Windows 10: Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Discus and support Dual Boot Win7 & Win10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I used the ISO (64bit) burnt to DVD, changed boot order to install and installed to a new 250GB HDD, setup was about 15 mins and the dual boot works... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Stephanie, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Stephanie Win User

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

I used the ISO (64bit) burnt to DVD, changed boot order to install and installed to a new 250GB HDD, setup was about 15 mins and the dual boot works great, Windows 10 installed fine and Windows 7 has not been affected and runs as normal *Biggrin

:)

Stephanie, Oct 1, 2014
  2. linmaxyc Win User

ual boot system upgrade to windows 10

Thanks Jessen for the hint. I was expecting a yes or no answer, since I already have a dual boot system(xp+win7), and if I upgrade win10 from win7 boot, would win7 be replaced by win10 and becomes a (xp+win10) dual boot system?

But it looks more complicated than I thought, should I check current system has xp and win7 are installed in DIFFERENT partitions, otherwise xp would be gone after win7 is upgraded to win10 if xp and win7 are in SAME partition?

linmaxyc, Oct 1, 2014
  3. win10 home auto powers on by it's self

So this did fix the booting into win10 first issue, i can now boot into win10 or win7 from the BCD boot menu and the win10 boot menu doesn't interfere or cause a dual boot to get back into win7.

JohnBelbeck, Oct 1, 2014
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Great to here Steph!!
    Jeff *Smile

BunnyJ, Oct 1, 2014
  5. Stephanie Win User
    Thanks Jeff, Im impressed with Win 10 .. up to now *Biggrin

Stephanie, Oct 1, 2014
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    I agree.. It's just nice and it just works!
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Oct 1, 2014
  7. Pendaws Win User
    I just got mine today and will be setting it up tomorrow but on a NEW Drive. *Smile

Pendaws, Oct 1, 2014
  8. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

I am going to do what you have done Stephanie. I have installed it 4 times so far. 3 times on Virtual machines. One 32,64 and a 64 bit Enterprise with Windows to Go. The first install I upgraded Windows 7 Ultimate and it went without a hitch on a real, older PC. I have a spare 149gb partition on this machine and with so few issues I am confident this will work as a main OS just fine. I can honestly remember M$ releasing buggy software than this in the past as retail.

Indianatone, Oct 1, 2014
  9. What VM do most of you use, I'd have to install to a VM on this Notebook as I can't make another partition. Plus I'd like to give Macrium a try, is the free version Macrium Reflect ?

Joan Archer, Oct 1, 2014
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    I got Win10 to work just fine in VmWare. There is a free version for non commercial use.

BunnyJ, Oct 1, 2014
  11. Thanks Jeff, this would be something I'd be doing over the weekend so just need to gather everything I need beforehand. *Smile

Joan Archer, Oct 1, 2014
  12. Boozad Win User
    Joan the link below will take you to the VMWare downloads page, VMWare Player is the very bottom product.

Link.

This one is for MalwareBytes.

Link.

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10 [​IMG]
    Note Make sure you uncheck the 'Enable Free Trial' box when installing MalwareBytes.

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10 [​IMG]

Boozad, Oct 1, 2014
  13. odatkid Win User

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Same here but I used USB Drive to install and am dual booting with no problems. I partitioned my SSD Drive and allowed 40GB for Win 10. No problems so far...doesn't look all that different from "8". I installed "Classic Shell" and it works the same.*Cool

odatkid, Oct 2, 2014
  14. Indianatone, Oct 2, 2014
  15. Arelem Win User
    I'd like to ask a recommendation on dual booting Win7/Win10. I'm asking because I haven't done a dual boot set up since the WinXP previews.

I have Win7 Ultimate currently installed. Should I do as Stephanie and commit a whole drive to a Win10 install, or is it possible to install it as just another directory on the primary drive (Crucial M500 480Gb SSD)? I believe there is enough room on the primary drive to carve out a second partition to put the Win10 on.

I know, bit of a noobish question for a guy that's been doing support for 20 years. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10 :)

Arelem, Oct 2, 2014
Thema:

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

1. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10 - Similar Threads - Dual Boot Win7

2. win10/win7 dual boot (hardware option)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win10/win7 dual boot (hardware option): On my desktop I am using ICY DOCK SSD cage for my OS: MB322SP-B_ExpressCage_2.5" HDD/SSD CAGES_ICY DOCK manufacturer Removable enclosure, Screwless hard drive enclosure, SAS SATA Mobile Rack, DVR Surveillance Recording, Video Audio Editing, SATA portable hard drive enclosure...
  3. Dual boot Win10 Win7

Dual boot Win10 Win7: Hi, Some time ago I bought a new laptop with Win10 pre-installed on it and have been trying to make my old programs work with this OS. I've found solutions for most of them but for a couple (a database and some old games) it doesn't seem possible to make them run on Win10....
  4. Will update Win7>Win10 deactivate second Win7 drive in a Dual boot?

in Windows 10 Support
    Will update Win7>Win10 deactivate second Win7 drive in a Dual boot?: Here's the situation. I have a 17" laptop with two Win 7 drives set up with dual boot. One is a 128gb SSD with all my work software. (AutoCad, Rhino, etc) The other is a new 256 SSD with only the Win7 OS installed. Both use the same laptop Product key. I would like to...
  5. Dual boot Win7 and Win10 on seperate HDD's

Dual boot Win7 and Win10 on seperate HDD's: Hi all, I am sure that this has been asked a thousand times but I am new here so please bear with me. Th problem I have is that I loaded Win 10 on a separate HDD went to dual boot. The computer stared then it carried out a scan disk and happily deleted all the files needed...
  6. Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade

Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade: Just wondering if this can be done or would I be opening a can of worms. I recently did the Win7 to Win10 upgrade. All is fine. The Win7 was OEM and I have the 4 OEM disks that came with the PC. Is it possible now to reinstall Win7 on a new partition on my C drive, using...
  7. Win10+Win7 dual boot issue

Win10+Win7 dual boot issue: Dear all, I hope I have not missed a thread with a similar problem: I had Win10 installed on drive C: with the boot loader on drive D: (where I previously had my old Win10 installation). I wanted to add Win7 to my PC and formated drive D: - I totally forgot that I had the...
  8. Dual Boot Win7/Win10

Dual Boot Win7/Win10: Reloaded factory software on Dell XPS laptop Win7. Created additional partition for Win10. Installed Win10 iso from boot to the separate partition. Previously labeled C drive as Win7 and D drive as Win10. Default boot is Win7. Works fine. On the boot screen I choose Win10....
  9. Dual Boot on Win7 after issues with win10

Dual Boot on Win7 after issues with win10: hi, I am new on this forum, but not new with windows or OS setup. I was running win 7 (64bit) pleasantly but decided to install Win10, did all the needed stuff for getting dual boot setup. Win10 booted fine, when selected from dual boot menu, but I have many issues on...
  10. Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?

Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?: Hi, I have a dual boot set up - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an SSD drive and Windows 8.1 on a second hard drive. I would like to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and keep the Windows 7 OS in tact. Is this possible? Can I just go through the upgrade process from...