Windows 10: Dual Boot Win 7 and Win10

Discus and support Dual Boot Win 7 and Win10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Apologies if this is 'old hat'. I'm having trouble with win 10 (getting wifi working) and have a thread specifically on that subject already open. I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by quarkrad, Jan 29, 2016.

1. quarkrad Win User

Dual Boot Win 7 and Win10

Apologies if this is 'old hat'. I'm having trouble with win 10 (getting wifi working) and have a thread specifically on that subject already open. I'm in the position of installing win10 on my son's laptop and soon have to give it to him - but he lives 80 miles away. Win10 does not work in terms of wifi on this laptop but wifi does with win 7 so how can I resolve this win10 issue when I do no have the laptop? I can remotely access the laptop so is there an option of giving him back the laptop in a dual booting mode using win7 and win10? The win10 install licence is derived from the win7 key so what would the situation be if both OSs were install of the same machine - would it work?

:)

quarkrad, Jan 29, 2016

2. Can we install Win 7 along wide Win 10 without uninstalling Win10

I've bought a laptop with Win10 (x64) pre-installed. Now due to some software compatibility, I need to install Win7.

Is it possible to install Win 7 along side Win 10 without uninstalling Win10? Dual-booting Win 10 and Win 7.

comparsian, Jan 29, 2016
  3. I would like to install that windows 7 for a dual boot with Win10 on an empty drive

Original Title: Dual boot, Win10 with Win 7

I have installed windows 10 some months ago, i have my older copy of original windows 7 on DVD, i would like to install that windows 7 for a dual boot with Win10 on an empty drive. Is this possible and how to start with it?

I had read that you can not install older versions when you have newer versions of Windows during a dual boot.

AmeyaPatkar, Jan 29, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

In my opinion based on my limited understanding................... your Win 10 will NOT get activated on the dual boot setup.
    It is because your Win 7 is on the computer and its product key is considered " in use".
    You cannot use the same key to activated another OS installation even it is installed in the same computer.

That said, I remember distinctly during the Windows Technical Preview era, I had a Win 7 Home Premium laptop which I setup a partition and installed the Preview into it. And it got activated automatically.

So, heck, I can be wrong completely.

davidhk, Jan 29, 2016
Thema:

1. Dual Boot Win 7 and Win10 - Similar Threads - Dual Boot Win10

2. Repair Win 7 on Win 10/ Win 7 dual boot system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Repair Win 7 on Win 10/ Win 7 dual boot system: My RAM failed resulting in corruption of Win 7 installation. Now I cannot boot to Win 7 at all. I can create another partition to install Win 7, copy and create a new partition for the MBR now allocated 3.65GB to restore after reloading Win 7, or try something else. I'm not...
  3. Dual boot Win10 and Win 7. Win 10 Hijacks win 7, and won't play nice.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot Win10 and Win 7. Win 10 Hijacks win 7, and won't play nice.: Hi and good morning. I am a noob with Win 10, and am doing what I can to figure it out. So here's the skinny. Win 7 is the default on Drive C. Win 10 is on Drive D. When I boot into win10, it automatically renames the D drive to C and makes itself the default. So after a few...
  4. Dual boot Win10 and Win 7. Win 10 Hijacks win 7, and won't play nice.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Dual boot Win10 and Win 7. Win 10 Hijacks win 7, and won't play nice.: Hi and good morning. I am a noob with Win 10, and am doing what I can to figure it out. So here's the skinny. Win 7 is the default on Drive C. Win 10 is on Drive D. When I boot into win10, it automatically renames the D drive to C and makes itself the default. So after a few...
  5. Dual Boot Win 10 & 7

Dual Boot Win 10 & 7: I run Win 10 (1803) on my main PC I was also running Win 10 (1803) on a secondary PC. I had a 3rd PC running Win 7 (for certain older apps I need) The PC running 7 started to have major hardware problems, so I had to junk it, but kept the HDD with 7 and my programs. I...
  6. Dual boot for Win 10, Win 7 and Centos.

Dual boot for Win 10, Win 7 and Centos.: I would like to install 3 operative system (win 10 - win 7 and centos ) on the same HD in dual boot system. I would like to keep as much as possible the OS separate (no interference) each other and more stable possible. What will be the best way to do it? I should use an...
  7. dual boot win 10/ win 7

dual boot win 10/ win 7: Hi, I have been tried to install win 7 64 bits on dual boot with win 10 64 bits already installed on my laptop but always failed. I've searched tutorials but didn't find complete ones .Most of the tutos are about installing win 10 over wind 7 on dual boot but not the...
  8. Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot

Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot: After reading many posts & reply's, I now think/understand that I cannot Dual Boot win 7 and win 10 using free Win 10, if I want to do that I must buy Win 10. Reason is the MS will not allow free Win 10 if I am still using Win 7. 1st I must update my win 7 with win 10...
  9. Dual Boot Win 7 pro and Win 10

Dual Boot Win 7 pro and Win 10: I have new computer win 7 pro with all SSD. I plan to Install Win 10 onto a separate SSD (Samsung 500gb) and will just unplug my C Drive SSD with Win 7. The C drive SSD is also 500gb Samsung but only 152gb left on that drive. Any Comments / potential problems I may have. I...
  10. dual boot win 7 and win 10?

dual boot win 7 and win 10?: I currently have win10 on a partition. I have a second partition big enough for win7. Can I install win 7 on that partition. Will installing win7 result in a win7 style boot manager? If so, how to get the win 10 boot manager? One reason I want to do this, win7 has WMC...