Windows 10: Dual OS with one EFI

Discus and support Dual OS with one EFI in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have two operating system running, windows 10 pro and home. I have the windows 10 pro on ssd and windows 10 home on hdd. The problem is that the EFI... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Patricknitz, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Dual OS with one EFI

I have two operating system running, windows 10 pro and home. I have the windows 10 pro on ssd and windows 10 home on hdd. The problem is that the EFI is on the hhd. I clonned the windows 10 home from ssd to hdd. Then installed the windows 10 pro on ssd. How can i move the efi from hhd to ssd? In the picture, Disk 1 is SSD and Disk 2 is HDD

:)

Patricknitz, Mar 4, 2017

2. Issue while Booting my Laptop.

My Laptop has dual Boot System, One is Windows 10 and Linux. After Windows 10 Update. I am Unable to See Linux Os System while boot up.

Made some Research of Issue and Found a solution, Go to command prompt Log as Administrator type this Command

"bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi" it worked for me first time second time i tried do it but its not showing the Os.

sahaskarkera, Mar 4, 2017
  3. marks1964 Win User
    Fixing broken Windows 7 boot in Windows 10 system

Hi,

The reason you are having problems is because you cannot dual-boot on a EFI / GPT system.

The system must be a LEGACY BIOS / MBR system as the EFI / GPT system has extra security to prevent the second OS being setup and used.

How I know is because I tried to do it too.

I hope that this helps you get your PC up and running as a dual-boot.

Kind regards,

Mark

marks1964, Mar 4, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Dual OS with one EFI

Use MiniTool Partition Wizard to delete the 16MB MSR partition in front of D: drive in your screenshot (Disk 1). Use the resize partition option to move the front of the D: drive partition over so you get about 500 mb of free, unallocated space at the beginning of disk 1. Then pick up at step 2 here:
    Fixing Windows 8.1 Boot by Create EFI System Partition Manually | Min's Blog

Before starting at step 2 above the user entered diskpart and selected disk 0. (In diskpart, drives start at 0, not at 1. You can use the list disk command in diskpart to see the drives.)

Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

NavyLCDR, Mar 4, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    UPDATE

Just for you, I deleted my EFI system partition and recreated it Dual OS with one EFI :). Here's where I started from:

Dual OS with one EFI [​IMG]

I've got 120 MB unallocated space at the front of my SSD. C: drive is Windows 10 Pro. E: drive is Windows 10 Home.

I ran the following commands:
    NOTE: Make sure in the disk part commands you are selecting the correct disks and partitions! Don't just go by my numbers. Especially when you are selecting the new system partition before assigning the drive letter - it might not be partition 3 on your system.

Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393] (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. x:\Windows\system32>diskpart Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.14393.0 Copyright (C) 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation. On computer: MININT-PEDG16 DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 447 GB 123 MB * Disk 1 Online 931 GB 2048 KB * Disk 2 No Media 0 B 0 B DISKPART> select disk 0 Disk 0 is now the selected disk. DISKPART> create part efi size=100 DiskPart succeeded in creating the specified partition. DISKPART> format quick fs=fat32 label="System" 100 percent completed DiskPart successfully formatted the volume. DISKPART> create part msr size=16 DiskPart succeeded in creating the specified partition. DISKPART> list part Partition ### Type Size Offset ------------- ---------------- ------- ------- Partition 3 System 100 MB 1024 KB * Partition 4 Reserved 16 MB 101 MB Partition 1 Primary 446 GB 120 MB Partition 2 Recovery 450 MB 446 GB DISKPART> select part 3 Partition 3 is now the selected partition. DISKPART> assign letter=T DiskPart successfully assigned the drive letter or mount point. DISKPART> exit Leaving DiskPart... x:\Windows\system32>bootrec /fixboot The operation completed successfully. x:\Windows\system32>bcdboot c:\Windows /s T: /f ALL Boot files successfully created. x:\Windows\system32>bcdboot e:\Windows /addlast Boot files successfully created. x:\Windows\system32>[/quote] I ended up with this layout:

Dual OS with one EFI [​IMG]

Note, my MSR is only 16mb in size because of my small SSD.

Rebooted the computer into UEFI setup, reset the boot order to boot from the new EFI partition (Windows Boot Manager in UEFI).

I like to use EasyBCD to set up my boot menu the way I like:
    EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

NavyLCDR, Mar 4, 2017
  6. Thank you. *Smile But how about if i want to create an EFI for my windows pro?

Patricknitz, Mar 8, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    You use the same procedure. Paying attention to the note I included:
    NOTE: Make sure in the disk part commands you are selecting the correct disks and partitions! Don't just go by my numbers.

NavyLCDR, Mar 8, 2017
  8. Dual OS with one EFI

Question: Why are you running Windows 10 Pro and Home? Windows Pro is Windows Home with a couple of added features like Bitlocker encryption, networking tools and remote desktop capability.

orlbuckeye, Mar 9, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    When I assist others, I like to have the version of Windows that they might be using to be sure I am not telling them to do something not available on their version. I also have a hard drive with Windows 7 Home and Pro installed.

NavyLCDR, Mar 9, 2017
  10. But how did you do this part?
    x:\Windows\system32>bootrec /fixboot
    The operation completed successfully.

x:\Windows\system32>bcdboot c:\Windows /s T: /f ALL
    Boot files successfully created.

x:\Windows\system32>bcdboot e:\Windows /addlast
    Boot files successfully created.

x:\Windows\system32>

Patricknitz, Mar 11, 2017
  11. I am newbie. did you start the command at boot? Can i remove the hdd before the operation? Thank you for helping, gladly appreciated.

Patricknitz, Mar 11, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can do it with both drives installed. Use your EASEUS Partition Master program to delete the 16MB "other" partition at the front of Disk 1, the SSD. Then move the beginning of the Windows (C: drive) partition to the right a little bit so that you end up with about 120MB empty space at the front of the drive. Once you get the 120MB empty space at the front of the drive, then you can press Win+X keys to open a command list and select Command Prompt (Admin). In the Command Prompt (Admin) window is where you enter the rest of the commands listed.

NavyLCDR, Mar 11, 2017
  13. Dual OS with one EFI

What should I do if i get this message?
    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586](c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\Windows\system32>bootrec /fixboot

'bootrec' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.

C:\Windows\system32>

Patricknitz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Dual OS with one EFI

1. Dual OS with one EFI - Similar Threads - Dual EFI

2. Dual boot Windows/Fedora 39. Missing EFI/Microsoft/boot directory to boot Windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot Windows/Fedora 39. Missing EFI/Microsoft/boot directory to boot Windows.: Hello ! This morning, I switched from Fedora 32 to Fedora 39. I have a dual boot Fedora / Windows. But since I installed Fedora 39, I can't choose to boot Fedora or Windows, it always launch Fedora 39. I tried to press F9 when the computer is starting, but I can't see any...
  3. Dual boot Windows/Fedora 39. Missing EFI/Microsoft/boot directory to boot Windows.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual boot Windows/Fedora 39. Missing EFI/Microsoft/boot directory to boot Windows.: Hello ! This morning, I switched from Fedora 32 to Fedora 39. I have a dual boot Fedora / Windows. But since I installed Fedora 39, I can't choose to boot Fedora or Windows, it always launch Fedora 39. I tried to press F9 when the computer is starting, but I can't see any...
  4. Dual boot Windows/Fedora 39. Missing EFI/Microsoft/boot directory to boot Windows.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Can I "clean install" windows 11 wiping all partitions except the EFI one because I'm dual...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I "clean install" windows 11 wiping all partitions except the EFI one because I'm dual...: I have two windows 11 Home UEFI installations on two separate drives, each windows was clean installed with the other drive disconnected, so I have an EFI partition on each drive and I simply choose which one to load by pressing f12 on boot.Each drive has the usual partition...
  6. Can I "clean install" windows 11 wiping all partitions except the EFI one because I'm dual...

Can I "clean install" windows 11 wiping all partitions except the EFI one because I'm dual...: I have two windows 11 Home UEFI installations on two separate drives, each windows was clean installed with the other drive disconnected, so I have an EFI partition on each drive and I simply choose which one to load by pressing f12 on boot.Each drive has the usual partition...
  7. Accidentally formatted EFI partition. Windows can't find disks in DISKPART, running dual...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidentally formatted EFI partition. Windows can't find disks in DISKPART, running dual...: Hey everyone! I accidentally formatted my EFI partition and I need help restoring the windows boot manager. I'm currently dual booting arch & windows using systemd-boot I've followed this guide...
  8. Accidentally formatted EFI partition. Windows can't find disks in DISKPART, running dual...

Accidentally formatted EFI partition. Windows can't find disks in DISKPART, running dual...: Hey everyone! I accidentally formatted my EFI partition and I need help restoring the windows boot manager. I'm currently dual booting arch & windows using systemd-boot I've followed this guide...
  9. dual EFI entries after GPT conversion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dual EFI entries after GPT conversion: For reasons too lengthy to detail here, I was unable to use MBR2GPT for converting my current boot disk. Instead, I used Hasleo Disk Clone to clone the disk to another SSD while also converting it to GPT. This worked fine and the new drive correctly shows up as GPT with the...
  10. dual EFI entries after GPT conversion

dual EFI entries after GPT conversion: For reasons too lengthy to detail here, I was unable to use MBR2GPT for converting my current boot disk. Instead, I used Hasleo Disk Clone to clone the disk to another SSD while also converting it to GPT. This worked fine and the new drive correctly shows up as GPT with the...