Windows 10: Dual Booting Windows 10 and Windows 7

Discus and support Dual Booting Windows 10 and Windows 7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have recently installed W 10 as dual boot with W7.W10 is working fine.However while there is no problem from restart from W7 to W10,restarting from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Partha, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Partha Win User

Dual Booting Windows 10 and Windows 7

I have recently installed W 10 as dual boot with W7.W10 is working fine.However while there is no problem from restart from W7 to W10,restarting from W10 to W7 starts diskcheck for all partitions.Sometimes a dark screen (with disk activity visible) could be seen .Rebooting again diskcheck started.

Request assistance to solve this.

:)

Partha, Nov 1, 2014
  2. gscosta Win User

Dual Boot Change from Windows 8.1 & 7 to Windows 10 & 7

I have a dual boot Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.

(1) Is it possible to have a triple boot Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7?

(2) If not, can I just upgrade the Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 to have a dual boot Windows 10 and Windows 7? Or do I have to do the normal dual boot set-up?

gscosta, Nov 1, 2014
  3. How do I restore dual boot capability after Windows 10 clean install removed it

My computer was dual-boot with Windows 7 boot partitions on two separate drives. After upgrading to Windows 10, the dual boot provision worked fine. However after a clean install of Windows 10, dual-boot capability is no longer available. The boot partition
    for the remaining Windows 7 syBistem is intact. Only the dual boot option is gone.

I tried the changing the default operating system under System Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery, but the only choice is Windows 10. Windows 7 isn't a option. I'm guessing that the clean Windows 10 install wiped out access to the dual-boot menu.

Thanks.

Bill

B_Phillips, Nov 1, 2014
  4. unifex Win User

I have noticed that a while ago, with W8. The way I go around it (as I don't know what the real problem is) is to install W10 on a separate drive with all other drives disconnected. This way in order to switch to the secondary OS I need to use the BIOS - I press F8 (I have an ASUS motherboard) at boot to get to the menu where I can choose the drive to boot from. In that setup the disk check does not appear unless I take ownership of a drive or make any other significant changes.

unifex, Nov 1, 2014
  5. pbcopter Win User
    Windows 10 (Windows 8 also) has a mode called Fast Startup. This causes the hard drives be put into a state that Windows 7 does not understand, hence the chkdsk.

See this tutorial to turn Fast Startup off.

Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 8

pbcopter, Nov 1, 2014
  6. Partha Win User
    Thank you very much.the problem is solved.

Partha, Nov 2, 2014
  7. pbcopter Win User
    You're welcome. Glad to have helped.

pbcopter, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual Booting Windows 10 and Windows 7 - Similar Threads - Dual Booting

2. Dual Boot Windows 10 with same Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual Boot Windows 10 with same Product Key: Can i dual boot my Windows 10 Pro OS on same PC and will it work with same Product Key which i had purchased?I want to run 2 Win10 OS on the same PC. Since my hardware config will be the same will it accept the product key on both the same OS?Please clarify if anyone has done...
  3. Dual Boot Windows 10 with same Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Boot Windows 10 with same Product Key: Can i dual boot my Windows 10 Pro OS on same PC and will it work with same Product Key which i had purchased?I want to run 2 Win10 OS on the same PC. Since my hardware config will be the same will it accept the product key on both the same OS?Please clarify if anyone has done...
  4. Dual Boot Windows 10 with same Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows dual boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows dual boot: My current laptop is a dell inspiron 3521 and it is about 12 years old nowit had come preinstalled with Windows 8.1 and all the drivers were working properlyafter moving to windows 10 my amd gpu hasn't ever workedCan i dual boot with windows 8.1 and windows 10 installedwill...
  6. Windows dual boot

Windows dual boot: My current laptop is a dell inspiron 3521 and it is about 12 years old nowit had come preinstalled with Windows 8.1 and all the drivers were working properlyafter moving to windows 10 my amd gpu hasn't ever workedCan i dual boot with windows 8.1 and windows 10 installedwill...
  7. Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem: Hi all, I acquired a new laptop about 6 months ago and want to add Win10 as a dual boot option but I keep hitting a point where I need a little clarity but have not been able to find any discussion on the subject.I follow all the instructions set out in this and other...
  8. Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem

Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem: Hi all, I acquired a new laptop about 6 months ago and want to add Win10 as a dual boot option but I keep hitting a point where I need a little clarity but have not been able to find any discussion on the subject.I follow all the instructions set out in this and other...
  9. Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. How to Dual boot Windows with another OS, while keeping the TPM reserved for windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Dual boot Windows with another OS, while keeping the TPM reserved for windows: I like to mess around with different operating systems, but for convenience, I often return to Windows regularly.It would really help me to set up a Dual boot on my Main PC with Windows and Arch Linux so i can mess with diffrend Operating systems Via Distro box or similar...