Windows 10: Dual monitor issue - programs switch screen when monitor turned on

Discus and support Dual monitor issue - programs switch screen when monitor turned on in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Just as the title says, I'm having a slight issue with my dual monitor setup. I regularly need to keep my computer on while not using it, so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Danni111111, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Dual monitor issue - programs switch screen when monitor turned on

Hi,

Just as the title says, I'm having a slight issue with my dual monitor setup. I regularly need to keep my computer on while not using it, so I usually turn both screens off when I do so.

My problem occurs when I return and turn both monitors on. When I turn on screen 2, nothing bad happens, and there is no change in the position of the windows I had open on both screens. However, when turning on screen 1, both screens refresh, and afterwards all windows that were open on screen 1 are now in the same positions on screen 2. I have had this problem since I installed the second screen about half a year ago.

I know this is a minor issue, but the number of times I've had to rearrange the screen is annoying. Is there any solution to this? Might it be something in the Win 10 display settings? Thanks in advance!

I have Win 10 Pro (10.0.10586 Build 10586)

Screen 1: Dell U2715H (miniDisplayPort) (2560x1440)
    Screen 2: Dell U2713HM (Digital) (2560x1440)

Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti

I have the displays set as 'Extend these displays'.

:)

Danni111111, Jul 8, 2016
  2. Deders2 Win User

After monitor upgrade (Displayport), I can't enable sound via HDMI without losing my cursor and taskbar icons.

This has also resolved issues I have been having where the UEFI screen (or any pre windows info) wouldn't show up on the main monitor I was using. I would have to switch a secondary monitor on or unplug the 2nd monitor to see the UEFI.

It has also stopped windows and programs from dissapearing and having to be recovered from a screen that is turned off.

According to some system admins who use an image to set up multiple identical machines with dual monitors, it is completely random as to which of the monitors will be assigned as the first monitor.

Deders2, Jul 8, 2016
  3. Cannot connect to split screen monitor in Windows 10.

Original title: HDMI and Monitor

I wanted to do a dual split screen from my laptop and to a TV monitor. I used a HDMI cord and everything was working perfect this afternoon. All of a sudden. the monitor shows no signal and a blue screen. When I turn my computer on, it will show it starting
    up on both screens. Then when I have to log in, it goes blue. My computer is still set up for the dual screens. How do I fix the issue?

Thanks for your help!

KatelinParmelee, Jul 8, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

Dual monitor issue - programs switch screen when monitor turned on

I'm not sure I can help, I haven't had that problem. I run 3 monitors. I assume you have gone to display properties and arranged the monitors as they are physically located and set one of them as primary display. Make sure each monitor has 'Extend Display to this monitor'. You should do the same in the Nvidia Control Panel. That's really all I had to do with mine.

essenbe, Jul 8, 2016
  5. *Ditto I run 3 monitors. I just turned them all off, one at a time, and turned them back on. Any open Windows stayed where they were before I turned them off.

alphanumeric, Jul 8, 2016
  6. Is your PC going into sleep or hibernate mode?

alphanumeric, Jul 8, 2016
  7. leebotte Win User
    Hi there,

Sorry to bother you - but I noticed you had posted ages ago re an issue someone was having with dual screens.

I have just added an extra screen to my desk - and it seems to work fine - until the PC hibernates. When I press the space bar my 2nd screen comes up fine - but number 1 screen stays blank. I have to turn it off and on - for it to work - sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't??

Whilst I am working on the screens there doesn't seem to be an issue - it is only after hibernating/sleep that there is an issue.

Can you please shed any light on this and how I can fix it Dual monitor issue - programs switch screen when monitor turned on :)

Thank you.

leebotte, Mar 4, 2017
  8. Dual monitor issue - programs switch screen when monitor turned on

Wish I could, but I don't use hibernate or sleep. To many issues like what you posted. It has never worked reliably for me. Try Pressing the Windows LOGO key *Start and the P key. Then select say PC only, then toggle it back to Extend. Turning the monitor on and off might be easier though? I have one monitor that will do that if I forget to turn it off when I turn my PC off. It goes into standby but doesn't come back out when I boot my PC up. I do what you do, turn it off then back on. The power button on it is getting worn and doesn't always work if you don't push hard. Sometimes I don't push it hard enough and it gets left on.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Dual monitor issue - programs switch screen when monitor turned on

1. Dual monitor issue - programs switch screen when monitor turned on - Similar Threads - Dual monitor issue

2. Dual Monitor Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Monitor Issue: On a dual monitor setup, I cannot move my mouse from one screen to another. However, I can partially drag a window to the other screen. Another computer is able to use both monitors without any issue. I tried using DisplayPort and HDMI. I have tried different cables. I have...
  3. Dual Monitor not switching

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual Monitor not switching: I am operating dual monitors on Windows 10. They are extended with one being assigning primary and the other secondary. At times, my primary monitor has gone out a different issue that I am working to fix, but might be connected; I am not sure. When this happens, my secondary...
  4. Dual monitor issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual monitor issue: I just upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 - all went relatively well. While messing around with the display settings I set one of the screens to 3d mode.. and it has been hell since. I cannot get both screens to work now. I can either have 1 monitor (one I didn't set to 3d) or,...
  5. Dual Monitor Issues

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual Monitor Issues: Hi! I Was recently trying to switch the monitors left one to be the right and right one to be the left and I managed to do that from the settings. However, during this process, a third one appeared for some reason; I only have two monitors connected. I finished up my work for...
  6. My screen is switching without a dual monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My screen is switching without a dual monitor: For some reason, my single monitor switches screens constantly. I don't even have dual monitor on. It always makes another screen from the right come in, so I can never go back and play something, or d o what I was doing. The sounds still appear in the background, and I have...
  7. dual monitors issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    dual monitors issue: when i unplug my second monitor my first one goes to sleep and wont turn back on but when i plug back in my second monitor it wakes up my first one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-monitors-issue/4d821d7a-5067-43e4-8fc8-b2b6ea22e91b
  8. Dual Monitor issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual Monitor issue: There are two monitors (both are Dell U2717D), one is connected to onboard HDMI and another one is connected to onboard DP. I would like to let Windows set both of them are extended displayed even the 2nd monitor (DP) is off. Currently if I turn on both monitors, Windows...
  9. Dual monitor issue

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Dual monitor issue: Hi Guys, My computer just had the most recent update and its caused me a problem with my 2nd monitor. My main monitor is connected via HDMI and my 2nd is via DVI cable both to my graphics card. Since the update the screen still displays in its native 1920 x 1080 but the...
  10. Dual Monitor issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual Monitor issue: I had Windows 7 with dual monitors. I never had any issue with them. I had bought a video card to make the 2nd monitor work. I recently upgraded to WIndows 10. Dual monitors still work, But if i move anything to teh second monitor, everything is much smaller. Excel sheets are...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dual screen continue to switch screen issue

2. programs change screens when monitors turned off