Windows 10: Dual screens (cant drag windows)

Discus and support Dual screens (cant drag windows) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a secondary screen set up for movies or whatever while I play games and other things, there is a problem with dragging any program screen over... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by darkf0xx, Aug 6, 2015.

1. darkf0xx Win User

Dual screens (cant drag windows)

I have a secondary screen set up for movies or whatever while I play games and other things, there is a problem with dragging any program screen over to the secondary screen. For some reason when I try to drag it over it will just get stuck on the side of the screen and go half or quarter screen rather than breaking through to the other side. Is there a way for me to make it so I can still half and quarter screen but if I keep on pushing it, it will go on through to the second screen? or just make it so I can bring it to the second screen without the snapping?

:)

darkf0xx, Aug 6, 2015
  2. RadjeshS Win User

Dual screen setup - Second screen freezing up. (Windows 10)

To add to the topic, there are no event logs of this. Also while u can drag the mouse to the frozen second screen u cant drag windows to it..

RadjeshS, Aug 6, 2015
  3. B03S Win User
    Microsoft Edge - Dragging New Tab to a Second Screen

I have the same issue on my dual and triple monitor setups.

When dragging a Edge tab to a new monitor it opens on the original screen instead of the one I dragged the tab to.

B03S, Aug 6, 2015
  4. swarfega Win User

Do you have the two monitors plugged into your graphics card? Perhaps they're plugged in the wrong order, try switching them.

swarfega, Aug 6, 2015
  5. darkf0xx Win User
    that wouldnt prevent me from dragging the window over.

darkf0xx, Aug 6, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    If they were in the wrong order, then it would, because you would have to drag them off to the other side.

Mystere, Aug 6, 2015
  7. darkf0xx Win User
    I'll rephrase, I can move my mouse over to it and right click or whatever I just cant drag a program window from one window to the next, it just tries to stick it to the side and make it into a 1/4 or 1/2 screen.

darkf0xx, Aug 6, 2015
  8. Jeff MSFT Win User

My first guess also was that your monitors were arranged in the wrong order, as snapping between two monitors is actually more difficult than dragging it. I suggest logging a Windows Feedback item (open Start and start typing "Windows Feedback" until you see the app). I would check your display settings to make sure they look right (right-click on your desktop and select "Display settings"). Make sure the monitors are aligned and ordered correctly.

In the meantime, you can also work around this by using the keyboard to position the windows. While holding down the Windows key on your keyboard, use the arrow keys to snap the focused window to various regions of either monitor.

Hope that helps!

Jeff MSFT, Aug 6, 2015
  9. bbinnard Win User
    I have 2 monitors and they work OK. I can drag application windows from one to the other, or overlap a windows between monitors. It all works the way it is supposed to.

When I first installed Win10 it came up with the screens reversed: the left screen was on the right and the right screen was on the left. This is confusing for sure. To fix this I right-clicked on an open space and selected Display Settings. That screen showed me which monitor Windows thought was #1, and which was #2. After that, clicking on Advanced Settings brought up a screen where I could arrange the 2 monitors correctly. Hitting Apply saved these settings and I was good to go.

bbinnard, Aug 6, 2015
  10. I can't believe I signed up for a forum to back a guy named darkf0xx.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Anyway—
    I'm suffering from this 'feature' as well. I can safely say that the symptom is 100% intended by Microsoft, but it heavily favors single-monitor users. I don't know the name of this feature of I would Google a way to kill it in the registry, but here's what it does:
    If you grab a not-full-screen window and attempt to drag it across the threshold of your monitors, the cursor will hit a 'wall.' If you release the window, it will pop to a half-screen view as if you were dragging it to the far-left or far-right side of a single screen.

Ideally, this can be disabled only for the sides of the screens that 'touch' one another. Honestly, I'm not expecting that much. Really, I just wanted OP to know he's not crazy and these other posters didn't really think about what was being described.

Oh wait!
    Actually, my monitors were just upside down.
    And backwards.
    Nevermind.
    (Seriously? You thought it was that easy?)

Fourhundred57, Aug 10, 2015
  11. Drekxhin Win User
    They made it so that if you move slowly, it will stick to a screen, but when you move the window faster it will go to the other screen, unless you have a weird issue, but that's how it's supposed to work i believe.

Drekxhin, Aug 10, 2015
  12. sebwin10 Win User
    It's a feature called Snap that you can turn off. Right-click on your desktop, go to Display Settings > Multitasking > Snap. Slide that bad puppy to OFF.

sebwin10, Aug 12, 2015
  13. pooley182 Win User

Just registered to say that I'm experiencing the same issues as described by darkf0xx and FourHundred57. It doesn't matter how fast I move the cursor towards the edge of the screens where my monitor's touch they always get stuck. I have to drop them slightly before and then pick them up from the other monitor to move them. I don't want to disable snap as I do use it's functionality. But for a small number of users it does seem to be exhibiting some strange behaviour. I've spoken with a few guys I work with and none of them are having the same issue.

pooley182, Aug 16, 2015
  14. Impgrin Win User
    Awesome response Drexhin, kinda obtuse MS didn't make this more obvious...

Thanks!

Impgrin, Sep 6, 2015
  15. darkf0xx Win User
    Yea its pretty stupid that its speed based, jut make it like a pressure based one, like move it over and when it connect have the snap function if you move it even further then it goes through. A lot more clear than the speed based system imo.

darkf0xx, Sep 7, 2015
Thema:

1. Dual screens (cant drag windows) - Similar Threads - Dual screens cant

2. Dragging windows across screens is inconstantly broken when dragging windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dragging windows across screens is inconstantly broken when dragging windows: When I try to drag a window across screens with a high DP mouse the window and cursor get stuck on the edge of the screen. It won't let the cursor across into the next screen while dragging the window. With a lower DP mouse it works fine. I have All 6 sub settings under "Snap...
  3. Dragging windows across screens is inconstantly broken when dragging windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dragging windows across screens is inconstantly broken when dragging windows: When I try to drag a window across screens with a high DP mouse the window and cursor get stuck on the edge of the screen. It won't let the cursor across into the next screen while dragging the window. With a lower DP mouse it works fine. I have All 6 sub settings under "Snap...
  4. Dragging windows between dual monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dragging windows between dual monitors: PLEASE NOTE that this problem only began a few weeks ago and NO HARDWARE or SOFTWARE CHANGES were made to the system.Until recently, when I have a window maximized, I could grab it by the title bar and drag it across to the other display. When I did it, the application window...
  5. I cant drag and replace

in Windows 10 Support
    I cant drag and replace: I want to drag and copy/replace from the desktop to another folder. ie be asked if I want to replace a file already there. Instead I can only move it using drag or by using cntl + drag make a copy of the file in destination the folder leaving me with two copies of the same...
  6. Cant drag screen / use keyboard shortcuts to move between displays

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cant drag screen / use keyboard shortcuts to move between displays: Hi, I seem to have lost the ability to move windows to other displays using the shortcut keys. Dragging a maximiesed window also isn't possible. Any ideas? Thanks in advance...
  7. Dragging server screens on dual monitors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dragging server screens on dual monitors: Hello, I am using dual monitors (in extend mode) in my workspace. I used to be able to drag screens back and forth to both monitors without issues. Since we had a recent desk move I am not able to move server screens anymore to the other monitor but yet I can drag...
  8. Cant drag and drop favorites in Edge.

in Browsers and Email
    Cant drag and drop favorites in Edge.: Cant drag and drop favorites in Edge. Is it even possible? Thanks. 87479
  9. Trouble Dragging Excel Page Across Dual Monitor Screens

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Trouble Dragging Excel Page Across Dual Monitor Screens: I haven't been able to figure out why my Excel pages resist being dragged across my dual monitor screens without first being minimized. "Drag and Drop" movement across monitor screens works for all my other applications. Anyone has a clue on this? Thanks. 47624
  10. Cant drag and drop files in windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Cant drag and drop files in windows 10: i just cant drag things from the desktop to any folders i have to cut and past it.... any solution. 13960