Windows 10: Dual Boot Windows 7 and Windows 10

Discus and support Dual Boot Windows 7 and Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Greetings, Since I found a solution to my problem in this forum ( How to Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 ) I want to share the problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by deweirdf, Dec 17, 2015.

1. deweirdf Win User

Dual Boot Windows 7 and Windows 10

Greetings,

Since I found a solution to my problem in this forum ( How to Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 )
    I want to share the problem solved with this community.
    As soon as Windows 10 customer preview appeared my Windows 7 Dell PC was setup for dual boot using
    the text based boot screen aka Windows Boot Manager, and this worked fine for many months.
    Having to replace disks I decided to perform a clean install starting with Windows 10 on the first partition of the hard drive, followed by a restored Windows 7 on the second partition. Doing so I would be able to drop Windows 7 and extend the Windows 10 partition in the future.
    At first it seemed OK again starting from the text boot screen, but after shutdown from Windows 10 the system started up with the GUI boot screen from Windows 10. When using restart from Windows 10 the text based boot menu appeared again. Furthermore when selecting Windows 7 from the GUI boot, the PC did restart before booting up in Windows 7.
    Having exhausted easybcd and bootrec options without a solution, I decided to scratch Windows 10 and install again on the first hard disk partition. This time Windows 10 installed with a "System Reserved" partition which further confused the issue since it not only contains the Windows Recovery Environment but also the Windows 10 BCD store.
    After some investigation I found out that Windows 7,8 and 10 do create this system reserved partition when installed on unallocated disk space. Installing on an existing partition avoids this as Windows thinks there is no room for that extra partition.
    So scratch and install Windows 10 again without system reserved partition.
    Everything seemed quite clean this time. The MBR pointed to the Windows 7 BCD and text based boot was OK.
    I also confirmed that Windows 10 did not have a BCD installed ( no boot folder ).
    Still when shutting down Windows 10, the PC restarted with GUI Windows 10 boot and required an extra boot for Windows 7.
    Oddly the restart was working ok to switch between Windows versions.
    At this point I was ready to scratch everything and reverse the partition order on the hard disk having found some comments that on dual boot Windows the older OS has to be installed before ( in time and partition ) the more recent one.
    By sheer luck I bumped into the How to Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 tutorial suspecting Windows 10
    was doing something special at shutdown. For good measure I also turned of hibernation in Windows 10.
    At last all is well now, only text boot is active and no more double restarts required.
    Feel free to comment or ask questions if you run into similar issues.

:)

deweirdf, Dec 17, 2015
  2. gscosta Win User

Dual Boot Change from Windows 8.1 & 7 to Windows 10 & 7

I have a dual boot Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.

(1) Is it possible to have a triple boot Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7?

(2) If not, can I just upgrade the Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 to have a dual boot Windows 10 and Windows 7? Or do I have to do the normal dual boot set-up?

gscosta, Dec 17, 2015
  3. How do I restore dual boot capability after Windows 10 clean install removed it

My computer was dual-boot with Windows 7 boot partitions on two separate drives. After upgrading to Windows 10, the dual boot provision worked fine. However after a clean install of Windows 10, dual-boot capability is no longer available. The boot partition
    for the remaining Windows 7 syBistem is intact. Only the dual boot option is gone.

I tried the changing the default operating system under System Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery, but the only choice is Windows 10. Windows 7 isn't a option. I'm guessing that the clean Windows 10 install wiped out access to the dual-boot menu.

Thanks.

Bill

B_Phillips, Dec 17, 2015
Thema:

Dual Boot Windows 7 and Windows 10

1. Dual Boot Windows 7 and Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Dual Boot

2. Remove failed install dual boot kali linux with Windows11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove failed install dual boot kali linux with Windows11: I tried installing Kali Linux as dual boot, however there were several AMDGPU errors i could not fix, even in the recovery mode. I decided I will go for another linux as dual boot next to Windows 11 at a later stage. First I would like to remove that partition, including all...
  3. Remove failed install dual boot kali linux with Windows11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove failed install dual boot kali linux with Windows11: I tried installing Kali Linux as dual boot, however there were several AMDGPU errors i could not fix, even in the recovery mode. I decided I will go for another linux as dual boot next to Windows 11 at a later stage. First I would like to remove that partition, including all...
  4. Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition

Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition: Hello I need help. I have a HP laptop with 500 gb hard drive. So i created two partitions of that 500 gb hard drive with AOEMI partition assistant and both are GPT partitions. In the first partition C: i installed windows 11 and in the second one i installed Windows 10 which...
  5. Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition: Hello I need help. I have a HP laptop with 500 gb hard drive. So i created two partitions of that 500 gb hard drive with AOEMI partition assistant and both are GPT partitions. In the first partition C: i installed windows 11 and in the second one i installed Windows 10 which...
  6. Dual boot option not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot option not showing: Have Windows 7 and installed now istalled windows 10 on seperate drive but DUAL BOOT Option not showing help pleaseBoth drives show in BIOS and if changed in BIOS can boot to each OS But...I need option on start up of selecting the OS.Asus Mobo windows 7 on 500gb SSD and...
  7. Dual boot option not showing

Dual boot option not showing: Have Windows 7 and installed now istalled windows 10 on seperate drive but DUAL BOOT Option not showing help pleaseBoth drives show in BIOS and if changed in BIOS can boot to each OS But...I need option on start up of selecting the OS.Asus Mobo windows 7 on 500gb SSD and...
  8. Dual boot option not showing

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. How to install Windows 10 pro for dual boot without it automatically use the same license...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install Windows 10 pro for dual boot without it automatically use the same license...: Hey everyone, recently I tried to install Windows 10 Pro for dual boot, and it automatically use the same activation key from my Windows 11 Pro. Thankfully I managed to get rid the Windows 10 Pro in fear of Microsoft blocking my activation key. Is there any way to use Windows...
  10. How to install Windows 10 pro for dual boot without it automatically use the same license...

How to install Windows 10 pro for dual boot without it automatically use the same license...: Hey everyone, recently I tried to install Windows 10 Pro for dual boot, and it automatically use the same activation key from my Windows 11 Pro. Thankfully I managed to get rid the Windows 10 Pro in fear of Microsoft blocking my activation key. Is there any way to use Windows...