Windows 10: Dual monitor config causing coolers going crazy?

Discus and support Dual monitor config causing coolers going crazy? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I realize Dell's forums would suit better for this particular issue, but they have some login issues, so posting there is not possible... I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by mikolajek, Mar 5, 2018.

1. mikolajek Win User

Dual monitor config causing coolers going crazy?

I realize Dell's forums would suit better for this particular issue, but they have some login issues, so posting there is not possible...

I'm running Dell XPS 9550 with TB16 dock and for the past two years I used it with a single 4K external display only. This Monday I've connected another 4K external display and I've been facing the coolers going crazy and running like helicopters... I've made no other changes to the setup nor installed any new software that would eat my CPU power and generate excessive heat.

Can I assume this happening solely by connecting another external display? I mean, I understand that it means more work for the graphics card, as it needs to generate double pixels compared to the previous set up with a single external display only. But given I just do the office stuff (mail, internet, Excel, etc.) is that really such a big effort for the graphics to serve two screens? Effectively my question is - do I need to get used to the coolers buzz or shall I look for any other reason that doubling my display space?

:)

mikolajek, Mar 5, 2018
  2. MCallum Win User

Latest update to Windows 10 blew config files, anyone have same issue? Resolution?

I did Update and Shutdown last night and today my machine won't come up entirely. I have dual monitors and both are blank and go into Standby mode because they are not registering any activity. All lights are on keyboard/mouse and computer and it sounds
    like it is starting fine, but then nothing. Local tech says .config files are blown. Any resolution to this issue?

MCallum, Mar 5, 2018
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Nvidia drivers suddenly start to crash constantly

"I deactivate the turbo mode of my bios an that solve the problem."

Good to hear. The stock turbo speeds generally don't cause issues. Perhaps your case cooling is not adequate for the turbo clock speeds,

or your case fan dust filters or cpu cooler fins are clogged with dust ?

Stock cpu coolers are not the best for gaming machines either. If your case has room for an after market cooler using one may also help.

The Coolermaster Hyper 212X (X is the latest version of this well regarded cooler model ) is a good budget model single fan cooler.

Real Temp is a good cpu temp monitoring tool that you can use to verify if the cpu is running a bit too hot... Real Temp

Cheers - BD

BossDweeb, Mar 5, 2018
  4. Dual monitor config causing coolers going crazy?

I think this quote from another forum might answer your question pretty well.

slicendice, Mar 5, 2018
  5. mikolajek Win User
    Many thanks, slicendice!

It actually makes me even more worried *Wink, as I've just finally managed to get the 60Hz refresh rate on both screens (the default cables could deliver only 30Hz). That suggests that the noise level may even increase! *Mad

Hopefully I can somehow eliminate it, if not directly, then maybe killing some unnecessary processes, I previously didn't care of, will make the CPU/GPU less loaded.

mikolajek, Mar 5, 2018
  6. You are very welcome. Cooling and noise issues are very common on laptops, especially on super thin one's like your Dell.

slicendice, Mar 5, 2018
  7. PolarNettles, Mar 5, 2018
  8. mikolajek Win User

I've installed GPU-Z and monitored it for a couple of hours, both with one and two displays attached, paying special attention to the GPU temperature and load. Obviously, there were certain differences, but overall GPU load didn't exceed 10% with 2 displays enabled (with just 1 it was around 4-6%) and the temperature rarely exceeded 60 degrees both with 1 and 2 displays connected. So it looks to me, it's not the GPU issue, given the overall tiny load of the GPU.

In the meantime I've actually identified a partial culprit - it's Dell SupportAssistant that got updated in the background on the very same day I added another external display. I disabled the related services and coolers slowed down (I eventually removed it completely), but still they work more intensively than they used to... *Confused

mikolajek, Mar 6, 2018
  9. As recommended earlier.

Take separate screenshots of the GPU-Z sensors tab, with 1 and 2 monitors connected. The GPU load doesn't say much without looking at all available data.

If you have 2 GPUs (Intel and nvidia) then we need a total of 4 screenshots.

slicendice, Mar 6, 2018
  10. mikolajek Win User
    Roger that! *Smile

I've made a screenshot for 2 displays first, then waited approx. 5 minutes and took the one for 1 display.
    See below with 2 displays attached:

Dual monitor config causing coolers going crazy? [​IMG]

And with just a single one attached:

I can't see the real difference... 5 minutes should be enough I believe for the fans to cool down the GPU. So maybe it's not this one...

mikolajek, Mar 6, 2018
  11. Don't you also have a dedicated NVidia GPU there? If so, we should take a look at same data for that one too. Maybe the card is running at full speed even though not in use...

On my ancient laptop, Intel GPU is running at full speeds, while the NVidia GPU is running at very low voltages and frequencies, until I actually run an application that uses the dedicated GPU.

slicendice, Mar 6, 2018
  12. mikolajek Win User
    Yes, I do have a secondary card, but it doesn't typically work - see the screenshots. The first presents the state that lasts for 98% of time, and the other the remaining 2%.

mikolajek, Mar 6, 2018
  13. Dual monitor config causing coolers going crazy?

Everything is working as expected. The figures does not explain why the fan want's to go higher, though the system might be running at the fan speed increment threshold with 2 monitors connected, since the temps are running around 50C. The fans should not blow at full speed though.

So, how about processes in Task Manager? Total CPU load should be less than 4% at idle. In best cases almost Zero most of the time. On my slow Ultrabook the load is about 1-2% and every now and then it goes to 0%. Same thing on my ancient Laptop.

Another thing you could take a look at while in Task Manager, are the CPU frequency states. Is the CPU running at 100% and beyond of base frequency all the time?

Then finally check your Power Management settings. If you are running at High Performance profile, then the CPU will most likely run at 100% frequencies and Turbo Boost at even small loads.

If you are surfing the web or typing in Word, you def. do not need a high performance profile activated. *Smile

slicendice, Mar 6, 2018
  14. slicendice, Mar 6, 2018
  15. mikolajek Win User
    Many thanks for this link!I believe the key is here: The fix for the loud CPU fan – especially when a Thunderbolt device is connected – is (...). With a single monitor I did use the USB-C port but I can't recall Thunderbolt being used (at least no icon was present in the tray as it is now). So maybe it's not the card itself - it is / may be Thunderbolt... *Confused

However I do have a private XPS 9360 at home with the same TB16 dock and it works pretty flawlessly...

mikolajek, Mar 6, 2018
Thema:

1. Dual monitor config causing coolers going crazy? - Similar Threads - Dual monitor config

2. BSOD Going crazy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Going crazy: I have done everything I can find on the subject of BSOD multiple errors, random.RAM - OKDrives - OKDrivers - UpdatedChipset - Updated to currentMemory dmp - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjQkdFsggUhD0h6v3uX4mF19jcvs?e=JnSStw includes MTBRunning:AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60...
  3. screen going crazy

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    screen going crazy: first what looks like bubbles appear across the top of my screen, second my mouse disappears, third screen will zoom in and out, random dropdown menus will appear or random windows will open and close, finally I have to power off and back on to regain control....
  4. Fan going crazy . . .

in Windows 10 Support
    Fan going crazy . . .: Hi: My ASUS laptop fan has gone crazy lately. It runs wide open for a half a minute or more then shuts down to an idle, then goes up full blast again after a half a minute or so. It never ramps up or down, it's either idling or wide open. A complete restart doesn't help....
  5. Dual monitor slideshow causing lag

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual monitor slideshow causing lag: Windows stutters for a bit when wallpaper changes. Extremely irritating in games. I have slideshow enabled, which pulls wallpapers from a folder with ~100 wallpapers for both screens. I've searched the internet through and through, but wasn't able to find a fix. Wallpaper...
  6. Mouse is going crazy.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mouse is going crazy.: My doesn't click with certain programs. I can play my game fine, but I can't use my calculator or navigate my settings with it. It highlights what I'm pointing to, but it won't click....
  7. 365 going crazy

in Microsoft Office and 365
    365 going crazy: Recently, I have been unable to access my files without "signing in." When I click on "Sign in" I get a box asking me to insert my phone # or email. I am intermittently unable to type in the space provided. Should I chance to hit it just right, I then get a message that I...
  8. SCVHOST GOING CRAZY

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SCVHOST GOING CRAZY: Please help me, I really hate scvhost it makes my gaming experience become lag it consumes a lot of internet connection and consume more priority than my dota2. some people say its windows update, but ive downloaded all of the update, please help me to permanently kill...
  9. Cursor is going crazy

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cursor is going crazy: My cursor is flying all over the screen and there is a ghost cicle on the edge that is pulsing. When i have shut fown its okay gor a little bit the starts up again...
  10. Dual monitors causes crash

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Dual monitors causes crash: Upgraded my system with 2x Dell U2415Q (run on GTX 970). When I have both moniters turned on and they go to sleep. Windows crashes when I try to wake them up (they are stuck in sleep mode and looking for signal). If I turn of either one of them 10166 (and all builds I...