Windows 10: Dual Monitors, unplug and plug back in, icons shift to 2nd monitor

Discus and support Dual Monitors, unplug and plug back in, icons shift to 2nd monitor in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I am having a rather large issue with Windows 10. For some reason when I plug in my HDMI for my 2nd monitor all of the icons and the taskbar... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Frubbs, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Frubbs Win User

Dual Monitors, unplug and plug back in, icons shift to 2nd monitor

I am having a rather large issue with Windows 10. For some reason when I plug in my HDMI for my 2nd monitor all of the icons and the taskbar immediately shift to that monitor. This is because I have it set as the "primary" monitor, but I want the taskbar and icons to stay where they were originally on my laptop screen even when I plug in the secondary monitor, can anyone offer any advice on how to fix this issue?

:)

Frubbs, Aug 28, 2015
  2. Deders2 Win User

After monitor upgrade (Displayport), I can't enable sound via HDMI without losing my cursor and taskbar icons.

I have recently upgraded my monitor.

My old working setup was GTX 1080 to Dell u2917w via Dual DVI,

A sony receiver via HDMI (from same GPU) for 5.1 sound, which also appears as a 2nd monitor as far as windows is concerned. I have attached (and switched off) a small monitor to the reciever in case I ever need it, but the HDMI output is disabled on my receiver
    so it gets no signal. If I enable HDMI out, The receiver says no stream. Possibly because of ARC? But now this happens even if I unplug the HDMI out lead.

My new monitor is the Asus pg348q, it needs to be plugged in via displayport for Gsync to work. When I had both monitors and the reciever plugged in, everything worked fine. Now I have unplugged the Dell, I have no cursor or taskbar icons on the Asus, even
    though it is set to be the main monitor.

The start button and cortina icon are still there (minus the help box) along with the other large icons that I have pinned on the right hand side.

If I press the windows key, the start menu does not appear. If I Ctrl-Alt-Del, I just get a black screen.

In order to get the icons and cursor back, I need to enable the HDMI output on my receiver, but this disables the sound.

I have set my Reciever's pass through to auto, but I still have the problem if I turn the 2nd monitor off. It really needs to be off.

If I unplug the reciever's HDMI completely from my GPU, everything works fine. As soon as I plug it back in, the icons and cursor dissapear

The only real change as far as windows can see is the display being plugged in via Displayport intead of DVI-D.

Edit: Plugging my old monitor back in resolves this, but that monitor needs to go downstairs.

Deders2, Aug 28, 2015
  3. Dual monitors now working correctly

When i plug in up my 2nd monitor the 1st monitor turns on and off, I am unable to do anything to get it stop I must unplug 2nd monitor. 1st monitor is connected with VGA 2nd monitor is connected with DVI worked great until I went to windows 10. Please
    help

MC-CKCogar, Aug 28, 2015
Thema:

Dual Monitors, unplug and plug back in, icons shift to 2nd monitor

1. Dual Monitors, unplug and plug back in, icons shift to 2nd monitor - Similar Threads - Dual Monitors unplug

2. Main monitor goes black when plugging in 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Main monitor goes black when plugging in 2nd monitor: Hello to whoever's reading thisI have a second screen that I use for both my desktop and my gaming console via an HDMI switch, but whenever I switch between the gaming console both from and to the desktop the main screen I use that is connected through DisplayPort turns black...
  3. Main monitor goes black when plugging in 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Main monitor goes black when plugging in 2nd monitor: Hello to whoever's reading thisI have a second screen that I use for both my desktop and my gaming console via an HDMI switch, but whenever I switch between the gaming console both from and to the desktop the main screen I use that is connected through DisplayPort turns black...
  4. Main monitor goes black when plugging in 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. dual monitor icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    dual monitor icons: I have been using a dual monitor set up for some time now. I did a restart after a windows update and now all the icons except two are shown only on one monitor. Before all the icons showed on both monitors. I can still click on and they open on the main monitor which is now...
  6. 2nd Monitor

2nd Monitor: [ATTACH] I’m running Window 10. I have just connected a 2nd monitor. My default monitor is Eizo CS2420 resolution and needs to remain 1900x1200. My 2nd monitor Dell U2412M is duplicating my default monitor however, the screen and icons are far too big and need to change the...
  7. Icons move from 2nd monitor to main after reboot of dual monitors in extended mode

Icons move from 2nd monitor to main after reboot of dual monitors in extended mode: I have dual monitors set up in extended mode. I like to keep Skype for Business and Sticky Notes open on my second monitor while keeping most of my shortcuts on my main monitor. However, when I start up each day, all the Sticky Notes have moved to my main menu. This started...
  8. Dual monitor issue - 2nd monitor "out of range"

Dual monitor issue - 2nd monitor "out of range": I’m trying to do a dual monitor setup for my PC using a 4K TV and a 720p monitor (at least I think it’s a 720p). The Operating System is Windows 10 Pro. The graphics card being used is an Asus Nvidia GT 710 2Gb (bought just days ago). The connection for the main monitor...
  9. Moving Icons on Dual Monitors

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Icons on Dual Monitors: On my dual monitor system there are shortcut icons that will move themselves to the 2nd monitor (HDMI connection). I don't use the 2nd full time so I would like them to stay on the 1st. To move them back I have to turn on the other monitor and drag them back. If I unplug the...
  10. Laptop not recognizing 2nd monitor being unplugged

Laptop not recognizing 2nd monitor being unplugged: Hello, I Have a MSI laptop with a GTX 1060 and an Intel i7 7700HQ, and a HP w2338h monitor. I have it connected to a GANA hdmi splitter, and as of recently having problems. When I switch what port I'm using on the splitter (port one is the laptop, port 2 is my switch), the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. multiple monitors keep losing connection have to unplug cable and plug back in