Windows 10: Dual boot XP on an existing Windows 10 installation.

Discus and support Dual boot XP on an existing Windows 10 installation. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Toshiba Satellite S875-S7136 laptop. I already have Win10 x64 installed on the disk's primary main partition and the remaining half of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by idigweeds, Mar 30, 2017.

1. idigweeds Win User

Dual boot XP on an existing Windows 10 installation.

I have a Toshiba Satellite S875-S7136 laptop. I already have Win10 x64 installed on the disk's primary main partition and the remaining half of the disk is unallocated space. In the BIOS, I set the bios to look for the DVD drive before loading the hard disk.

I first tried to run setup from the disk while Windows 10 was running. However, the install/setup option is greyed out and non-functional. I then tried rebooting the laptop to the DVD drive, but it skips past the DVD and runs from the hard drive instead. Any way I can get past this impasse?

:)

idigweeds, Mar 30, 2017
  2. bobrcnut Win User

Replace dual boot XP/Win8.1 with dual boot XP/Win10?

From what I've seen here, it will not be possible to set up a new dual boot system with Windows 10 in one partition, but what about replacing Win8.1 with Windows 10 on a system that is ALREADY dual boot? In other words, can I boot into the existing Win8.1
    system, then do the Win10 upgrade to that partition without affecting the XP partition?

bobrcnut, Mar 30, 2017
  3. how to dual boot windows 10 and windows xp

i want to dual boot my windows 10 pc with windows xp because there are some games i want to play that are only on xp rite now. i have xp on a cd and is ready to be installed. is there an app that can take care of the dual boot process for me ?

derwombat875, Mar 30, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

Looks like CD/DVD inserted is not bootable.

CountMike, Mar 30, 2017
  5. idigweeds Win User
    ?MS makes unbootable OS install disks?

idigweeds, Mar 30, 2017
  6. DavidY Win User
    Have you turned off Fast Startup in Windows 10?
    Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

If Fast Startup is on, then when you 'Shut Down' Windows 10, it actually does a form of Hibernation, which I think means the BIOS doesn't let another OS boot.

DavidY, Mar 31, 2017
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    That's a good point, but a restart (reboot) is not affected by Fast Startup. I would turn it off, in any case.

Also, check your BIOS setting for boot sequence once more. I know you said you set it, but if you accidentally exited with a save of the settings, it did not take. Just check it one more time to be sure.

Also a question. This DVD.....is it an OEM XP Install Media? If it is and it did not come with your current machine (i.e. matches the key in the MB), it will not work. OEM Install media will not work on different machines.

f14tomcat, Mar 31, 2017
  8. Samuria Win User

Has your pc got secure boot as that would stop it. You always install the oldest o/s first as it wont understand the boot for new o/s so if you install xp after 10 things wont boot you will have problems. Why not run it from a virtual pc with virtualbox which is free Downloads – Oracle VM VirtualBox

Samuria, Mar 31, 2017
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    Another good point. I had the same issue when I tried to put Win 7 on after 10. It got all messed up in the BCD. Still, if that's an OEM XP media, he's gonna have problems with the license.
    @idigweeds , do you have any other bootable DVD, like a Windows Rescue or anything you could try to see if your BIOS is set right and will boot from any DVD?

f14tomcat, Mar 31, 2017
  10. CountMike New Member
    May have been bootable once upon a time but CDs are not most reliable media.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual boot XP on an existing Windows 10 installation. - Similar Threads - Dual boot existing

2. Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro: I have new Windows 10 Pro laptop and want to configure to dual boot Windows XP, what is the best way to go about. Installation on multiple partitions or creating virtual machine using Hyper-V? I need to do this on 10 laptops, what is the easy way to do it. It is possible to...
  3. Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro: I have new Windows 10 Pro laptop and want to configure to dual boot Windows XP, what is the best way to go about. Installation on multiple partitions or creating virtual machine using Hyper-V? I need to do this on 10 laptops, what is the easy way to do it. It is possible to...
  4. Dual booting windows with existing installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual booting windows with existing installation: Hi all, For various (annoying) reasons, I would like to dual boot two windows installations on my laptop. Currently, Windows 10 Enterprise is installed. Would it be possible to create a new partition from which I could boot a new installation of windows 10 for education? I...
  5. windows dual boot between 10 & XP

windows dual boot between 10 & XP: hello everyone! *Smile i'm new here just coming over from sevenforums *Roflmao2 anyway i hope sumone maybe able to give me a quick fix to this mess... ok here's the deal...I;ve got 2 partitions on 1 hard drive.....one is windows 10 installed on C: and the other is windows XP...
  6. XP dual boot with W10

in Windows 10 Support
    XP dual boot with W10: Have read a shed-load of info on here about dual booting XP and W10...just need to clarify a few bits! I need to retain XP due to a hardware/software issue where the hardware will only run with XP... In preparation I have partitioned my HDD to C:\ 78GB (XP) and the...
  7. Dual boot Windows 10 with XP

Dual boot Windows 10 with XP: Hi all I have recently purchased an OMEN 880 (win 10 home edition pre-installed),with 2 empty bays on top for extra hard drives and I would like to know if it's possible to install the hard drive from my Asus into one of these bays, then dual boot. I have read on the...
  8. Windows 10/XP Dual Boot with pre-existing 10 install

Windows 10/XP Dual Boot with pre-existing 10 install: I've been working on capturing all of my old camcorder footage. Unfortunately, I need FireWire capability for that. Very few motherboards put out since the 1156 socket set have come with FireWire. I purchased an add-on card from Amazon and have it successfully setup in my...
  9. Windows 10 dual boot with XP - problems.

Windows 10 dual boot with XP - problems.: Hi all, I had Windows XP on my hard drive for a long time, created a separate partition and installed Windows 10. (both 32 bit). Windows 10 is working fine, it set up the dual boot menu where I can also select Windows XP ("earlier version of Windows"). Problem is, in...
  10. Dual boot XP on top of Windows 10

Dual boot XP on top of Windows 10: I have Windows 10 Home on my PC and I'd like to dual boot Windows XP on top of windows 10. But how to do that since after XP, Windows 10 MBR will be lost. 25724