Windows 10: Dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint on 2 separate drives

Discus and support Dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint on 2 separate drives in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi guys Some questions please, i have recently installed Linux Mint 18.2 on my Windows 10 PC. Windows 10 is installed on my 500GB SSD. Linux Mint... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by m3mpower, Sep 2, 2017.

1. m3mpower Win User

Dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint on 2 separate drives

Hi guys

Some questions please, i have recently installed Linux Mint 18.2 on my Windows 10 PC.
    Windows 10 is installed on my 500GB SSD.
    Linux Mint has been installed on a separate 120GB SSD, connected to a sata port.
    Its all working great, and i can dual boot, choosing at start up from the grub menu, i have it set as Windows boot manager priority with 10 seconds, so if i don't select Linux Mint before the 10 seconds it boots straight to Windows.

The question i have, is, on my Linux Mint, i have 3 partitions, 2 of them EXT4, and 1 is Swap.
    Although the install was done on the 120GB SSD, i have a Ubuntu folder under EFI, in the 99mb Windows 10 system partition.
    Is this normal?
    I wanted Linux to be completely independant from Windows 10.
    In this situation, i think if i remove the Windows 10 drive, Linux will not boot.

Thanks in advance

Dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint on 2 separate drives [​IMG]

:)

m3mpower, Sep 2, 2017
  2. Andre Da Costa, Sep 2, 2017
  3. Dual Boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint

How can I dual boot windows 10 with Linux Mint when I have a MBR hard drive with 4 partitions already in place?

Computers2016, Sep 2, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

My guess is that Linux did put it's boot files on the Windows SSD. Restart your computer and there should be a key to press to bring up the UEFI boot menu, probably F11 but it varies between computers. Then select the Linux SSD to boot from and see if it goes.

Or, just unplug the power or data cable from the Windows SSD and see if the computer will boot form the Linux SSD with only it connected. If the Linux SSD does not have a FAT32 partition on it, then I don't think it will boot by itself.

NavyLCDR, Sep 2, 2017
  5. m3mpower Win User
    thanks.
    no it will not boot, since the bootloader is in the EFI system partition of my Windows drive.
    unfortunately, it does not work for me otherwise, i have tried to install linux on the separate ssd while windows drive was disconnected, and it didnt work.
    so far, it seems linux installs the bootloader on the available EFI partition even though i pointed the bootloader destination to be the linux drive.

m3mpower, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint on 2 separate drives - Similar Threads - Dual boot Linux

2. Windows 11 not rebooting after uninstalling Linux mint in dual boot mode. Removed the Linux...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 not rebooting after uninstalling Linux mint in dual boot mode. Removed the Linux...: Windows 11 not rebooting after uninstalling Linux mint. Removed Linux partition before uninstalling Grub. Screen showing GNU GRUB version 2.06. Don't know what to do....
  3. Windows 11 not rebooting after uninstalling Linux mint in dual boot mode. Removed the Linux...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 not rebooting after uninstalling Linux mint in dual boot mode. Removed the Linux...: Windows 11 not rebooting after uninstalling Linux mint. Removed Linux partition before uninstalling Grub. Screen showing GNU GRUB version 2.06. Don't know what to do....
  4. Linux Mint

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Linux Mint: Can you please tell me how to disable write protection on a Drive using Linux Mint USB Bootable...basically messed my computer up and then used linux mint usb bootable to boot. now i wish to format my drive but cannot because it is write protected.....i can see and access...
  5. Linux Mint

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Linux Mint: Can you please tell me how to disable write protection on a Drive using Linux Mint USB Bootable...basically messed my computer up and then used linux mint usb bootable to boot. now i wish to format my drive but cannot because it is write protected.....i can see and access...
  6. Revising dual boot to add Linux Mint

Revising dual boot to add Linux Mint: System: 2 internal SATA hard drives Windows 10 Home 1909 on HD0 / Windows 7 on HD1 BIOS/MBR boot (boot order CD, HD0, USB, HD1) OS installs on dedicated partitions bootloader on HD0 (Win10) I want to install Linux Mint to HD1 to replace Windows 7. Basic steps AFAIK: create...
  7. Dual boot Windows10 and Linux Mint

Dual boot Windows10 and Linux Mint: I am kinda stuck here.I installed windows10on an old dell desktop.Also decided to dualboot with Linux Mint so I could play around.Anyway,my grandson would like the computer so I deleted the linux partition.Now when I boot up or restart is shows GNU GRUB 2.4 and then a...
  8. Windows 10 unable to hibernate after dual booting linux mint.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 unable to hibernate after dual booting linux mint.: I have just installed linux mint alongside windows 10. Afterwards when i try to hibernate windows 10 it just brings me back to the logon screen. How am i able to hibernate windows 10 again?...
  9. Dual boot windows 10 and 7 on separate drives

Dual boot windows 10 and 7 on separate drives: Hello and thanks for having me on the forum. Not too tech savvy and have a question. Windows 7 user on PC DELL 8700 XPS. I added another drive and and installed W10. All working well. I would like to set up dual boot. I can do it now by hitting F12 and choosing my OS....
  10. change dual boot order windows 10 and linux mint

in Windows 10 Customization
    change dual boot order windows 10 and linux mint: how do i make windows 10 default https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-dual-boot-order-windows-10-and-linux-mint/e68b3b6e-18b8-4fd9-9407-9d2bd94c3f37

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Fsckoooo

2. windows dual boot windows 10 can they be on seperae druives

3. windows and linux 2 seperate hard drives

4. bual boot linux and windows10 seperate hdd,
  5. dual boot windows and ubuntu tutorial seperate hard drive,
  6. dual boot linux windows on seperate drives,
  7. installing linux mint and windows 1o on seperate hard drives,
  8. dual boot linux windows 10 on separate drives,
  9. dual boot linux with separate drives,
  10. duel boot windows and ubuntu on seperate drives,
  11. normal allocation of partition in dual booting between windows 10 and linuxmint,
  12. dual booting windows 10 and linux two drives,
  13. tripple boot win 10 win 10 and linux on three separate hard drives with uefi bios,
  14. dual boot windows 10 and 10 linux on three difernt hard drives,
  15. how to dual boot linux mint with windows on seperate drives