Windows 10: Dual Installation Activation Woes

Discus and support Dual Installation Activation Woes in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Did a dual installation of Windows 10 per the great instructions posted by member BRINK.(Thank You) I started with 32bit PC running Windows 8.1 Pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MajorTom, Jul 31, 2015.

1. MajorTom Win User

Dual Installation Activation Woes

Did a dual installation of Windows 10 per the great instructions posted by member BRINK.(Thank You)
    I started with 32bit PC running Windows 8.1 Pro which was a paid for upgrade from Windows 7 Home.
    All went well till activation.
    The windows 10 installation says it has product key ending 3V66T an installation only key. (Say's key is blocked, makes sense)
    I queried the new key from the installation & got key "A".
    When I try to change the key to A from the settings app I get "0xc004f050", invalid key.
    When I try to change the key A from the Command Line I get 0xC004F050, invalid key.
    When I go to the Windows Store, they want $199.
    Anyone got a clue?

:)

MajorTom, Jul 31, 2015

2. Windows activation woes

Use your Windows 7 product key to reactivate:

Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Change the product key then enter the new product key then click Next to Activate

If you are unable to activate Windows 10 after all the above and you are certain you have the correct edition installed, then please attempt phone activation:

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Windows 7 came preinstalled on my computer, how do I find the product key?

The product key is usually located on the COA sticker attached to the bottom of your laptop or in the battery compartment. In some rare cases it can also be found in the memory compartment. For tower systems, look at the top or the side of the system unit. It
    looks like the following:

Dual Installation Activation Woes [​IMG]

If the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker is damaged or letters or not legible, you will have to consider the following options:

• Use a digital camera to capture a picture of the COA then enlarge it on your computer.

I bought a retail box copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8 or Windows 8.1; where do I find the product key?

For Windows 7, the product key can be located on a pamphlet in inside the Windows 7 box.

Dual Installation Activation Woes [​IMG]

Andre Da Costa, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    Windows activation woes

Hi,

For better assistance with your Windows activation issue, we'd like to know the following:

• Were you getting an error when you try to activate your Windows?
    • "even though it is a brand new SSD - which is another of my query - might be a motherboard issue surfacing" - Have you replaced the motherboard of your computer?

In the meantime, you may check the following articles to troubleshoot the issue:

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, Jul 31, 2015
  4. Rudy Mas Win User

Did you enter the '3V66T' key during installation? If so, that's where you went wrong. When Win10 asks for your key, you always have to skip it and after the OS is installed, and you have logged in with your MS account, Win10 will activate itself with this key. There is no need to manually enter it, because this won't work.

I think only people who have purchased a license will need to enter the key during installation.

Rudy Mas, Jul 31, 2015
  5. MajorTom Win User
    That's part off the issue.
    I DID the "SKIP IT", but the "Change Key" app (I believe) thinks it's VK7JG-NPHTM-C87JM-9MPGT-3V66T, which is a Windows generic installation key.
    When I extract the "actual" key from the installation, I get something entirely different!
    You suppose I have to install something on that partition to upgrade from?

MajorTom, Jul 31, 2015
  6. Rudy Mas Win User
    I had to do a clean install on one of my laptops. It crashed after upgrading from Win8.1, but I was expecting this, because this version of Win8.1 wasn't really stable because of a fault in my registry somewhere, which I couldn't find. *Smile

So, I just booted from the USB stick I made, deleted all the partitions and did a clean install. Afterwards, I had trouble activating it, but is was probably because the servers who deal with the activation had too many requests. I managed to activate it by doing the following thing:

I opened a Command Prompt (Admin) and then used 'slmgr.vbs /ato'.

I had to do it several times, but after four times, my Win10 was activated again. And I have the '3V66T' key on all my systems. (They are all upgrades from Win7/8.1.)

Rudy Mas, Jul 31, 2015
  7. MajorTom Win User
    Did it a bunch.
    Same message " ...server says key blocked".
    I don't really know where that 3V66T key came from anyway.
    I didn't type it in.

MajorTom, Jul 31, 2015
  8. Rudy Mas Win User

Rudy Mas, Jul 31, 2015
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I HATE dual boots --much easier to use a VM for the Guest OS'es. !!

However I assume the OS you were upgrading from WAS ALREADY ACTIVATED. In this case you must UPGRADE first even if you want to do a clean install.

After the upgrade you can then do a new install - it should already be activated --if not enter your previous OS's key - not the one from the Generic install key.

In command mode enter SLUI 3 if you have to change the key. You shouldn't need it but the command is available if you have to use it.

If the previous OS was NOT activated or you haven't done an upgrade from an activated OS first then you've got problems.
    Why not use your W7 system to get an upgrade if the W8 one is broken.

Don't use those web "unofficial activators". You don't know what they are doing and they'll stop working just when you need your computer. Believe me I was a BAD BOY in the past so I know. !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 31, 2015
  10. MajorTom Win User
    I guess I'm not exactly sure what you mean.
    I started with Win 7 Home which came with box & was activated.
    I purchased a Win 8 Pro Pac upgrade from M$.
    Then I got the free Win 8.1 from M$.
    All has been legit down the line.
    What exactly is your suggestion?

MajorTom, Jul 31, 2015
  11. Superfly Win User
    Was the upgrade done whilst online?

In fact can you run this and let me know the error recorded, if any?
    %SystemRoot%\System32\Winevt\Logs\Microsoft-Client-Licensing-Platform%4Admin.evtx

Superfly, Jul 31, 2015
  12. MajorTom Win User
    The Windows 8 upgrade was done on line from a MS vendor.
    The response to your Command Line input was:
    "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.".

One more thing.
    About 2 months ago this mobo was fried by power surge.
    When I installed the new mobo then windows 8.1 would not activate or accept the original 8.1 key or allow me to change it.
    I tried the phone activation & that was a no-go.
    I phoned MS tech & he did a remote access.
    I noticed that he ran some kind of Dos partition editing app.
    I think he made changes in that system reserve partition.
    He then had me reinstall Windows 8 from a DVD that I made.
    After installation it was already activated.
    I can't help but think that the problem might be in that system partition.

BTW: I've uninstalled & reinstalled Win 10 several times using different media & methods with the exact same outcome.

MajorTom, Aug 1, 2015
  13. MajorTom Win User

After MUCHO messing around and the implementation of many methods,
    I've come to the conclusion that the only way your going to get anything FREE is if
    you do an actual upgrade & not an installation on a different partition or drive.
    I think that's how the folks at MS have this all rigged up.
    Any info to the contrary would be most appreciated.
    Thanks for the replies & the insight.

MajorTom, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual Installation Activation Woes - Similar Threads - Dual Installation Activation

2. Windows 10 Re-Activation Woes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Re-Activation Woes: I've recently received a used Windows 10 laptop. It was already registered by the previous owner, but in order to use the laptop, I needed to reset it first because of a forgotten password. It said it needed to be activated, with the watermark in the bottom of the screen. In...
  3. Windows 10 Re-Activation Woes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Re-Activation Woes: I've recently received a used Windows 10 laptop. It was already registered by the previous owner, but in order to use the laptop, I needed to reset it first because of a forgotten password. It said it needed to be activated, with the watermark in the bottom of the screen. In...
  4. Windows 10 Re-Activation Woes

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Update Installation Woes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update Installation Woes: Perhaps the solution to this is very simple. Either way I am voicing this concern here because it has been very frustrating: Two days ago, I was prompted to schedule a time to restart computer for update installation. I scheduled a time --intentionally--when I would not be...
  6. Windows 10 Activation Woes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Activation Woes: I think I might be going crazy Back in January I purchased a Windows 10 Home License from Microsoft (the full $139 version.) I installed Windows 10 in a virtual machine activated it without issues and went about my business. The VM is used for development and testing, and...
  7. Dual wallpaper woes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual wallpaper woes: I have a dual monitor setup with different wallpapers (WP1 & WP2) on each monitor (M1 & M2). I am running Win 10 Professional 1903 So I set WP1 on M1 and WP2 on M2. All is right with the world. I minimize whatever I have open on the monitors and suddenly I have WP1 on M1...
  8. Windows 10 Activation woes

Windows 10 Activation woes: Short story: replaced motherboard, can no longer activate. Long story: I originally had win7 and used the free upgrade to windows 10 back in the day. I signed in to windows with my MS account and i showed active with an online license (forget the exact verbiage; the one...
  9. Activation woes - Windows needs activation to personalize

Activation woes - Windows needs activation to personalize: Hi there anybody else got this -- trying to personalize PC -got you need to activate windows before you can personalize PC. Now what do I do !!!!!?! Is this normal (I did an UPDATE rather than a new install BTW). Cheers jimbo 2145
  10. Installation woes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installation woes: Have this on 3 different machines of different configs and I am now trying to get it on a shuttle XPC to test with xbmc but not having no luck just keep getting same error. seems really slow to get as far as it does but then falls over. windows cannot install required...