Windows 10: Dual-boot Win 10 Pro and Win 8.1 Pro question

Discus and support Dual-boot Win 10 Pro and Win 8.1 Pro question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Dual-boot Win 10 Pro and Win 8.1 Pro question I plan to dual-boot Win 10 Pro and Win 8.1 Pro in a singular HDD. I have at the moment in an WD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by damien76, Sep 17, 2017.

1. damien76 Win User

Dual-boot Win 10 Pro and Win 8.1 Pro question

I plan to dual-boot Win 10 Pro and Win 8.1 Pro in a singular HDD.

I have at the moment in an WD 1 TB HDD 2 partitions with Win 10 Pro partition (partition 1 - version 1511 and partition 2 - version 1703 -still on testing). I have allocated a space for Win 8.1 Pro x64 on that same WD 1 TB HDD (WDC-08WN4A0)

I have an existing Win 8.1 Pro x64 partition in use now in a seperate WD 1 TB HDD (WDC-00WN4A0).
    Now I plan to use Acronis True Image 2016 to image that Win 8.1 Pro existing partition and recover that to that space I allocated in WD 1 TB HDD (WDC-08WN4A0) where the Win 10 partitions are.

Is that feasible?

I mean, I am planning to do that so I would not format a new partition there with Win 8.1 Pro x64 and install all my programs again there (time consuming). It's sort of transferring that Win 8.1 Pr partition to where the Win 10 Pro partitions are. I will use the previous WD 1 TB HDD (WDC-00WN4A0) for storage --I need the space.

Will the Win 8.1 partition recovered from the image of ATI 2016 boot?

Or I need to first format that allocated space with Win 8.1 Pro x 64 to get the boot files there and then use/recover the system image of the Win 8.1 Pro there...?

I would like to state also that in the Win 10 partitions (in WD 1 TB HDD ---WDC-08WN4A0) I have no System Reserved partition I have transfered it to the Win 10 Pro version 1511 partition via EasyBCD. The partition 2 which has version 1703 also does not have a System Reserved partition.

The boot files of that partition 2 - Win 10 Pro version 1703 is with partition 1 - Win 10 Pro version 1511, correct?
    There was this "EFI" folder after I transfered the boot files via EasyBCD to partition 1. (Note: I transfered the boot files when there was still no other system partition -- just a single Win 10 mPro version 1511 existing. I just later formatted the partition 2 with Win 10 Pro version 1703 using the sources folder 4 days later).

Dual-boot Win 10 Pro and Win 8.1 Pro question [​IMG]

Can you help me with this guys..?

Thank you!

:)

damien76, Sep 17, 2017

2. Win 10 Pro Free Activation with Dual Boot Win 7 Pro

I have Win 7 Pro installed

I have installed Win10 Pro from ISO to separate partition

Dual boot is working fine

If I use my Win 7 Pro Activation Key to activate Win 10 Pro I have the following questions:

Will Win10 Activate for free?

Wil Win 7 continue to be usable?

Douglas DTAE, Sep 17, 2017
  3. Dual Boot Elimination

Hi,

I have a dual boot setup at this time, Partition #1 WIN 7 PRO, Partition #2 WIN 10 PRO "Activated" this was my TP beta partition, it was upgraded by MS. Is this WIN 10 PRO the same OS that I am being offered on partition #1 to replace WIN 7 PRO?

Now that the TP has ended I would like to do a WIN 10 PRO clean install and remove one of the Partitions to eliminate the Dual boot system. Should I do the upgrade to WIN 7 PRO then delete Partition #2 with the already activated WIN 10 PRO or could this
    be a problem in the making ?

Thank You for the Help...Jim

James Horvath, Sep 17, 2017
  4. damien76 Win User

I formatted a new partition from the Win8.1 Pro activated it and recovered a system image I made from an existing Win 8.1 Pro. It's working fine now. I now have Win 10 Pro and Win 8.1 Pro in a single HDD.

damien76, Sep 20, 2017
  5. I'm too late to the party, but I was going to suggest virtualizing Windows 8.1.

DeaconFrost, Sep 20, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    Why 8.1 and 10 coexist very happily as dual boot, especially on UEFI pcs.

I actually prefer to install 8.1 in a virtual hard drive rather than a new partition when installing on same drive, as it is much more space efficient and does not create lots of partitions.

cereberus, Sep 20, 2017
  7. That's exactly why I'm not a fan of multi-booting. I can bork the VMs as much as I want without harming the host OS or it's ability to boot.

DeaconFrost, Sep 21, 2017
  8. damien76 Win User

Hello guys,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry also for the late update. I have now the multi-boot working fine here with me but I am interested in virtualizing Win 8.1 Pro but I dunno how?

damien76, Nov 24, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
  10. damien76 Win User
    @NavyLCDR,

Thanks I am now checking it out. "NavyLCDR" is that LT CMDR...? You a navy officer? Thanks again *Smile

damien76, Nov 24, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    I am an O-4 in the Navy, Lieutenant Commander. I am on terminal leave, official retirement date is 31 Dec.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual-boot Win 10 Pro and Win 8.1 Pro question - Similar Threads - Dual boot Pro

2. UEFI dual boot 2x WIN 10 Pro failing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UEFI dual boot 2x WIN 10 Pro failing: Dear all, I ll be the first to admit that I have created this mess, but now got so far stuck that I can't find a way out anymore. Any help is very welcome! What I did: 1. I started with 2 perfectly running win 10 pro installations on 2 different drives ("Work" drive and...
  3. UEFI dual boot 2x WIN 10 Pro failing

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI dual boot 2x WIN 10 Pro failing: Dear all, I ll be the first to admit that I have created this mess, but now got so far stuck that I can't find a way out anymore. Any help is very welcome! What I did: 1. I started with 2 perfectly running win 10 pro installations on 2 different drives ("Work" drive and...
  4. Win 7 Pro to Win 10 upgrade questions

Win 7 Pro to Win 10 upgrade questions: I bought a laptop 5 years ago that came with a Win 10 Pro license which at that time I wasn't ready to upgrade to, so I had the manufacturer downgrade the OS install to Win 7 Pro. I now want to upgrade this older, but still capable laptop to have as a second computer - I...
  5. Dual booting with Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro

Dual booting with Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro: I'll be receiving a new computer with Win 10 Pro as my computer w/ Windows 7 Pro crashed. I'd like to take the hard drive with Windows 7 Pro and install it into the new one to have dual booting. Any problem doing that and what steps are needed? Thank you....
  6. Win 10 Pro activation question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Pro activation question: Hi, I had a laptop that came with an OEM install of Windows 8.1 Home which I then upgraded to Win 10 Home via the free upgrade offered by Microsoft. Later I purchased an upgrade to Win 10 Pro from the Microsoftr online store and all this worked fine. But now my laptop has...
  7. Dual Boot Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro

Dual Boot Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro: Hi All, nice to be on board. I have a home built machine (specs entered when creating this account). I had a Dual boot system working like a dream, Win 10 Pro installed first (through upgrade a few months back) and then I created a separate partition and successfully...
  8. Dual Boot Win 7 pro and Win 10

Dual Boot Win 7 pro and Win 10: I have new computer win 7 pro with all SSD. I plan to Install Win 10 onto a separate SSD (Samsung 500gb) and will just unplug my C Drive SSD with Win 7. The C drive SSD is also 500gb Samsung but only 152gb left on that drive. Any Comments / potential problems I may have. I...
  9. Dual boot Win 9 preview and Win 8

Dual boot Win 9 preview and Win 8: A little early but this is what I am looking at. [img] I plan to just remove Win 7 (C) and install Win 9 Preview in its place as (C) At present Win 8 is on a Logical drive (W) but have thought about deleting Win 7 and converting Win 8 (W) to a primary partition and...
  10. dual boot win 10 ent with win 10 pro

dual boot win 10 ent with win 10 pro: I have the win 10 enterprise preview edition but want to end up with the pro version. Can these 2 be installed at the same time? 7262