Windows 10: Dual monitors error message "Didn't detect another display"

Discus and support Dual monitors error message "Didn't detect another display" in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Both of my monitors are working fine, but it is just the same picture being duplicated. The point of this setup is obviously to get an extended picture... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Inept, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Inept Win User

Dual monitors error message "Didn't detect another display"

Both of my monitors are working fine, but it is just the same picture being duplicated. The point of this setup is obviously to get an extended picture rather than having two monitors showing the same thing. The problem is, when I go to display settings, only one monitor is detected (which is not even technically true since both are lit up).

The computer is an HP Pavilion 550-152I, and the monitors are running off of HDMI cables (the computer has two HDMI outputs).

I have checked the display settings both by right clicking on the desktop and by going through the Control Panel, but neither is detecting a second monitor.
    I have tried updating display adapter drivers via the device manager, but it made no difference.

Any suggestions?

:)

Inept, Jul 3, 2016

2. Issues Connecting to Older Monitor

I was given an older monitor from my dad to pair with my laptop to help make my workflow go smoother while I work at my desk from home. The monitor is a ViewSonic VE710s with a VGA cord. My laptop is a 2014 Dell Latitude E6440 and I'm running Windows 10
    Pro 64 bit. I'm not getting a "No Signal" message on the monitor when I plug the VGA cord into my laptop but I'm not able to see my display on the monitor, even when switching between "Duplicate Display" and "Extend Display" on Settings on my laptop. I've
    tried updating, unistalling/reinstalling, and rolling back my display driver. When I try to detect the monitor, it says "Didn't detect another display". I've tried searching for a driver for the monitor but no such luck. Could it just be that the monitor is
    too old to be able to be used with my laptop? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

TLamberton, Jul 3, 2016
  3. Bill0102 Win User
    Adding second monitor to Windows 10 desk top. Will not detect second monitor

Trying to add a second monitor to a Lenovo desktop. After clicking on display settings, under multiple displays it says " Didnt detect another display ". second monitor is connected and powered up. I chose " detect " But nothing happens

Bill0102, Jul 3, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello and welcome to the TenForums *Smile

Have you tried the Windows Key + P to access the dual monitor setup? You might be setup as duplicate rather than extend.

philc43, Jul 3, 2016
  5. Open the AMD Catalyst or NVidia control panel and see what it shows. Although, looking at your posted system specs, it shows, Microsoft Basic Display Adapter 1995 MB << If true, that's your issue. You need to install the manufacturers drivers for your video card. Either from HP or AMD or NVidia, depending on what make model your video card is.

alphanumeric, Jul 3, 2016
  6. Inept Win User
    When I go to Device Manager, I see two display adapters: AMD Radeon R5 330 and Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. According to the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, the latter is the one being used. I don't understand how or even if it is possible to switch to the AMD adapter. In Device Manager, when right-clicking on it and selecting "Update driver software..." I get a message saying "The best driver software for your device is already installed." Might this not be correct?

Inept, Jul 3, 2016
  7. Inept Win User
    Thanks, when doing this I get a message saying "Your PC can't project to another screen. Try re-installing the driver or using a different video card."

Inept, Jul 3, 2016
  8. Dual monitors error message "Didn't detect another display"

How was Windows 10 installed? Clean install, upgrade install, factory install? It sounds like your PC has dual graphics? If one monitor is connected to the motherboard onboard video connector, and the other to a dedicated add in card, you may have to connect both monitors to the add in card for extend to work. If they are both on the add-in card, a driver update is likely needed. Go to the HP support page for you make model and download the latest Windows 10 graphics driver from there, and install it.

9. Inept Win User
    Thanks, I will try the HP support. I did a clean install of Windows myself. How do I find out of both are add-in cards?

Inept, Jul 3, 2016
  10. Add in GPU boards are mounted in a motherboard slot, likely PCIe. An integrated GPU is mounted directly to the motherboard. The motherboard video connectors will be handy to the motherboard USB, network, and audio connectors.

11. Inept Win User
    By the way, how would I connect both monitors to the add-in card, assuming that is what is required?

Inept, Jul 3, 2016
  12. Some motherboards have hybrid Crossfire, which will let you run both at the same time. You won't know if yours supports it until you install the correct drivers. If it doesn't, you move the video cable from the motherboard connector to a free one on the dedicated video card. Depending on what connectors are there, you nay have to switch cables or use an adapter. My GT 640 has two DVI and one HDMI. My 3 monitors are all DVI so I use a HDMI to DVI adapter on one monitor.

13. Inept Win User

My computer only has HDMI outputs - no DVI or VGA:s. I don't suppose using an adapter would make much of a difference in this case.

Inept, Jul 3, 2016
  14. Are there two separate groups of video connectors n the back? It may not have a built in GPU, not all motherboards have them. Two display adapters listed in Device manager implies it does though?

15. Inept Win User
    The only video connectors are the HDMI outputs, which are spaced about a quarter inch vertically, so not sure if you would consider this two separate groups?

Inept, Jul 3, 2016
Thema:

1. Dual monitors error message "Didn't detect another display" - Similar Threads - Dual monitors error

2. Dual monitor not detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual monitor not detected: So I am trying to get my second monitor to work, I have tried the cables so that isn't the option. I know the monitor is connected as it keeps going to sleep, but my PC keeps not detecting the monitor or saying it's a device connected in Device Manager...
  3. Dual monitor not detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual monitor not detected: So I am trying to get my second monitor to work, I have tried the cables so that isn't the option. I know the monitor is connected as it keeps going to sleep, but my PC keeps not detecting the monitor or saying it's a device connected in Device Manager...
  4. Dual monitor not detected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Dual Monitor Display

Dual Monitor Display: I just recently got a PC and 2 monitors for my office. I have the PC and one monitor hooked together because there was only one HDMI plug. I ordered a dual HDMI splitter so that I could connect too both screens at the same time. However, I want the screens to be connected...
  6. Didn't Detect another Display Setting

Didn't Detect another Display Setting: HP Envy x360 convertible. I keep getting an error called Didn't detect another Display setting when the laptop and monitor are hooked through a brand new HDMI cord with Brand New monitor. The Display Adapter has been updated. Windows has been updated. Noting seems to...
  7. Monitor Error "Didn't detect another display"

Monitor Error "Didn't detect another display": Hi I plugged in a second monitor but in the display settings it says "Didn t detect another display, though I m actually watching my laptop screen in the second monitor [Original Title: Monitor Detection]...
  8. Display Issue with error message: no signal detected on Secondary monitor, Dual monitor set...

Display Issue with error message: no signal detected on Secondary monitor, Dual monitor set...: As the title says, I'm having an issue where the second monitor in my set-up won't display in Windows. Configuration: Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth A170 Mark 1 CPU: Intel i5-6600K GPU: ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX590 running Radeon Adrenalin 19.2.2 Monitor 1:...
  9. didn't detect another display windows 10

didn't detect another display windows 10: didn't detect another display windows 10[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/didnt-detect-another-display-windows-10/02420d3e-da42-450c-9297-a33062ca329f
  10. didn't detect another display windows 10

didn't detect another display windows 10: Tried reinstalling drivers (including removing the driver from device manager), but the issue persists. Second monitor (TV) keeps saying "No signal". Worked first time I reinstalled but after about 20 minutes screen went black and won't come on (No signal message again). Any...