Windows 10: Dual boot Win7 and Win10 on seperate HDD's

Discus and support Dual boot Win7 and Win10 on seperate HDD's in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, I am sure that this has been asked a thousand times but I am new here so please bear with me. Th problem I have is that I loaded Win 10 on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Chris Pear, May 13, 2017.

1. Dual boot Win7 and Win10 on seperate HDD's

Hi all,
    I am sure that this has been asked a thousand times but I am new here so please bear with me.
    Th problem I have is that I loaded Win 10 on a separate HDD went to dual boot. The computer stared then it carried out a scan disk and happily deleted all the files needed to boot to win 10. I used the method of disconnecting my Win7 while installing Win10 onto the separate HDD however when I reconnected my Win7 disk and booted the computer carried out a scan disk as I said. Can someone help me please as I would like to load Win10 and then run it for a while and get used to it before moving completely over to it.
    Regards
    Chris

• Dual boot Win7 and Win10 on seperate HDD's [​IMG]

:)

Chris Pear, May 13, 2017

2. Windows 7 not working in Windows 10 dual boot system and blue screen appears

Original Title: windows 7 and 10 dual booting

I recently tried to dual boot win7 and win10 to test out win10, i formatted and changed 1 hdd from mbr to gpt, i shrank a partition for win10 (50gb) and installed it without any hiccups, i booted up win10 no problems and the 1st couple of times switching
    to win7 was fine too, but after those 2 times when trying to boot win7my mouse and keyboard became unresponsive, i couldnt login or shutdown or restart without pressing it on my case. I tried disabling the xHCI in the bios, which worked for that 1 time booting
    win7. After that, the only way i could boot win7 and logon was if i disconnected my hdd with win10 on it. So i decided to cut my losses but without being able to logon win7 i used the win10 installation from the boot menu to reformat the hdd with win10 on
    it, now i get the blue screen with error code 0xc0000225 on it, the same as having my hdd with win10 on it disconnected. How can i get rid of this? Basically going back to how things were before the win10 install. I didnt backup any of my drives since they
    were all pretty much full, but the hdd that had win10 on it is completely empty and seperate from win7.

blackflash2099, May 13, 2017
  3. Why does my dvd writer not show up in Win10

I have a dual boot system running Win7 and Win10. I upgraded from win7 to win10, then installed win 7 on seperate drive. I have a LG Super-Multi GH24NS90 internal SATA DVD Rewriter, which works in win7 but is not visible in
    win 10. It is on the compatibility list as being compatible to win10 but does not show up in my device manager or windows explorer. It will not read any discs in win10. Any ideas?

SofaKingDeadly, May 13, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Dual boot Win7 and Win10 on seperate HDD's

Welcome to the forum. For duel boot you have to install the old o/s first as it wont undersatnd the new boot files from newer o/s. The simplest way is to use free virtual box Oracle VM VirtualBox and run it as a virtual pc as it doesnt effect paritions or boot files

Samuria, May 13, 2017
  5. Yea I did that by having win7 on one HDD and win10 on another however I couldn't dual boot as win7 wouldn't let me.
    I would like to dual boot so I can use both win10 and win7 and use them with the programs I have loaded.

Chris Pear, May 13, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    When you are booted into whatever Windows will boot, the other Windows install should have a drive letter. Let's say it gets drive letter F: for example. Open a Command Prompt Admin (or "run as administrator" command prompt). Then run:

bcdboot F:\Windows /d /addlast

Change the path in red to the second Windows installation you want to add to the boot menu. Then restart the computer.

NavyLCDR, May 13, 2017
  7. Unfortunately when I loaded both HDD's and rebooted the computer the computer ran Scan Disk and deleted all the win10 Files from the HDD that it was loaded on, leaving me with only win7 disc bootable.

Chris Pear, May 13, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Then I guess you will have to reinstall Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, May 13, 2017
  9. AddRAM Win User
    Strange, I have 7 and 10 installed on 2 drives, installed while all other drives were unplugged, and I have no issues at all.

It ran a check disk (1 time), which is normal, not a scan disk, and it`s been running fine ever since.

W10 is set as my default OS and I use the boot menu to choose 7 when I want to use it.

As stated earlier, when installing 2 different operating systems on 2 separate drives, you do not have to install them in any special order, that only should be done when both drives are hooked up. And there are ways to easily fix that if the older OS is installed last.

There may be a Fast boot option in the Bios that you may have to disable, but I tried mine disabled and then enabled and neither choice had any affect on the outcome, so I have it enabled.

AddRAM, May 13, 2017
  10. AddRAM Win User
    If you can`t come up with a fix then you could do what I did when W10 first came out.

I kept the W7 ssd totally unplugged, then totally switched the cables when I wanted to use 7, for me it was only a matter of taking the side of the C70.

The entire process took less then 10 seconds.

But when I installed W10 on the Samsung M.2 that idea went out the window, as the M.2 is always plugged in. I suppose it could be disabled in the Bios, but I`m not having any issues.

AddRAM, May 13, 2017
  11. SIW2 Win User
    Use the newest bootmgr, in this case replace bootmgr on your 7 hdd with a copy of bootmgr from your win10 hdd.

Thema:

1. Dual boot Win7 and Win10 on seperate HDD's - Similar Threads - Dual boot Win7

2. win10/win7 dual boot (hardware option)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win10/win7 dual boot (hardware option): On my desktop I am using ICY DOCK SSD cage for my OS: MB322SP-B_ExpressCage_2.5" HDD/SSD CAGES_ICY DOCK manufacturer Removable enclosure, Screwless hard drive enclosure, SAS SATA Mobile Rack, DVR Surveillance Recording, Video Audio Editing, SATA portable hard drive enclosure...
  3. Dual boot Win10 Win7

Dual boot Win10 Win7: Hi, Some time ago I bought a new laptop with Win10 pre-installed on it and have been trying to make my old programs work with this OS. I've found solutions for most of them but for a couple (a database and some old games) it doesn't seem possible to make them run on Win10....
  4. Dual boot Win7 & Win10 on same HDD - How to eliminate Win7?

Dual boot Win7 & Win10 on same HDD - How to eliminate Win7?: I had a single hard drive with Windows 7 on it and then created another partition and loaded Windows 10 on that resulting in a dual boot setup.I want to eliminate the dual boot setup and delete the partition with windows 7 on it leaving a single partition with only Windows...
  5. Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade

Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade: Just wondering if this can be done or would I be opening a can of worms. I recently did the Win7 to Win10 upgrade. All is fine. The Win7 was OEM and I have the 4 OEM disks that came with the PC. Is it possible now to reinstall Win7 on a new partition on my C drive, using...
  6. Win10+Win7 dual boot issue

Win10+Win7 dual boot issue: Dear all, I hope I have not missed a thread with a similar problem: I had Win10 installed on drive C: with the boot loader on drive D: (where I previously had my old Win10 installation). I wanted to add Win7 to my PC and formated drive D: - I totally forgot that I had the...
  7. Dual Boot Win7/Win10

Dual Boot Win7/Win10: Reloaded factory software on Dell XPS laptop Win7. Created additional partition for Win10. Installed Win10 iso from boot to the separate partition. Previously labeled C drive as Win7 and D drive as Win10. Default boot is Win7. Works fine. On the boot screen I choose Win10....
  8. Dual Boot on Win7 after issues with win10

Dual Boot on Win7 after issues with win10: hi, I am new on this forum, but not new with windows or OS setup. I was running win 7 (64bit) pleasantly but decided to install Win10, did all the needed stuff for getting dual boot setup. Win10 booted fine, when selected from dual boot menu, but I have many issues on...
  9. Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?

Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?: Hi, I have a dual boot set up - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an SSD drive and Windows 8.1 on a second hard drive. I would like to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and keep the Windows 7 OS in tact. Is this possible? Can I just go through the upgrade process from...
  10. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10: I used the ISO (64bit) burnt to DVD, changed boot order to install and installed to a new 250GB HDD, setup was about 15 mins and the dual boot works great, Windows 10 installed fine and Windows 7 has not been affected and runs as normal *Biggrin 2010

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win7 and win10 on two hdd