Windows 10: dual boot ubuntu how reclaim disk space

Discus and support dual boot ubuntu how reclaim disk space in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; hi I have win 10 home I put a dual boot on it and need to reclaim space on disk 84489 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by 10cc california, May 14, 2017.

1. dual boot ubuntu how reclaim disk space

hi I have win 10 home I put a dual boot on it and need to reclaim space on disk

:)

10cc california, May 14, 2017
  2. BobPlantz Win User

How do I delete the second recovery partition?

I have an old laptop that I partitioned to install Ubuntu for dual boot. I want to delete the Ubuntu partitions and reclaim that disk space for Windows. However, during upgrades over the years to Windows 8, 8.1, and 10, I have ended up with a second Recovery
    Partition at the end of C:, essentially between Windows and Ubuntu.

Disk Management will not allow me to delete this Recovery Partition, so I can't extend C: into the area where Ubuntu once lived. I do not have a Windows installation disk. The laptop, which originally had Vista, has its own (Vista) recover partition.

What is the best way for me to get rid of this Recovery Partition between C: and the old Ubuntu space so I can extend C:?

BTW, I want to do this so I can experiment with Windows Subsystem for Linux before I install it on my (production) desktop machine.

BobPlantz, May 14, 2017
  3. Windows 10 installed. Want to give Windows back the Ubuntu Partition, and get rid of Grub. 10 is a download, so no recovery disk

Thank you. This is Mark. I installed Windows 10 on two computers. One is a Lenovo Think Pad that I had set up as a dual boot box, Windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux. The linux installation automatically sets up the Grub boot loader, and bypasses and other start
    up routine.

Windows 10 doesn't show up in Grub, but if I click on the 64bit Windows 7 line, 10 boots just fine.

Ubuntu is taking up about 90 gig of my hard disk space that I want back. I don't know how to do that. If I just delete Ubuntu, I don't know how to give that space back to Windows. And if I lose Grub, I don't know how I would be able to boot period.

Does this clarify the issue? I want the space back, Ubuntu gone and Grub gone as well. I want to automatically boot up Windows 10 on Start Up.

Since 10 was a download, I don't have a recovery disk (the standard suggestion is a complete reinstall).

Thanks.

MarkCostelloPA, May 14, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

dual boot ubuntu how reclaim disk space

That is nice to know. More information would be useful.

cereberus, May 14, 2017
  5. bro67 Win User
    You would need to remove the Ext partition and turn that section back into where you can extend the current partition. All of this can be done with a Ubuntu or Linux Mint Live DVD and use GParted.

bro67, May 15, 2017
  6. dual boot 1000gb drive cut in half Ubuntu on one windows 10 on other I erased Ubuntu by mistake in disk options would like to fix the Ubuntu side back to pristine status

10cc california, May 18, 2017
  7. Rocky Win User
    I do not think that the OP wants to eliminate his Ubuntu partition.

Rocky, May 19, 2017
  8. dual boot ubuntu how reclaim disk space

See in disk management or in Minitool Partition Wizard and please post the screenshot.

MikeMecanic, May 19, 2017
  9. spunk Win User
    Boot off of your Ubuntu Live CD or USB and install to the erased partition.

spunk, May 19, 2017
  10. bro67 Win User
    Reading it again, they want the whole drive for Windows 10. That means following the information that I posted to allow the drive to be used by Windows, since it cannot understand Linux Partition tables.

bro67, May 24, 2017
  11. Rocky Win User
    From my reading the OP is very happy with the partition layout but he wants to re-install Ubuntu. Maybe the OP can come back and explain exactly what he wants.

On a side note, man the English language is funny. My reading and your reading are almost exactly opposite, but we both got out understanding from the same message.

The OP needs to provide more information about his system and his goals.

Rocky, May 24, 2017
  12. Rocky Win User
    This sounds to me like the OP is asking how to keep the partitions the same way that they are now and just fix Ubuntu without messing with Windows.

Rocky, May 24, 2017
  13. Superfly Win User

Ambiguity gone wild... but I too think he wants Ubuntu back. Probably has unallocated space where Ubuntu was.

Easiest would be selecting "Install along side Windows" from the Ubuntu installlation media - that will get it back but with Grub as bootloader.

Superfly, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. dual boot ubuntu how reclaim disk space - Similar Threads - dual boot ubuntu

2. Dual Boot Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Ubuntu: I am a software developer who has recently got some embedded systems work. The support community for the tools I will be using is built with the assumption of a Linux operating system. While for other types of work-loads, such as backend work, I have been happy with my...
  3. Dual boot Ubuntu

Dual boot Ubuntu: I tried 'Ubuntu' for a while. Later got the drive deleted. [ATTACH] But the Ubuntu Boot Manager is there in the BIOS ? How can I remove that? Dr Abdul Rasheed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot-ubuntu/8d273b76-c1f2-4f23-9ba6-28a4c96b9141
  4. Dual boot with Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot with Ubuntu: Hello, I wanted to dual boot with ubuntu on HDD while my windows is on SSD. Most tutorials I have seen usually show the option to select the OS they want to boot into when they start the computer. I was wondering if there is a way where I could always boot into windows...
  5. Dual boot with Ubuntu gone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot with Ubuntu gone: Suddenly my grub is gone and when I boot my device goes directly to the Windows 10. Can I remove Ubuntu through Windows without concerns or should I need to be careful because grub is still around and probably will brick my PC? Thanks! submitted by /u/Johan144 [link]...
  6. C Drive not reclaiming freed disk space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C Drive not reclaiming freed disk space: My C drive is showing less than 60GB space free out of 917GB, even though I just moved nearly 150GB worth of files to the cloud (OneDrive). So it should be showing over 200GB fee. How do I get the space back? Note: I have already run Disk Cleanup....
  7. reclaim space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    reclaim space: hi...I recently installed xubuntu on a old packard bell dot .s netbook, I had lots of problems so decided to remove it. I used minitool partition wizard to delete partition but wiped it instead,now minitool partition shows that partition as other,is this the same as...
  8. Remove Ubuntu dual-boot

Remove Ubuntu dual-boot: I currently have a Surface Pro 1 with Windows 10 that also has Ubuntu installed on it as well. I would like to remove Ubuntu and restore the default Windows boot manager. Right now, it's currently doing a Windows 10 reset (Remove all files from all drives and clean them),...
  9. Ubuntu Dual Boot

Ubuntu Dual Boot: I am using the non-metro Windows 10 boot loader to manage a dual boot setup (legacy BIOS) with Ubuntu. Generally, everything works fine. However, sometimes when I perform an update in Ubuntu, grub overwrites the Windows MBR. Then I have to use EasyBCD to restore the Windows...
  10. Remove dual boot - Ubuntu

Remove dual boot - Ubuntu: Hi, I am running Widows 10 on a UEFI/EFI/GPT system. I'd like to try and install a Linux OS on another partition. Installing is not a problem my question relates to if I decide to remove Ubuntu, how will I repair my Window's bootloader? I've been doing a lot of reading on...