Windows 10: Dual Boot Windows 10 & Fedora 22 using the windows bootloader

Discus and support Dual Boot Windows 10 & Fedora 22 using the windows bootloader in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey, I just got my new MSI GE62 2QD that came installed with windows 10. Now I'm new-ish to computer systems but I used to have a dual boot of Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JosephH, Sep 21, 2015.

1. JosephH Win User

Dual Boot Windows 10 & Fedora 22 using the windows bootloader

Hey, I just got my new MSI GE62 2QD that came installed with windows 10. Now I'm new-ish to computer systems but I used to have a dual boot of Windows 7 & Ubuntu using basic bios. Now I am lost with the new UEFI.

Here's my question: With my new pc using UEFI, how would I go about dual booting Windows 10 & Fedora 22 Without using grub. I wish to keep the default Windows boot loader.

:)

JosephH, Sep 21, 2015

2. Grub 2 does not detect windows partition by osprober

Dear Don Cuthbert,

Thanks for your help.Since I was used to first dos partition to boot either windows or linux in dual boot on bios systems I thought UEFI just records the address to point to windows or linux sector for booting. Thought Microsoft system bootloader partiton contains
    all files for booting and rest of files in windows 10 basic partition. As linux hanged on upgrade from Fedora 26 to Fedora 27 I wanted to delete UEFI which I thought is a UEFI linux loader as I am used to efibootmgr in Fedora and wondering why the osprobe
    is not recognising windows.My basic thinking for GPT UEFI was wrong as I thought it just records the pointer to windows or linux.

But now you made the concept clear. Now I am sure I will be able to dual boot windows 10 and Fedora 27 with this help.

Really appreciate your help.

Dr Nagalkar

Dr. S. D.Nagalkar, Sep 21, 2015
  3. 7mgte Win User
    msinfo32.exe shows Secure Boot Type as Unsupported -- Restore UEFI Boot?

Short story: I have been trying to set up my Asus Z97 as a dual boot machine with Windows 10 and Fedora 22. Windows 10 had been installed on the machine on a 256GB SSD. I added a second 256GB SSD and installed Fedora 22 on it. When I started this adventure,
    the UEFI BIOS showed the Windows 10 drive as "UEFI OS". Now it does not. Windows 10 seems to boot fine when the Windows drive is the only drive in the machine or if I select it as the boot drive in the BIOS. However, msinfo32.exe shows Secure Boot Type
    as Unsupported.

I tried using the recovery USB drive I created before starting my dual booting adventure, but to no avail. Based on some posts I found related to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, this is not uncommon. Those posts had various discussions about using bcdedit.exe
    and other commands to restore the MBR. However, it was unclear if this restore UEFI (secure) booting.

bcdedit returns the following:

C:\Windows\System32>bcdedit

The boot configuration data store could not be opened.

Access is denied.

So, any suggestions on how to restore UEFI booting and get Secure Boot Type to show as enabled?

Thanks!

7mgte, Sep 21, 2015
  4. Dual Boot Windows 10 & Fedora 22 using the windows bootloader

Windowsfree, Sep 21, 2015
Thema:

Dual Boot Windows 10 & Fedora 22 using the windows bootloader

1. Dual Boot Windows 10 & Fedora 22 using the windows bootloader - Similar Threads - Dual Boot Fedora

2. Dual boot Windows/Fedora 39. Missing EFI/Microsoft/boot directory to boot Windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot Windows/Fedora 39. Missing EFI/Microsoft/boot directory to boot Windows.: Hello ! This morning, I switched from Fedora 32 to Fedora 39. I have a dual boot Fedora / Windows. But since I installed Fedora 39, I can't choose to boot Fedora or Windows, it always launch Fedora 39. I tried to press F9 when the computer is starting, but I can't see any...
  3. Dual boot Windows/Fedora 39. Missing EFI/Microsoft/boot directory to boot Windows.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual boot Windows/Fedora 39. Missing EFI/Microsoft/boot directory to boot Windows.: Hello ! This morning, I switched from Fedora 32 to Fedora 39. I have a dual boot Fedora / Windows. But since I installed Fedora 39, I can't choose to boot Fedora or Windows, it always launch Fedora 39. I tried to press F9 when the computer is starting, but I can't see any...
  4. Dual boot Windows/Fedora 39. Missing EFI/Microsoft/boot directory to boot Windows.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How can i dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Fedora?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Fedora?: Hi! i recently wanted to install Linux Fedora in my pc and i want to dual boot it with my windows 10, how can i do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-dual-boot-windows-10-and-linux-fedora/8c21ec6b-17ff-4f4c-a4dd-432ecccb6c4c
  6. How can i dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Fedora?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can i dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Fedora?: Hi! i recently wanted to install Linux Fedora in my pc and i want to dual boot it with my windows 10, how can i do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-dual-boot-windows-10-and-linux-fedora/8c21ec6b-17ff-4f4c-a4dd-432ecccb6c4c
  7. How can i dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Fedora?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Dual boot Windows/Fedora problem

Dual boot Windows/Fedora problem: Hello, My computer was in dual boot Windows 10/Fedora and I wanted to replace Fedora with Ubuntu (by live USB). I made bad manipulations for this change which led to a Fedora that no longer worked. When I wanted to reinstall it, I put the root in the wrong place and nothing...
  9. Missing Operating System - Windows 10 and Fedora 28 Dual Boot

Missing Operating System - Windows 10 and Fedora 28 Dual Boot: I tried dual booting Fedora and Windows 10. While installation I think I messed something up and maybe formatted my boot partition which I was sure I did not but maybe I did accidentally. So because of that, whenever I start my computer I get the "Missing Operating...
  10. Dual Boot: Win10 and Fedora 22

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual Boot: Win10 and Fedora 22: I am trying to do a dual boot. I have Win10 installed and the ISO file for Fedora22 on a DVD, but I can't seem to get into the Bios so that the DVD can run the setup file. I've already partitioned my hard drive and have reserved a separate petition for the Fedora22...