Windows 10: Dual Channel Mode

Discus and support Dual Channel Mode in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; What exactly does this mean? Is it the processor and memory combined? I am looking at a laptop for light coding and to use a particular flight... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by in2tech, Aug 28, 2017.

1. in2tech Win User

Dual Channel Mode

What exactly does this mean? Is it the processor and memory combined? I am looking at a laptop for light coding and to use a particular flight simulation program that is just now in Early Access! This and World of Warships are basically the only games I play. Flight Sim World, all the time, WOW once in awhile.

And the Intel integrated 620 should be fine as Flight Sim World work's in low mode on my current MacBook Air 2012 with a WIndows 10 partition. I figure the difference in technology in 5-6 year's and Dual Channel mode, should be fine.

I am a lite coder first and secondary are the games but I want them to perform medium to high settings. Medium for sure!

Thanks, any information appreciated!

Looking at the:

Lenovo - Yoga 720 2-in-1 13.3" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - 256GB Solid State Drive - Platinum Silver

or the:

Lenovo - Yoga 720 2-in-1 13.3" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 4GB Memory - 128GB Solid State Drive - Platinum Silver

I figure the extra $50.00 is worth the extra ram and ssd? How do I know if they are dual channel mode for sure? They are at Best Buy and these are the exact heading descriptions if you want to look!

Here is the video where he speaks about the dual channel mode the usb-c which I am not totally sure about, etc...

Lenovo Yoga 720 13 Review (New for 2017) - 13.3 2-in-1 - 720-13IKB - YouTube

Family just bought this past weekend the Lenovo Yoga 11.6 I mentioned in another post and I love the build etc.. Will probably hardly ever use the Yoga modes on either laptop, although it is cool!

If this belong's in the hardware area I am sorry!

Thanks again!

:)

in2tech, Aug 28, 2017

2. Dual Channel and Flex mode

I would like to know how dual channel and flex mode works. I think I do but need some clarifications please.

I have 1x 4gb DDR3 and 1x 8gb DDR3 totally 12gb. So, CPUID says they are running in dual channel mode.

My questions are as following:

Q1) 1x 4gb + 0.5x 8gb are running in dual channel; and remaining 4gb is running in flex mode. Is that correct?

Q2) If I consume over 8gb of ram then what happens?

a) 4+4 gb will be running in dual channel, and remaining 4gb running in single channel mode? Or,

b) the entire 12gb will be running in single channel mode?

Q3. Any difference whether I place my ram back or front? For example, 8gb in slot 1 and 4gb in slot 2; or reverse 4gb in front and 8gb in slot 2?

Thanks

Presentelaw, Aug 28, 2017
  3. lacrumb Win User
    WIN10 does not utilize full 16GB of RAM, 8GB hardware reserved

Do you need Dual Channel mode?

lacrumb, Aug 28, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Dual Channel Mode

One example: I got a new ASUS Desktop just under a year ago and it came with a single 8GB RAM Module and the BIOS was set for Single-channel operation. I subsequently replaced that 8GB with 2 matched 8GB modules for 16GB total then reset the BIOS to get the Dual-channel operation. So the main thing was to first make sure there were 2 modules. Most Notebooks have 2 RAM module slots/sockets, I have ASUS, Dell, HP and Toshiba models and all have 2 x 4GB modules except the oldest has 2 x 2GB. Some of the newer ones can accept 16GB total or more. The limits are the number of slots/sockets on the motherboard and/or the coding of the BIOS.

Berton, Aug 28, 2017
  5. Sounds like a homework assignment.
    Look it up!! The answers are not all on YouTube.

Comp Cmndo, Aug 28, 2017
  6. in2tech Win User
    I am still confused is dual channel faster, more efficient, lower power etc... And is the i5 a mobile one since there is no fan in this laptop? Or a regular i5 if that makes sense? I actually tested Flight Sim World on the 11.6" and it worked obviously at low frame rates but did not appear ( might be wrong ) to get hot!

Any more info if this is a good idea for me to purchase this for my need's is appreciated! BTW, SSD is one of the greatest inventions ever to me. The speed is amazing! Reason I bought my Mac, but long in the tooth and time to move on and I really like Windows 10!

in2tech, Aug 28, 2017
  7. in2tech Win User
    That why I was asking the pro's. I have looked it up, just making sure my research is correct. Sorry if it sounded like a homework assignment. I was just trying to get info from more knowledgeable people here.

So rather than ignore a post you don't like, you would rather degrade the member for asking a question? If the moderator's feel this post should not have been made, I will ask them to delete it!

Thanks!

in2tech, Aug 28, 2017
  8. Dual Channel Mode

Dual channel mode is always worth it. It allows more throughput in the system.

Think of it this way: Single channel memory is like a two lane road with one lane for in, one lane for out. Dual channel is like a four lane highway. Two lanes in, two lanes out. Dual channel mode will increase performance by as much as 20%.

ArazelEternal, Aug 28, 2017
  9. in2tech Win User
    Thank you so much for the simple explanation and for helping me. I appreciate it! That is the kind of information I was expecting here, and the kind of response. Much appreciated! And I only referenced the Youtube review in case I heard it wrong, or someone ask exactly what I heard and read online about this option in this particular laptop!

Extremely professional response by you and Berton, and I thank you again!

in2tech, Aug 28, 2017
  10. in2tech Win User
    Well since it got moved to the hardware area, I guess I can continue to ask questions about it. To what are these display nits (sp?) they speak of. They said something about 280 Nits (sp?) And I think I said it did not have a fan but apparently it does which makes sense. I would prefer a fan for the Flight Sim World and lite gaming! She said something about dual channel and that quad channel would actually create a bottle neck, I think she said. Another video I am watching, along with reading online. Hard to find some of this information even on Lenovo's own site *Smile Now I think I am just getting too much information *Smile I just want it to do these few thing's and last as long as my laptop I have now! I would like to get 5-6 years out of this new laptop. Like I said lite coding html, css, CodeIgniter, etc... and my flight simulation last for years, even if I take a few month's off I always go back to it! And they do not create new ones that often. It is a very niche category for gaming/simulation. Not like GTA 1,2,3,4,5, etc...

Thanks again for the professionalism of both if you! It's very refreshing in this day and age *Smile

in2tech, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Dual Channel Mode

1. Dual Channel Mode - Similar Threads - Dual Channel Mode

2. dual channel help, searching for RAM info on windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    dual channel help, searching for RAM info on windows 10: hi i need help,I'm trying to get a similar ram stick for my laptop for dual channel but i cant find the correct info on windowsmy laptop model is : Hp 15-ef0025wmwhen i run hp assistant, cpu z and task manager it tells me different in formation plz help.running cmd does help...
  3. Windows crashes when using dual channel memory

Windows crashes when using dual channel memory: Yup, the title is the problem. If I use windows with my RAM in dual channel it has a higher chance to crash where in single-channel both sticks perform good. I don't understand why this is happening. Does anyone know?...
  4. single channel ddr3 vs dual channel ddr3

single channel ddr3 vs dual channel ddr3: I've got two 10 year old laptops and I'm upgrading the memory to 8GB. On Speccy it's currently reporting the RAM as HP: DDR3 Single channel PC3-12800, 2 slots both used Toshiba: DDR3 Dual channel PC3-10700 2 slots one used I'm confused so please correct me if I am making...
  5. Single vs dual channel RAM in a laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Single vs dual channel RAM in a laptop: I have a new Dell Vostro 5590 i7 10510U laptop with 8GB DDR4 RAM 2666 Mhz and a NVidia MX250 GPU with 2GB. Win10 Pro. NVMe SSD. The RAM is running in single channel currently. There is an available RAM slot that can be used to increase RAM. If I add another 8GB “stick’’ of...
  6. Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel

Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel: Hey everyone, I've got a situation with my old rig I couldn't make sense of. Asus p7p55d pro Intel i7 870 2.93Ghz 2 x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz CAS 7-7-7 Dual Channel Nvidia GT 1030 Lately my PC has been unstable and crashed twice over the last 24 hours which never happened in...
  7. Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel

in Windows 10 Support
    Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel: Hey everyone, I've got a situation with my old rig I couldn't make sense of. Asus p7p55d pro Intel i7 870 2.93Ghz 2 x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz CAS 7-7-7 Dual Channel Nvidia GT 1030 Lately my PC has been unstable and crashed twice over the last 24 hours which never happened in...
  8. BSOD Dual Channel.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Dual Channel.: I only got BSOD's when i'm using both of my memories, and they are the same. I tested one stick at a time, and got no BSOD. Ryzen 2200G Prime A320M-K/BR Corsair Vengeance 2X4 GB 2400MHZ HD 1 TB Seagate 117629
  9. What is Better Dual or Single Channel Memory?

What is Better Dual or Single Channel Memory?: Is 2 slots of memory in performance better than 1 slot using the same amount of RAM, e.g., 1 x 16 GBs of DDR3 Laptop Memory or 2 x 8 GB of DDR3? I think I know the obvious, 1 x 16 GB in 1 slot, correct? Also, I have seen some lower ended laptops - say with just a skylake...
  10. Ram: Dual Channel & Volt

Ram: Dual Channel & Volt: So I am thinking about buying a 8 GB RAM for my laptop. I have a few question about RAM regarding volts and dual channel. #1 My current ram shows it is running at 1.5 V. Can I put it a 1.35 V ram instead? #2 When I put the 2x4 RAM in my laptop, will it dectect that I...