Windows 10: Dual booting with 2 seperate hard drives

Discus and support Dual booting with 2 seperate hard drives in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, have hp laptop in which I have installed seperately 2 hard drive which runs Windows 10 Proff. And Windows 7 Proff. These have to be installed to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pevers3, Oct 12, 2017.

1. pevers3 Win User

Dual booting with 2 seperate hard drives

Hi, have hp laptop in which I have installed seperately 2 hard drive which runs Windows 10 Proff. And Windows 7 Proff. These have to be installed to the same bay, independently, when they will be recognised. Recently I obtained another dvd drive bay in which I installed the second hard drive which runs Windows 7I have not tried to see if the bios will recognise them this options, do not want to loose the boot partitions, will the bios recognise the hard drives as drive C and drive E or drive D which the dvd drive will have been previously and will be again when I swap the dvd drive back, A lot long-winded question for someone to help and advise about. I previously have lost the boot sections of hard drives and I do not want to loose any on these drives. Thanks Dave

:)

pevers3, Oct 12, 2017
  2. Gene Paul Win User

What is the best way to remove Windows 10 from my dual boot before 7/29

At this time I am do booting Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. 8 .1 is on an SSD and 10 has its own mechanical hard drive. I want to remove Windows 10 from the mechanical hard drive so I don't end up dual booting into 2 copies of Windows 10. My Windows 8 installation
    already has the Windows 10 upgrade flag. Any suggestions. Which hard drive holds the dual-boot "application"?1 thing that

Gene Paul, Oct 12, 2017
  3. __alvin__ Win User
    Need help with dual boot 2 hard drives & Win 10

Thanks Rose,

Apologies for the long break between your response and my answer, but I've been caught up here.

Ok, instead of using the media card I already had with the Win 10 OS on it, I used your link and created a fresh DVD Win 10 ISO.

I did all the things you've recommended and my GAMES OS/hdd would only get to a black screen with a cursor, but it would show both monitors working and I could move the cursor between both (I run 2 monitors), but it stalled there and nothing more would happen.

I then restarted, reconnected and booted from my other Win 10 drive/operating system and from there did a full format of my problem GAMES drive.

Because I'm running a <F12> Boot Menu and want to continue doing something like this, I left the 'Boot Menu' in the loop, but powered down and disconnected the good hdd and reconnected and restarted and installed a fresh Win 10 from the ISO onto the GAMES HDD.

All good so far and up came a fresh Win 10 and I then installed all the Win updates, but... even with this drive running as the only primary hdd (at the moment) with Win 10, upon restart this drive (via the 'Boot Menu') then says ... 'Disk Boot Failure,
    Insert System Disk and Press Enter'!

I inserted the Win 10 ISO and my HDD then booted correctly, but will not boot now without the system ISO loading first!

So, I then tried to do your recommendations again (now that I've definitely got a working system albeit not quite correctly) only to now find that not only would the hdd still not boot, but after inserting the Win ISO, it wants to load a new operating system!

If I then restart and choose to boot from the ISO disk instead and not the GAMES hdd, I can then choose to repair, which it doesn't/or for some reason can't, so the only option left was to (thankfully) roll back to a previous instance of Win which was just
    before I had downloaded all the new OS updates!

Then I could restart the PC, choose boot from the hdd and even thought I still got the 'Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter', on inserting the ISO, it at least didn't want to fix or install a fresh OS and instead finally booted to the OS
    on the HDD!

So, I'm back to the beginning minus all my files I originally lost/wiped on the first of 3 Win 10 installs, but at least we know how it goes now.

So, is there some problem with using Win 10 with a Boot Menu, or is it something as simple as suggested by someone that the 2 drives have to be in a particular order with their SATA connections?

Either way, this NEVER happened or looked like a problem with Win 7 and if this can't be resolved soon, I'm really thinking of going back to Win 7 to stop all this time wasting and angst.

Your help here would be appreciated.

Thanks

__alvin__, Oct 12, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

What ever drive the o/s boots from normally become c even if when booting from another drive its d or e are you going to boot by changing the boot order in the bios?

Samuria, Oct 12, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    BIOS does not assign drives letters. The OS assigns drive letters when the OS loads based on the GUIDs assigned to the drives - which is stored on the drives themselves and does not come from BIOS either. You won't be changing the GUIDs of the drives, therefore when the OS loads, it won't change the drive letters from what they were previously either.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual booting with 2 seperate hard drives - Similar Threads - Dual booting seperate

2. Installing OS on a seperate hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing OS on a seperate hard drive: I am trying to install an OS to a new hard drive for a computer I built, if I purchase the windows 10 OS, can I install it on a hard drive through a SATA reader other than the C: drive or is it going to try to default to my computers C: drive? Also, is the license going to...
  3. How to dual boot Windows 10 with 2 different hard drives?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to dual boot Windows 10 with 2 different hard drives?: Not sure if this is possible.. I have a new I5 Windows 10 desktop. Boots off a 500gig SSD drive and I installed a 2TB drive for additional space. Super fast runs great. I only use it for work. Minimal browsing, mostly excel type stuff. I have an older dell I5 that was...
  4. How to dual boot Windows 10 with 2 different hard drives?

How to dual boot Windows 10 with 2 different hard drives?: Not sure if this is possible.. I have a new I5 Windows 10 desktop. Boots off a 500gig SSD drive and I installed a 2TB drive for additional space. Super fast runs great. I only use it for work. Minimal browsing, mostly excel type stuff. I have an older dell I5 that was...
  5. Accidental dual boot on 2 hard drives. How to revert?

Accidental dual boot on 2 hard drives. How to revert?: I have 2 SSDs and want to have 2 autonomous Windows 10 machines. First one already has Windows 10 and the second one was supposed to get a clean install with another Windows 10 OS via USB. Both SSDs were connected to the PC during the clean install. After I clean installed,...
  6. Lost dual boot with two hard drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost dual boot with two hard drives: ***Modify title from: LOST dual booting function on TWO HD desktop and lost ability to run Win 10 PRO.*** Two HD Desktop was working fine and upon start-up showed option to run Win10 PRO (located on a 1 TB hard drive) or run Windows Vista Ultimate (located on another 1 TB...
  7. Dual boot Win7 and Win10 on seperate HDD's

Dual boot Win7 and Win10 on seperate HDD's: Hi all, I am sure that this has been asked a thousand times but I am new here so please bear with me. Th problem I have is that I loaded Win 10 on a separate HDD went to dual boot. The computer stared then it carried out a scan disk and happily deleted all the files needed...
  8. Dual booting on seperate hard drives?

Dual booting on seperate hard drives?: Not sure where this was supposed to go sorry in advance, I want to dual boot windows 7 and windows 10 on 2 seperate hard drives is it possible? 16808
  9. inquiry about dual booting win10 and osx on seperate drives

inquiry about dual booting win10 and osx on seperate drives: Its my understanding this is much easier (even though i'd prefer the same drive) my set up is convoluted and complicated however. This is due to both my ssd drives being in raid 0 and having windows instealled on them, and my data hdd's are also in raid 0 but have nothing...
  10. Dual boot windows 10 and 7 on seperate drives

Dual boot windows 10 and 7 on seperate drives: I want to set up a dual boot system with windows 10 and 7. I have both already installed on separate drives in my desktop system and was wondering if it is still possible to set up a dual boot. Now I just switch boot priority in BIOS, but sometimes when I start up 7 it wants...