Windows 10: Dual boot Windows 10 & Windows 7 using 2 HD's

Discus and support Dual boot Windows 10 & Windows 7 using 2 HD's in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 installed on one HD and running well. I've just added a second formatted HD where I wish to install Windows 7. My question -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jim1931, Feb 26, 2016.

1. jim1931 Win User

Dual boot Windows 10 & Windows 7 using 2 HD's

I have Windows 10 installed on one HD and running well.

I've just added a second formatted HD where I wish to install Windows 7.

My question - should I first disconnect the Windows 10 HD before installing Windows 7 on the new HD?

My concern is that I not mess up anything on the Windows 10 drive and will I be able to choose which drive to boot from?

Advice greatly appreciated.

:)

jim1931, Feb 26, 2016

2. Dual boot system consisting of Windows 7 & Windows 10

Is it possible / permissible to alter an existing dual boot system of 2 windows 7 O.S. to upgrade one of the windows 7 to Windows 10 and leave the other Windows 7 as is? The result would be a dual boot system of Windows 7 & 10.

Billy Boy81, Feb 26, 2016
  3. gscosta Win User
    Dual Boot Change from Windows 8.1 & 7 to Windows 10 & 7

I have a dual boot Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.

(1) Is it possible to have a triple boot Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7?

(2) If not, can I just upgrade the Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 to have a dual boot Windows 10 and Windows 7? Or do I have to do the normal dual boot set-up?

gscosta, Feb 26, 2016
  4. ELI
    Eli Win User

Install 10 then install 7 easy *cake

5. Fafhrd Win User
    Windows 10 uses a similarly structured boot management system to that in Windows 7, so an installation of either as a second system on another drive or partition will not affect the first. Disconnecting one drive to install the other is not necessary, and will mean that you will have to use your bios function to decide which system to boot rather than a convenient menu. I am not a great fan of the graphical boot menu, I would prefer the legacy text-based one like in Windows 7. With a utility like EasyBCD, you can do this after installation.

Fafhrd, Feb 26, 2016
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    Depends what setup you want. If you disconnect the W10 disk, you will get an independent W7 installation to which you switch with the BIOS boot priority (I prefer that setup).

If you leave the W10 disk connected, then you will get a double boot with the W7 bootmgr ending up in the W10 bootmgr record. Both setups have their pros and cons.

7. cereberus Win User
    You can run into problems installing 10 first and then 7, as 10 uses a more modern bootloader than 7.

Sometimes (more so on older pcs), you have to repair the boot menu afsterwards to get it to work properly (I use the Macrium Reflect tools to do this). Not that difficult but a nuisance nonetheless.

If you were to start afresh, always install 7, then 10 as that always works properly. For windows 8 and 10 dual booting, order is not important as they use the same bootloader.

cereberus, Feb 27, 2016
  8. CountMike New Member

Safest way to dual BOOT on two disks.
    Disconnect one you don't want that OS on because you may end up with BOOT spread over both of them and if you remove one or BOOT from wrong one you can end up with no OS at all.
    After installing that OS, you can use: EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies on first or even both disks to give you BOOT menu to chose OS you want to BOOT to.
    That process never failed me even with various OSs, like Windows of all kinds plus Linux distros.

CountMike, Feb 27, 2016
  9. ELI
    Eli Win User
    I use 1 disk but I divide them to two
    I can Dual boot fine *Biggrin
    Windows 7 thinks it is last version so Windows 7 will delete 10
    Windows 10 won't delete Windows 7 ;D
    I'm not sure of if you install 7 then 10 7 will be removed
    I remember it does
    You're good to go Just install on the second hdd
    no need disconnect

10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Completely 100% agree. You don't even have to install EasyBCD.

bcdboot d:\windows /d /addlast

run from an elevated command prompt will add the second Windows OS to the boot menu after both hard drives are reconnected. Path in red being to the second OS Windows folder.

Then you can run msconfig and the boot tab will let you set your desired default OS and timeout for choosing.

NavyLCDR, Feb 27, 2016
  11. MacWin Win User
    I realize this is an older thread, but I would like more info on this. I've been running Windows (7, then 8, and now 10) dual boot on two disks for quite some time with no problems until one of the drives started to fail (SMART EVENT and failed test) and I started having boot issues. When I removed the failing drive, I couldn't boot the remaining drive/OS, and had a nightmare repairing it because I couldn't boot the install DVD (finally got it to boot using a portable USB DVD drive!).

My original reason for two drive dual boot was so that when either drive failed, I could easily restore to a new drive from backups on the other drive, but unless I can set it up so that either drive/OS can boot if the other fails or is missing, it's not worth it.

I've replaced the failed drive, but have not yet put an OS on it. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

MacWin, Dec 7, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Disconnect all other hard drives/SSDs except for the drive you want to be able to boot independently. After Windows is installed on the drive you want to be able to boot independently, then you can reconnect other HDDs/SSDs with operating systems on them. Decide which drive you want to be your normal boot drive and make that the priority in UEFI. Then use the bcdboot command to add the secondary operating systems to the boot menu. Since you installed the operating system on the secondary hard drive with only it connect, the secondary hard drive will still retain the boot files on it, they just will not be used until you tell UEFI to boot from it.

Doing it this way you can have 1 HDD with Windows 10 RTM on it, 1 HDD with Windows 10 Insider, 1 HDD with Windows 7. All three hard drives can have the boot files on them and using UEFI boot menu can pick which HDD you want to boot from. Using the bcdboot command you can add the other two operating systems to the boot menu of 1 HDD and not have to continuously switch which hard drive the UEFI boots.

You can do the same thing without disconnecting the other HDDs but you have to be very careful how your UEFI boot order is set up and how the blank hard drive you are installing to is set up so you don't end up actually putting the boot files on a different HDD and I don't really recommend that unless you really know what you are doing and how to fix it if it goes wrong.

NavyLCDR, Dec 7, 2016
  13. MacWin Win User

@NavyLCDR Thanks so much! How can I tell if my PC has UEFI? It's a 6 year old Dell Studio XPS.

MacWin, Dec 7, 2016
  14. CountMike New Member
    Check Disk management, it would have UEFI partition as a first partition on disk.

CountMike, Dec 7, 2016
  15. MacWin Win User
    Just checked, and my BIOS is legacy.

MacWin, Dec 7, 2016
Thema:

1. Dual boot Windows 10 & Windows 7 using 2 HD's - Similar Threads - Dual boot using

2. Dual booting Windows 7 and 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual booting Windows 7 and 10: I have a PC running Windows 7 Home Premium, boot mode is 'Legacy BIOS in UEFI secure boot not supported', motherboard is a Gigabyte Z87X-D3H with a 100 Mhz bus, 16GB memory and 'UEFI: American Megatrends F5 05/16/2013' with a 250GB SSD. I want to dual boot with W7 and W10....
  3. 2 Windows 7 (dual boot) to 2 Windows 10 (dual boot): Is this possible?

2 Windows 7 (dual boot) to 2 Windows 10 (dual boot): Is this possible?: I have already checked that the process to upgrade my Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit laptop to the equivalent Win 10 runs smoothly keeping almost every application and all data perfect. The point is that I have a rather complex (for me) configuration in an HP system with two Win...
  4. Windows 7/10 dual boot?

Windows 7/10 dual boot?: About time I changed to Windows 10 (Pro) I guess. However, I would perhaps (still mulling pros and cons) like to have a dual boot with my current Windows 7 (Home) - the PC is 99% used for gaming (X-Plane 11) and some of the older hardware I use, and want to keep, such as a...
  5. Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10

Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10: I have Windows 7 on my C: drive, I downloaded Windows 10 from Microsoft onto a USB connected SATA drive on my laptop. (drive F:) When I go to install Windows 10 it does not ask me what drive I want to install it to. Will it automatically install to the F: drive since that is...
  6. Dual booting Windows 10 and 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual booting Windows 10 and 7: I have a machine with the following specs: i5 3570K 8GB DDR3 1600 Z77 Pro4-M HD7950 1x1TB WD Blue (D:\ and F:\ Windows 7 x64) 1x250GB Seagate Surveillance HDD (C:\) (Windows 10 x64) Windows 7 is installed on the 1TB drive, and Windows 10 is installed on the 250GB drive. At...
  7. Dual booting windows 7 and 10

Dual booting windows 7 and 10: I have just upgraded windows 7 to windows 10... I've bought a new ssd to install windows 10, but it was installed over my windows 7(in the old ssd) in the process.... Articles in this forum say that you cannot dual boot windows 7 and windows 10, since once you proceed to...
  8. Dual boot windows 10 & 7

Dual boot windows 10 & 7: Hello I have a computer with windows 7 home premium 64 bit with a genuine licence. I have two identicle SSDs (with different serial numbers obviously) I want to run windows 7 on one. I want to put the image of the original on the second and have a dual boot. Software...
  9. Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot: I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the...
  10. Dual boot with Windows 10 and 7

Dual boot with Windows 10 and 7: When I ordered my new Windows 10 laptop it was ordered with a 1TB SSD, I expected it to be a single 1TB SSD, but it arrived with 2 SSDs, both of which are 500 GB and have different drive letters. The first SSD is the Windows 10 op sys drive with installed apps. The second one...