Windows 10: Dual boot windows 10 - usb boot fails, no custom install option

Discus and support Dual boot windows 10 - usb boot fails, no custom install option in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My current windows 10 installation is too bogged down to play games properly. I've tried all the traditional solutions to speed up my PC but none of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tomryan222, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Dual boot windows 10 - usb boot fails, no custom install option

My current windows 10 installation is too bogged down to play games properly. I've tried all the traditional solutions to speed up my PC but none of them made any noticeable difference, so I'd like to try a fresh OS. I'd prefer to avoid doing a "Reset My PC" option and having to re-install all my apps. So I'm trying to install a second windows 10 onto a new partition that will just be used for playing a couple games.

The media creation tool USB option doesn't work on my pc. The USB gets ignored when I boot normally. If I try to boot it directly from the boot menu, I get a "selected device failed to boot" error (with both windows 10 and windows 8 media creation tools). I used a brand new USB drive and tried it immediately after installing the tool onto it. I also tried re-installing the tool a second time.

I tried running the setup.exe at the root of the USB drive, which started properly. However, all the guides I've looked at say that I should get a "custom install" option when running this tool. This is where I would have the option of selecting the partition I want to install windows to. I don't get that option. It just asks me for the basic language/architecture fields, then gives me the "keep everything/keep files/remove everything" options. There are no options after that. If i I click install, the installation begins.

I tried using the windows 8 setup.exe on the USB, but it asks me for a product key. My computer came with windows 8, but I don't have the product key anymore.

Is there any way to get a fresh windows installation without having to overwrite my current OS?

:)

tomryan222, Oct 16, 2016

2. Dual boot SSD, Windows 10, kali linux 3

Hi Tech Gurus,

I am wanting to dual boot kali linux with windows 10, however, I partition it in windows 10, I allocate 60 GB for kali linux, secure boot is off, boot from usb is on. I created a live kali image on a 64 gb usb c pen drive, I booted that and tried installing
    it in my ssd and kali linux doesn't seem to recognise the partition.

Then I used the same pen drive to install kali in the same live usb. I am missing something or my procedure is wrong, kali linux doesn't seem to install it in the pendrive. It says kernel is unresponsive and ext4 file format creation failed. So basically
    the installation fails.

I need to either dual boot in the ssd with out affecting the UEFI boot firmware or install it in my pendrive, since it is USB C, can accept the performance. Please recommend and advice.

Truly.

kalyana krishnanSomasekar, Oct 16, 2016
  3. mlg63 Win User
    No dual-boot at all?!

You are violating the windows license agreement and will not be able to activate windows 10 if you did not upgrade from windows 7 on your boot drive before doing a clean install. The free Windows 10 upgrade replaces your windows 7 license and windows 7 cannot
    be used or transferred after the upgrade. You will have to buy the license to activate windows 10 if you have not purchased it already.

If you are willing to purchase the win 10 license to activate it, here are dual boot instructions but windows 10 can be difficult to dual boot-- (win 7 instructions are the same for win 10)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/install-multiple-operating-system-multiboot#1TC=windows-7

Custom installation of the newest version with drive options is the key to dual booting. Changing boot order in the bios doesn't apply to dual boot. You will have to do a Custom Clean reinstall windows 10. Consider just staying with windows 7 until you replace
    the computer.

mlg63, Oct 16, 2016
Thema:

Dual boot windows 10 - usb boot fails, no custom install option

1. Dual boot windows 10 - usb boot fails, no custom install option - Similar Threads - Dual boot usb

2. No usb boot in boot option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No usb boot in boot option: Hi this is Josh and im having a trouble about my laptop. It was normal and the my laptop suddenly crashed and it shows an error during recovery mode saying "windows/system32/logfiles/srt/srttrail.txt" and i tried reinstalling a new OS but i cant because the usb im using with...
  3. No usb boot in boot option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No usb boot in boot option: Hi this is Josh and im having a trouble about my laptop. It was normal and the my laptop suddenly crashed and it shows an error during recovery mode saying "windows/system32/logfiles/srt/srttrail.txt" and i tried reinstalling a new OS but i cant because the usb im using with...
  4. No usb boot in boot option

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Trouble with USB windows 10 install for dual boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble with USB windows 10 install for dual boot: I followed these instructions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-on-a-windows-11/0752ea25-4ba3-43af-b75b-2b297c3cd10fAnd Booted from USB In setup on select driver to install, my partition isn't there. No drives show up. Please...
  6. Trouble with USB windows 10 install for dual boot

Trouble with USB windows 10 install for dual boot: I followed these instructions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-on-a-windows-11/0752ea25-4ba3-43af-b75b-2b297c3cd10fAnd Booted from USB In setup on select driver to install, my partition isn't there. No drives show up. Please...
  7. Trouble with USB windows 10 install for dual boot

8. No boot options after creating Windows dual-boot

No boot options after creating Windows dual-boot: I used to have a dual-boot with Manjaro and Win10 1909, but decided to stick with Windows for the time being and removed the dual boot and deleted the Manjaro partition. However, Manjaro still appeared in my boot options. I recently tried to create another dual-boot with 2...
  9. Dual boot option

Dual boot option: Hello sir, i have a dual boot os on my windows 10 and i already delete the other one using msconfig option, Now i want to bring back the dual boot option again.. Is it possible?...
  10. Install Windows 10 as dual boot without USB or DVD

Install Windows 10 as dual boot without USB or DVD: Hi guys, I have the Windows 10 Pro ISO with a Windows 10 key. (from MSDN) I want to install Windows 10 as dual boot with Windows 8.1. Both are x64. Is it possible to install Windows 10 from the ISO? I know you can upgrade that way. But I want to do a clean install...