Windows 10: Dual boot with Windows 7 deletes Windows 10 restore points

Discus and support Dual boot with Windows 7 deletes Windows 10 restore points in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm dual booting Windows 7 & 10, and when boot up Windows 7, and then back into Windows 10, the Windows 10 restore points have been deleted. I tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by te7, Aug 16, 2015.

1. TE7
    te7 Win User

Dual boot with Windows 7 deletes Windows 10 restore points

I'm dual booting Windows 7 & 10, and when boot up Windows 7, and then back into Windows 10, the Windows 10 restore points have been deleted. I tried the fix here but it didn't work. The restore points are still being deleted. Anybody else having problems with this (maybe maybe dual booting with Windows 8 with the same problem)? If so, is there a fix for this? I've searched the web and haven't found one yet. Thanks in advance for any replies.

:)

2. graham66 Win User

Dual Boot Windows 7 & 10-Restore points being deleted

I dual Boot Windows 7 & 10, with Windows 7 as the default.

Whenever I open Windows 10, after having opened Windows 7, all the Resore Points have been deleted. The Windows 7 Restore Points are unaffected.

I have read that this was a known problem in Dual Boot systems a while ago, but does anyone know if a "fix" is now available?

thanks

Graham

graham66, Aug 16, 2015
  3. Gwilki Win User
    Windows 10 - Restore Points are being deleted

I am having this problem, too, but I have found out the root cause of my problem. I don't know if this will help any of you.

I have a dual boot machine. It can boot either win 7 or win 10.

When I boot into win 10, make sure system protection is turned on, allocate space for restore points and create restore points, all looks fine. I can see the restore points.

However, if I then restart into win 7, the go back to win 10, all is gone. System protection is still turned on, but the allocated space has been set to zero and the restore points are deleted.

I have confirmed with MS that this is a known design feature. Win 10 does not delete the win 7 restore points, but win 7 will, in my opinion, act like a virus and delete the win 10 restore points.

I'm trying to find a work around, but I'm not optimistic.

Gwilki, Aug 16, 2015
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

probably part of the problem is caused by the same system recovery partitions being used by both W10 and W7.

IMO the best way to dual boot is to have two separate partitions for the OS'es - including the extra system / recovery partitions and before booting EITHER OS is to HIDE the other OS and its partitions. There used to be a program called Easyboot or something like that - but I haven't dual booted for years now.

If the OS is totally on a separate HDD you could disable that HDD possibly in the BIOS before booting the second OS. Depends though on your BIOS.

Unless you REALLY HAVE to dual boot - why not consider using a VM (Virtual Machine) for your second OS. VM's these days can handle most graphics and hardware so if it's mainly legacy stuff you want to run (Old OS) or test a new OS (W10) a VM should be fine.

A VM won't always be appropriate (serious gamers) etc but I'm sure in over 90% of cases where people are Dual booting a VM would work just as well.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 16, 2015
  5. TE7
    te7 Win User
    I really don't want to do a VM. Performance isn't not as good as a native machine installation, plus Windows 10 is so new that VirtualBox hasn't worked out all the bugs yet, either as Windows 10 host or guest. VirtualBox is my preferred VM manager. I've tried the Windows 10 Tech Preview as a guest in VirtualBox using my Windows 7 installation as the host. I didn't like the experience. Not as good as a native installation. Plus I'm experimenting with my native Windows 10 installation to see if I like it good enough to eventually remove my Windows 7 installation. I was just wondering if anybody had found a fix for the deletion of restore points. Not many people dual boot so finding people with the same problem is rare I guess. Thanks for the reply and advice. I really appreciate it.

Best Regards,
    Tom

6. hiphopper Win User
    This has been a problem with Dual booting since Windows 7/8 I believe. To the best of my knowledge there is no good solution other than separate partitions as has already been recommended.

How about another option instead of Virtualbox? Install Windows 10 and run Windows 7 under Hyper-V? Not knowing what your exact issue is with performance (are you running video games for instance) it is impossible to come up with better solutions.

Or Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10. You have 30 days to revert back to Windows 7 if you find you don't want to stay with Windows 10. If that isn't enough time to make a decision, then I'm not sure how to help.

I'm frankly not sure where a dual boot system would benefit me anymore with VM's being so easy to work with.

hiphopper, Aug 17, 2015
  7. Geneo Win User
    You didn't happen to clone the Windows 7 and then convert it to 10 did you? Windows can get mixed up on the identity of the drive for shadow copies when you do that IME.

Geneo, Aug 17, 2015
  8. TE7
    te7 Win User

Yes that's what I did. I cloned Windows 7 and upgraded it to Windows 10. That explains a lot. Thanks for the info. I thought that was the easiest way to try Windows 10 with a native installation. I guess until I remove my Windows 7 installation (which I'll probably do soon) I'll just create new restore points in Windows 10 every time I boot into it. I find myself primarily in Windows 10 now all the time anyway now (I want to thoroughly use it to see if I'll stick with it). Again, thanks for the info.

Thema:

1. Dual boot with Windows 7 deletes Windows 10 restore points - Similar Threads - Dual boot deletes

2. Dual booting Windows 7 and 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual booting Windows 7 and 10: I have a PC running Windows 7 Home Premium, boot mode is 'Legacy BIOS in UEFI secure boot not supported', motherboard is a Gigabyte Z87X-D3H with a 100 Mhz bus, 16GB memory and 'UEFI: American Megatrends F5 05/16/2013' with a 250GB SSD. I want to dual boot with W7 and W10....
  3. Windows 7/10 dual boot?

Windows 7/10 dual boot?: About time I changed to Windows 10 (Pro) I guess. However, I would perhaps (still mulling pros and cons) like to have a dual boot with my current Windows 7 (Home) - the PC is 99% used for gaming (X-Plane 11) and some of the older hardware I use, and want to keep, such as a...
  4. Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10

Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10: I have Windows 7 on my C: drive, I downloaded Windows 10 from Microsoft onto a USB connected SATA drive on my laptop. (drive F:) When I go to install Windows 10 it does not ask me what drive I want to install it to. Will it automatically install to the F: drive since that is...
  5. Dual booting Windows 10 and 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual booting Windows 10 and 7: I have a machine with the following specs: i5 3570K 8GB DDR3 1600 Z77 Pro4-M HD7950 1x1TB WD Blue (D:\ and F:\ Windows 7 x64) 1x250GB Seagate Surveillance HDD (C:\) (Windows 10 x64) Windows 7 is installed on the 1TB drive, and Windows 10 is installed on the 250GB drive. At...
  6. Dual booting windows 7 and 10

Dual booting windows 7 and 10: I have just upgraded windows 7 to windows 10... I've bought a new ssd to install windows 10, but it was installed over my windows 7(in the old ssd) in the process.... Articles in this forum say that you cannot dual boot windows 7 and windows 10, since once you proceed to...
  7. Dual boot windows 10 & 7

Dual boot windows 10 & 7: Hello I have a computer with windows 7 home premium 64 bit with a genuine licence. I have two identicle SSDs (with different serial numbers obviously) I want to run windows 7 on one. I want to put the image of the original on the second and have a dual boot. Software...
  8. Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot: I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the...
  9. Dual Boot Windows 7 And 10

Dual Boot Windows 7 And 10: I have been running Windows 7 on a Dell OptiPlex 960. The 960 has 2 hard drives. I made a system image, (Macrium) of drive C, (Windows 7) I then installed that image on the second hard drive (F). I unplugged the first hard drive, (C) and booted into second drive, (F), fired...
  10. Dual boot with Windows 10 and 7

Dual boot with Windows 10 and 7: When I ordered my new Windows 10 laptop it was ordered with a 1TB SSD, I expected it to be a single 1TB SSD, but it arrived with 2 SSDs, both of which are 500 GB and have different drive letters. The first SSD is the Windows 10 op sys drive with installed apps. The second one...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. qindow 10 duel boot lost restore points