Windows 10: Dual Boot System - RTM Partition No Longer Available

Discus and support Dual Boot System - RTM Partition No Longer Available in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I created a dual boot system quite some time ago and all was well until . . . RTM partition was completely up-to-date. I had recently updated to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Wynona, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Wynona Win User

Dual Boot System - RTM Partition No Longer Available

I created a dual boot system quite some time ago and all was well until . . .

RTM partition was completely up-to-date. I had recently updated to Windows 10 Build 10251 on the Insider partition.

I turned the machine off on Sunday January 31, left town, and returned Saturday February 6. All was well with the dual boot when I turned the system off before leaving. When I turned the system on last night, it booted directly into the Insider Partition. There seems to be no option to boot into the RTM partition.

Help!

:)

Wynona, Feb 6, 2016

2. How do I restore dual boot capability after Windows 10 clean install removed it

My computer was dual-boot with Windows 7 boot partitions on two separate drives. After upgrading to Windows 10, the dual boot provision worked fine. However after a clean install of Windows 10, dual-boot capability is no longer available. The boot partition
    for the remaining Windows 7 syBistem is intact. Only the dual boot option is gone.

I tried the changing the default operating system under System Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery, but the only choice is Windows 10. Windows 7 isn't a option. I'm guessing that the clean Windows 10 install wiped out access to the dual-boot menu.

Thanks.

Bill

B_Phillips, Feb 6, 2016
  3. Dual boot Windows 10 and Windows 7 by cloning Windows 7 to new HDD

Old title: Dual boot Win 10 and Win 7

Have Win 10 on SSD C:\ and a failing HDD with Win 7 and some programs I don't want to lose. I have a new HDD to use to create a dual boot. Media for Win 7 is no longer available. How do I clone the failing disk into a bootable partition on the new HDD?

DavidSchott263, Feb 6, 2016
  4. Private Win User

Does the RTM partition still exist? If it does, IMO, it's only missing from boot manager.

Private, Feb 6, 2016
  5. Wynona Win User
    Yep, I checked and it's still there (D:\). And I know nothing about the boot manager. *Sad

Wynona, Feb 6, 2016
  6. Private Win User
    Press Win+R, type in -> msconfig <- Enter. Click on Boot tab, does the RTM is listed there? If it does, look at the Timeout box, the reading should be 30 seconds.

Private, Feb 6, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    msconfig method should fix the issue.

Just to add..................
    Control Panel > Power Options > left side, Require password on wakeup > Change settings that are currently unavailable >scroll down, UN-check "Turn on fast boot startup" > Save changes.

davidhk, Feb 6, 2016
  8. Wynona Win User

Thanks, Private; that worked!

Thanks, David. Private's solution worked. *Smile So, if I'm reading this correctly, fast boot could be the culprit? But, but, but, I like fast boot. *Smile

Wynona, Feb 6, 2016
  9. Wynona Win User
    My next question would be, "Has anyone else with a dual boot system had this problem or is this one mine alone? Should I send feedback?"

Wynona, Feb 6, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    No, you are not alone.
    I have seen a few threads related to that.
    Personally I had the same issue. I dual booted Win 10 and Linux and it rebooted to Linus automatically.
    msconfig is the solution.
    Also under msconfig > Boot > I would set the OS I use most Set as default.

davidhk, Feb 6, 2016
  11. Wynona Win User
    Thanks, David! Feedback imminent! *Smile

FWIW, for me, the most recent "installation" remains the default boot OS. Since RTM was the first installed, and I haven't clean installed it since the "November Release", each new build that's clean installed becomes the default; if I don't choose one or the other, the default boots.

Wynona, Feb 6, 2016
  12. davidhk Win User
    Yes, the "latest" install becomes the default.
    That is why I mentioned about choosing which one you want as default. You might not want Insider build as default.

davidhk, Feb 6, 2016
  13. Wynona Win User

Yeah, I do want the Insider build. *Smile Reason being that I use it as a "daily" OS for the most part. All files are on an external drive.

Wynona, Feb 6, 2016
  14. Private Win User
    At first I thought the otherwise. *Biggrin Glad it worked.

You're welcome.

Private, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual Boot System - RTM Partition No Longer Available - Similar Threads - Dual Boot System

2. Deleted linux partition in dual boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted linux partition in dual boot: I was dual booting windows and majaro but I deleted the majaro partition by mistake while increasing its size and now I cannot boot into windows. What can I do?...
  3. Deleted linux partition in dual boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted linux partition in dual boot: I was dual booting windows and majaro but I deleted the majaro partition by mistake while increasing its size and now I cannot boot into windows. What can I do?...
  4. how to fix dual boot partition?

in Windows 10 Support
    how to fix dual boot partition?: I have tried easyBCD to fix, bootrec rebuildbcd, nothing worked and I'm not sure whats going on. can't seem to find this issue on google as well. attached screenshot below: (before anyone says anything, windows 10 exhibits the same behavior and I am simply using this...
  5. Dual boot windows overwrote boot partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot windows overwrote boot partition: Hi so I have had a Windows 10 install on my PC for around 3 years and wanted to try the new Windows 10 insider builds and so I created a separate Windows 10 install on another drive in my PC so it doesn’t conflict with my main Windows 10 install however the new install has...
  6. Macrium and dual boot system.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium and dual boot system.: Have been using Macrium for some time without problems, to backup Windows. Now I would like to know if it will backup a dual boot system, specifically Windows 1909 and Ubuntu 20.04. Has anyone had issues doing this? Gort 160483
  7. Dual Boot Partitions Messed Up

Dual Boot Partitions Messed Up: I am trying to dual boot OSX and Windows 10 on my desktop computer. OSX is fully installed, and I have created Windows 10 install media on a flash drive. I am able to boot into the installer, but when I tell the installer to install in the unallocated space ~250gb, it...
  8. Dual-booting the same system image in two partitions of the same SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual-booting the same system image in two partitions of the same SSD: Hi all! My laptop currently has two partitions: the Primary one & one storing files. Due to work, I'd like to create a new partition & install exactly the same image as on my Primary drive, which I'll tweak over time. My Windows is OEM, as it was installed by the...
  9. Dual boot system

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual boot system: I am trying to set up a dual boot system with windows 7 and win10 each on different hard drives I am trying to help a freidn who has accounting software her computer is running windows7(OEM), intel,I5 3rd or 4th gen(3XXX), 8gb memory, and 500gb hard drive. the computer is...
  10. Dual booting and system imaging

Dual booting and system imaging: Hey. So i currently have Windows 10 pro on my wd blue nvme 256gb and i have 500gb ssd for storing my games. I will get a another 500gb ssd for other media like videos and photos. I would like to get into video editing and that leads me to "how to do this". I want to dual...