Windows 10: Dual Booting Windows 7 and Windows 10

Discus and support Dual Booting Windows 7 and Windows 10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I decided to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10, so I made a bootable USB drive from the Windows 10 media creation tool and then installed Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Stoby200, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Stoby200 Win User

Dual Booting Windows 7 and Windows 10

I decided to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10, so I made a bootable USB drive from the Windows 10 media creation tool and then installed Windows 10 on the SSD. However, it didn't register as a direct upgrade and needs a product key in order to access certain things. Basically, I need Windows 10 to recognise that it has been upgraded and that it is not a completely new version. The reason why I didn't wait for the download from my reservation was because I didn't know whether I would get the option to install it on a seperate drive from my Windows 7 drive.

:)

Stoby200, Aug 7, 2015
  2. gscosta Win User

Dual Boot Change from Windows 8.1 & 7 to Windows 10 & 7

I have a dual boot Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.

(1) Is it possible to have a triple boot Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7?

(2) If not, can I just upgrade the Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 to have a dual boot Windows 10 and Windows 7? Or do I have to do the normal dual boot set-up?

gscosta, Aug 7, 2015
  3. How do I restore dual boot capability after Windows 10 clean install removed it

My computer was dual-boot with Windows 7 boot partitions on two separate drives. After upgrading to Windows 10, the dual boot provision worked fine. However after a clean install of Windows 10, dual-boot capability is no longer available. The boot partition
    for the remaining Windows 7 syBistem is intact. Only the dual boot option is gone.

I tried the changing the default operating system under System Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery, but the only choice is Windows 10. Windows 7 isn't a option. I'm guessing that the clean Windows 10 install wiped out access to the dual-boot menu.

Thanks.

Bill

B_Phillips, Aug 7, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

In order to get Windows 10 to recognize that it has been upgraded, you actually have to upgrade something with it. You have created a completely new Windows 10 installation that you need to purchase a retail license (which comes with a key) for it. Microsoft is only giving away free Windows 10 upgrades. That means, legally, you lose the license to run the previous operating system when you upgrade to Windows 10. Until such time as you uninstall the Windows 10 and switch 100% back to the previous OS. There is nothing, really, physically keeping you from using both at the same time - just against the law.

NavyLCDR, Aug 7, 2015
  5. Stoby200 Win User
    So, I'm just going to have to be patient and wait for the reservation download then, do you know if you get the option to install Windows 10 on a separate drive when you upgrade that way?

Stoby200, Aug 7, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    No, you don't have to wait for the reservation download. You can use the "Upgrade this PC now" option of the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. However an upgrade install will not give you the option to install it on a separate drive because that would be a clean install - not an upgrade..

Hint: make an image of your Windows 7 installation first, using Macrium Reflect Free.

NavyLCDR, Aug 7, 2015
  7. Stoby200 Win User
    So, I made the image and put it on my external hdd, and am currently in the process of upgrading from Windows 7 to 10 on my slow old HDD where Windows 7 was. Presumably because I have upgraded I won't need a product key and will be able to either launch the 'other' Windows 10 that I clean installed yesterday or, if this doesn't work, I will try and move the upgraded Windows 10 to the SSD and then put the image of Windows 7 back onto the original Harrdrive, or partition the SSD, and then dual boot from there. That sounds quite complex when I put it into words, but do you think it will work? (Also the Windows 10 upgrade has been stuck on 25% for quite some time now).

Stoby200, Aug 8, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

It should work, but it will be a violation of the Terms and Conditions that you agreed to for the upgrade. Legally you can only have either the previous OS installed and activated OR the Windows 10 installed and activated - not both.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual Booting Windows 7 and Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Dual Booting

2. MS tech can't fix my Win 11 problem - can I set up dual boot and will I have access to all...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS tech can't fix my Win 11 problem - can I set up dual boot and will I have access to all...: Problem - tiny text at top of screen and all popups.Spent over 7 hrs with 8 different MS Win 11 tech people and problem not solved.Would like to set up dual boot to Linux - if so, will I have access to all my files AND programs?If Linux solves the problem, can I then delete...
  3. MS tech can't fix my Win 11 problem - can I set up dual boot and will I have access to all...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS tech can't fix my Win 11 problem - can I set up dual boot and will I have access to all...: Problem - tiny text at top of screen and all popups.Spent over 7 hrs with 8 different MS Win 11 tech people and problem not solved.Would like to set up dual boot to Linux - if so, will I have access to all my files AND programs?If Linux solves the problem, can I then delete...
  4. Remove failed install dual boot kali linux with Windows11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove failed install dual boot kali linux with Windows11: I tried installing Kali Linux as dual boot, however there were several AMDGPU errors i could not fix, even in the recovery mode. I decided I will go for another linux as dual boot next to Windows 11 at a later stage. First I would like to remove that partition, including all...
  5. Remove failed install dual boot kali linux with Windows11

Remove failed install dual boot kali linux with Windows11: I tried installing Kali Linux as dual boot, however there were several AMDGPU errors i could not fix, even in the recovery mode. I decided I will go for another linux as dual boot next to Windows 11 at a later stage. First I would like to remove that partition, including all...
  6. Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition

Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition: Hello I need help. I have a HP laptop with 500 gb hard drive. So i created two partitions of that 500 gb hard drive with AOEMI partition assistant and both are GPT partitions. In the first partition C: i installed windows 11 and in the second one i installed Windows 10 which...
  7. Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition: Hello I need help. I have a HP laptop with 500 gb hard drive. So i created two partitions of that 500 gb hard drive with AOEMI partition assistant and both are GPT partitions. In the first partition C: i installed windows 11 and in the second one i installed Windows 10 which...
  8. Dual boot option not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot option not showing: Have Windows 7 and installed now istalled windows 10 on seperate drive but DUAL BOOT Option not showing help pleaseBoth drives show in BIOS and if changed in BIOS can boot to each OS But...I need option on start up of selecting the OS.Asus Mobo windows 7 on 500gb SSD and...
  9. Dual boot option not showing

Dual boot option not showing: Have Windows 7 and installed now istalled windows 10 on seperate drive but DUAL BOOT Option not showing help pleaseBoth drives show in BIOS and if changed in BIOS can boot to each OS But...I need option on start up of selecting the OS.Asus Mobo windows 7 on 500gb SSD and...
  10. Dual boot option not showing

in Windows 10 Customization