Windows 10: dual OS switching

Discus and support dual OS switching in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have windows 10 on my HP pavilion dv6 as the main OS and I have a bootable portable hard drive running Ubuntu, I am trying to find a way to be able... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by bullmrkt23, Sep 25, 2015.

1. dual OS switching

I have windows 10 on my HP pavilion dv6 as the main OS and I have a bootable portable hard drive running Ubuntu, I am trying to find a way to be able to swap between the programs without having to restart and change the OS each time I want to use them. Essentially I want both systems to run at the same time and be able to toggle between them as I need can anyone help with this? I greatly appreciate any advice.

:)

bullmrkt23, Sep 25, 2015
  2. vnt2---01 Win User

N82 dual sim?

two things for dual sims working:

- adapter to keep two sims at the same time

- software interface to OS (S60 in this case).

Software got two types:

1) to switch between the two sims so only one can standby at a time.

2) software for dual standby

I've not tried as i don't have N82 nor dual sims adapter

Alot of China phone has this dual sims features + OS to support.

E-ten (one of the latest models) supports this (windows mobile)

vnt2---01, Sep 25, 2015
  3. Dual OS

how can i install windows 10 and windows server 2008 r2 on different partition on hard disk

OgunjobiOlukayode, Sep 25, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

dual OS switching

Only way I know is to use one of them in a virtual machine on the other one as a host.

CountMike, Sep 25, 2015
  5. Mike's correct use a VM. At one time you could intall Ubuntu within Windows via wubi.exe but it's not recommended, caused too many problems.

Torquemada, Sep 25, 2015
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    Using a virtual machine is the only way.

By it's very nature an operating system will take exclusive control of the hardware on which it is running. It will not share this or even recognize the concept that there might be another.

LMiller7, Sep 25, 2015
  7. Fafhrd Win User
    Unless you use a third OS as host and run both Ubuntu and Windows 10 as virtual machines simultaneously.

Fafhrd, Sep 25, 2015
  8. dual OS switching

WUBI (Windows Ubuntu Installer) only INSTALLED Ubuntu from inside Windows -- and it did this by creating a single file that functioned as a Linux filesystem. But it did not RUN inside Windows; instead, it ran by itself. So, you still could not toggle back and forth the way the OP wants to do.

And, WUBI support was discontinued back in the Ubuntu 12.x days.

Mark Phelps, Sep 25, 2015
  9. NokiLoki Win User
    Install a program for virtualization in Windows and run your Linux as a virtual machine. You can use Hyper-V or VMware Player (free for personal use).

NokiLoki, Oct 4, 2015
  10. A house cannot rest on two foundations. You must virtualize one of the systems.

Cbarnhorst, Oct 4, 2015
  11. Berton Win User
    Or do as I have set up, use a KVM/Keyboard Video Mouse switch and 2 to 4 computers. I have Win7, Win10, Linux and a second Win10 connected, pressing a switch on the KVM lets me choose which computer to do whatever with.

Berton, Oct 5, 2015
  12. CountMike New Member
    Yes, another good example. Can also make network between two or more computers and share data like that.

CountMike, Oct 5, 2015
  13. 10userNYC Win User

dual OS switching

Out of curiosity why would you do that vs. virtualize? Do you need the OS'es on bare metal for speed/performance?

+1 for running Ubuntu inside Hyper-V

10userNYC, Oct 6, 2015
  14. Antilope Win User
    I had an old Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop laying around and tried an interesting experiment. I installed 10 Linux distros and made it multi-boot. All of the Linux distros were bootable separately using Linux Grub boot manager. Cool experiment.

I partitioned the 320gb hard disk with Linux Gparted into 15 partitions. 3 Primary partitions, 1 Extended partition and 11 Logical partitions. Each Linux distro was on its own partition, but they all shared the same swap space partition. Apparently you can partition a MBR hard disk into 15 to 60 partitions, depending on operating system and partitioning software. I've tried 15 and that works fine.

I used 2x physical ram as swap space for the swap partition (8.192gb). Most Linux distros take about 5gb of disk space installed. Windows 10 takes about 13 to 15gb of disk space, installed. I gave the Linux distros 20gb for each partition.

It's a great way to compare the various Linux distros. After testing a bunch, I prefer Linux Mint and a Linux based Chromebook clone called Chromixium. So on a new laptop I have Windows 10, Linux Mint and Chromixium installed as triple boot.

When running Linux, all of the files on the Windows partition are visible and accessible.

I would rather dual boot instead of running a virtual machine. Virtual machines seem to have hesitation and not be as fast as dual booting, at least for me.

Antilope, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

dual OS switching

1. dual OS switching - Similar Threads - dual switching

2. How do I fix windows 11 and Linux ubunto dual crashing on laptop when switching the device on?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I fix windows 11 and Linux ubunto dual crashing on laptop when switching the device on?: I used to use just windows 11 and then switched to linux ubunto when windows 11 crashed and now linux ubunto has crashed too and both operating systems just go to the cad and don’t boot correctly.Might be a primary storage issueHow do I manually fix the linux system crash and...
  3. How do I fix windows 11 and Linux ubunto dual crashing on laptop when switching the device on?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I fix windows 11 and Linux ubunto dual crashing on laptop when switching the device on?: I used to use just windows 11 and then switched to linux ubunto when windows 11 crashed and now linux ubunto has crashed too and both operating systems just go to the cad and don’t boot correctly.Might be a primary storage issueHow do I manually fix the linux system crash and...
  4. I USED TO HAVE WINDOWS 11 ON MY LAPTOP BUT SWITCHED TO UBUNTU NOT DUAL BOOT COMPLETE SWITCH...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I USED TO HAVE WINDOWS 11 ON MY LAPTOP BUT SWITCHED TO UBUNTU NOT DUAL BOOT COMPLETE SWITCH...: I'd prefer to not spend money https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-used-to-have-windows-11-on-my-laptop-but/b8c350a0-3bd9-43ba-abd6-b2ca870c9dee
  5. I USED TO HAVE WINDOWS 11 ON MY LAPTOP BUT SWITCHED TO UBUNTU NOT DUAL BOOT COMPLETE SWITCH...

I USED TO HAVE WINDOWS 11 ON MY LAPTOP BUT SWITCHED TO UBUNTU NOT DUAL BOOT COMPLETE SWITCH...: I'd prefer to not spend money https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-used-to-have-windows-11-on-my-laptop-but/b8c350a0-3bd9-43ba-abd6-b2ca870c9dee
  6. Screen freeze after switching from dual monitor to single monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen freeze after switching from dual monitor to single monitor: I have been having screen freeze issues when switching from dual monitor to single monitor to use my capture card. It seems that whenever I go from dual screen to single screen, the primary monitor will sometimes freeze. I can move my mouse but nothing is clickable. I have...
  7. Screen freeze after switching from dual monitor to single monitor

Screen freeze after switching from dual monitor to single monitor: I have been having screen freeze issues when switching from dual monitor to single monitor to use my capture card. It seems that whenever I go from dual screen to single screen, the primary monitor will sometimes freeze. I can move my mouse but nothing is clickable. I have...
  8. Screen freeze after switching from dual monitor to single monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Using Dual Monitors through Remote Desktop while the screens are switched "off"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Using Dual Monitors through Remote Desktop while the screens are switched "off": I am trying to use a new window's 10 computer to work remotely with dual monitors. On other computers, I am able to turn off the both screens physically, pressing the power buttons on the screens and be able to remote into the computer and work with dual monitor...
  10. Dual Monitor not switching

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual Monitor not switching: I am operating dual monitors on Windows 10. They are extended with one being assigning primary and the other secondary. At times, my primary monitor has gone out a different issue that I am working to fix, but might be connected; I am not sure. When this happens, my secondary...