Windows 10: dual boot win 7 and win 10?

Discus and support dual boot win 7 and win 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I currently have win10 on a partition. I have a second partition big enough for win7. Can I install win 7 on that partition. Will installing win7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sdowney717, Aug 25, 2015.

1. dual boot win 7 and win 10?

I currently have win10 on a partition. I have a second partition big enough for win7.
    Can I install win 7 on that partition.
    Will installing win7 result in a win7 style boot manager?
    If so, how to get the win 10 boot manager?

One reason I want to do this, win7 has WMC and win10 does not.

:)

sdowney717, Aug 25, 2015

2. Dual boot installation?

I currently dual boot Win 7 and Win 8 on my Dell PC. I want to do the clean install of Win 10 on the Win 8 partition. My question is will it affect the Win 7 partition and will I be able to dual boot win 7 and Win 10?

Thanks,

Brian

Sportsdadmi39, Aug 25, 2015
  3. Dual boot with win 10 upgrade using win 10 pro license?

I understand the the win 10 upgrade is an overwrite of the existing OS (which is win 7 sp2 for me). Can I buy the win 10 pro license as an upgrade to the win 10 upgrade? then download the upgrade and create a dual boot with the existing win 7? What is the
    procedure for dual boot?

thank you,

win 7 home sp2

i7

16gb

HotmailShawn, Aug 25, 2015
  4. mrpumpkin Win User

dual boot win 7 and win 10?

Yes you can dual boot both OS,' but your win 7 might not activate if it was the license used to upgrade to win 10. According to the last I heard, retail win 7 licenses would allow multiple installs of win 10, if used to upgrade, but I don't believe it would allow installing the upgraded win7 license in addition to win10. So i.e., Win 7 installs, but does not activate.

If that is not the case, then yes you can. After install, the system might default to the windows 7 boot manager, but you will still have the option to select Win 10. If you desire the win 10 boot screen, then follow these instructions to change the default OS within win 7.

The path is control panel/system and security/system/advanced system settings (left pane)/advanced (tab)/start up and recovery. Select windows 10 in the drop down menu.

mrpumpkin, Aug 25, 2015
  5. topgundcp Win User
    If that's the case. Open Admin Command Prompt and type: bcdboot %windir%
    will rebuild the BCD and gives you back the GUI.
    This procedure only changes the boot order and set Windows 10 to default OS and will not give you the GUI screen.

topgundcp, Aug 25, 2015
  6. right now this is a test, so activation I dont care.
    I have an older pentium 478 PC with an ide drive running WMC and it is giving me grief on the video. Since the board can do sata, I took the sata drive out of the win 10 pc, put it in the other PC and it is installing win 7 on the unused space. If it works, I can buy a sata drive and clone the existing win 7 install.
    I have tried all sorts of stuff to make it work correctly, and if this does not work, then I might take the win 10 PC and dual boot it to be able ti use WMC. I suppose another way would be to use a VM image. The win 10 PC is an Athlon II x64 3.6ghz which should work well with WMC, but how well would it work with win7 running as a VM?

This thread tells of my troubles with this, so after this, if it does not work, I guess I give up on that PC.
    View topic - Seemingly random ATSC smudging pixelation on HD channels

I dont want to totally hose the win10 partition, so I might be asking how to make it boot again when it goes back to it's original home, since I have not done this before.

sdowney717, Aug 25, 2015
  7. genet Win User
    Yes, Windows 7 will be activated, because it will be installed on the same computer where it was previously installed.

Yes.

dual boot win 7 and win 10? [​IMG]

genet, Aug 25, 2015
  8. genet Win User

Thanks, it works perfectly.

genet, Aug 25, 2015
  9. mrpumpkin Win User
    So, if someone has a retail win7 install, upgrades to win10 and it activates, they can then do a fresh install on another partition with the original win7 retail disc and it will also activate with the key?

I've seen claims of people upgrading then installing then a win7 image on a separate partition but not a fresh install.

mrpumpkin, Aug 26, 2015
  10. genet Win User
    Yes. I have tested this (UEFI firmware embedded Windows 8 core product key and retail Windows 8 Pro product key) and it works.

genet, Aug 26, 2015
  11. mrpumpkin Win User
    Thx

mrpumpkin, Aug 26, 2015
  12. Yes, I got the win 7 dual boot menu.
    Sadly, the PC just cant handle WMC even with a sata drive, it still messes up.
    So that one will become our MS word, office type work PC.
    And this other Athlon II, I will dual boot win 10 with win 7 just for WMC t make an upstairs HTPC.
    Kind of a waste of win10, but nice that fresh install of win7 will still activate. We got this PC as a freebie from the school where my wife works. The school gets a lot of donated PC's from Nasa etc..., and this one was too old - slow for them, but not to old for us.

sdowney717, Aug 26, 2015
  13. dishinit Win User

On Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 on a dual boot system......and because I was still at the Win 7 dual boot selection format.....
    I entered "bcdboot %windir%" at an elevated admin command prompt (within Win 10), and it showed boot files successfully created...
    However, when I rebooted (restarted), I still had the Win 7 boot selection, and the only thing "bcdboot %windir%" did, was change my local sign in to my MS sign in in Win 10....?
    I tried this twice, with the same result.....
    However, on another system this worked as described.....
    Any suggestions/clues....?
    No errors reported when doing "sfc /scannow" on this particular system.....
    Thanks for any input on this....

dishinit, Aug 27, 2015
  14. mrpumpkin Win User
    If I change the default boot OS to win 10 within windows 10, using the path I described in the second post, the w10 Gui is restored.

mrpumpkin, Aug 28, 2015
  15. dishinit Win User
    Yes this also worked on another system that I upgraded from Win 7 Pro.....64
    But on this particular system it does not.....
    I may do a upgrade to Win 10 again using a USB Boot-able I have prepared to see if that straightens this out....
    And thanks for your reply.....as this is a complete mystery to me, specific to this machine........

OK, so I did a USB upgrade to see if I could get the Win 10 Gui to work......No go......Still the Win 7 Text boot menu....
    Not completely sure, but II think I remember using easyBCD to edit my time to boot....and that's when I lost the Win 10 GUI.....
    Strange as I used easyBCD on another system which then put me in a Win 7 text boot, and on that system, I was able to get the Win 10 GUI back by using the this threads instructions....
    Not sure why I am complaining, as the system does not do a restart to boot into other OS (dual boot), where as in the Win 10 GUI boot, it does when I choose the other OS...Additionally, I have ready access to the F8 key (Safe Start) during the Win 7 text boot....
    As I am a bit OCD, I may just do a Clean Install on this one system to see what happens with that.....

dishinit, Aug 28, 2015
Thema:

1. dual boot win 7 and win 10? - Similar Threads - dual boot

2. Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition: Hello I need help. I have a HP laptop with 500 gb hard drive. So i created two partitions of that 500 gb hard drive with AOEMI partition assistant and both are GPT partitions. In the first partition C: i installed windows 11 and in the second one i installed Windows 10 which...
  3. Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition: Hello I need help. I have a HP laptop with 500 gb hard drive. So i created two partitions of that 500 gb hard drive with AOEMI partition assistant and both are GPT partitions. In the first partition C: i installed windows 11 and in the second one i installed Windows 10 which...
  4. Dual boot option not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot option not showing: Have Windows 7 and installed now istalled windows 10 on seperate drive but DUAL BOOT Option not showing help pleaseBoth drives show in BIOS and if changed in BIOS can boot to each OS But...I need option on start up of selecting the OS.Asus Mobo windows 7 on 500gb SSD and...
  5. Dual boot option not showing

Dual boot option not showing: Have Windows 7 and installed now istalled windows 10 on seperate drive but DUAL BOOT Option not showing help pleaseBoth drives show in BIOS and if changed in BIOS can boot to each OS But...I need option on start up of selecting the OS.Asus Mobo windows 7 on 500gb SSD and...
  6. Dual boot option not showing

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. How to install Windows 10 pro for dual boot without it automatically use the same license...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install Windows 10 pro for dual boot without it automatically use the same license...: Hey everyone, recently I tried to install Windows 10 Pro for dual boot, and it automatically use the same activation key from my Windows 11 Pro. Thankfully I managed to get rid the Windows 10 Pro in fear of Microsoft blocking my activation key. Is there any way to use Windows...
  8. How to install Windows 10 pro for dual boot without it automatically use the same license...

How to install Windows 10 pro for dual boot without it automatically use the same license...: Hey everyone, recently I tried to install Windows 10 Pro for dual boot, and it automatically use the same activation key from my Windows 11 Pro. Thankfully I managed to get rid the Windows 10 Pro in fear of Microsoft blocking my activation key. Is there any way to use Windows...
  9. Unable to install Windows 11 on dual-boot system with openSUSE Tumbleweed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to install Windows 11 on dual-boot system with openSUSE Tumbleweed: I'm trying to install Windows 11 alongside my existing openSUSE Tumbleweed installation on a Lenovo laptop. However, I'm encountering issues during the Windows 11 installation process.When I reach the "Where do you want to install Windows?" step during the Windows 11...
  10. Unable to install Windows 11 on dual-boot system with openSUSE Tumbleweed

Unable to install Windows 11 on dual-boot system with openSUSE Tumbleweed: I'm trying to install Windows 11 alongside my existing openSUSE Tumbleweed installation on a Lenovo laptop. However, I'm encountering issues during the Windows 11 installation process.When I reach the "Where do you want to install Windows?" step during the Windows 11...