FireWire. I purchased an add-on card from Amazon and have it successfully setup in my...
  9. How to set up a dual boot of Windows 7 with pre-existing 10?

How to set up a dual boot of Windows 7 with pre-existing 10?: I am troubleshooting a problem with odd black screens when installing AMD video card drivers in Windows 10. ref. Black screen when installing AMD video drivers - Windows 10 Forums Anyway, I was thinking of quickly installing Windows 7 on a spare partition, so I can better...
  10. Anyone done a dual boot setup of Windows 8 and 10?

Anyone done a dual boot setup of Windows 8 and 10?: Hi I'm getting there, I've downloaded the .ISO file, I've made 2 images of my C:\ drive (using 2 different backup programs) and I've created a 100 GB partition on my second hard drive labeled Windows 10. Now I'm going to create the install DVD. I'm hoping that...