Windows 10: Duplicate/Different user folders in Quick Access user folder

Discus and support Duplicate/Different user folders in Quick Access user folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey so I relocated Documents Downloads and Desktop to another drive. If I click my username under Quick Access on the side, I can see that those... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AdmEEn84, Apr 23, 2017.

1. AdmEEn84 Win User

Duplicate/Different user folders in Quick Access user folder

Hey so I relocated Documents Downloads and Desktop to another drive. If I click my username under Quick Access on the side, I can see that those directories are right where they should be - right? This is supposed to be C:/Users/Brad/ but it's not. If I goto my user folder under the actual file path, those junctions are not there. Thus, the My Documents junction (points to C:\Users\Brad\Documents) does not function, because there is no C:\Users\Brad\Documents

But if I look at it in Quick access it's there, right next to the rest of the stuff in my user dir!

So, I make some junctions (to Documents Downloads and Desktop at another drive) in my C user folder. Other junctions like My Documents work fine now, the junctions follow all the way to the physical location. Problem solved, except for some reason Windows now shows duplicate folders under my Quick Access user dir:

Duplicate/Different user folders in Quick Access user folder [​IMG]

What gives?

Is there any way to get Windows to reconcile the two locations? If they've put these junctions in my user dir under Quick Access, why didn't they just put them in my C:\Users\ folder and they'd end up in my user folder under Quick Access anyway? I could delete just the ones that aren't in the C:\Users folder, but it gets a little weird. That location isn't a real location, but it screws up my icons and libraries if I remove those and try to make my own junctions in my C:\Users folder

Anyone out there have a better understanding of this Windows 10 filesystem quirk?

:)

AdmEEn84, Apr 23, 2017
  2. lacrumb Win User

duplicate folders

If you are talking about those folders in Quick Access and This PC they are indeed duplicates. They get their information from (CDuplicate/Different user folders in Quick Access user folder :) Win 10, Users, (your user name) and the folders.

lacrumb, Apr 23, 2017
  3. lacrumb Win User
    Sub-folders in This PC are duplicated

Turn off Quick access.

They are not duplicate folders but just addresses.

The real Document files are under C: Users , your user name, Documents

lacrumb, Apr 23, 2017
Thema:

Duplicate/Different user folders in Quick Access user folder

1. Duplicate/Different user folders in Quick Access user folder - Similar Threads - Duplicate Different user

2. Duplicate User folders and files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Duplicate User folders and files: I sent my laptop off to Costco repair for a warranty problem -- the hinge had broken. For some reason unknown to me, they reloaded Windows. Not sure what that had to do with the hinge, but at least I can use the laptop again. Anyway, I now have multiple Documents, Pictures,...
  3. Duplicated user folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplicated user folders: Hey everyone. Here's my issue: I changed the location of my Documents folder, more specifically the one that shows up in Quick Access, away from OneDrive, but I found that there's a second Documents folder that's still set to the OneDrive folder even tho I deleted it and...
  4. Duplicated user folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplicated user folders: Hey everyone. Here's my issue: I changed the location of my Documents folder, more specifically the one that shows up in Quick Access, away from OneDrive, but I found that there's a second Documents folder that's still set to the OneDrive folder even tho I deleted it and...
  5. Duplicated user folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Duplicate user folder on desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplicate user folder on desktop: I recently reinstalled windows 10 21H1 because I had some system file corruption. After I was sure everything was ok I removed Windows.old using the remove function in settings/storage/temp files. I noticed that there is a folder on my desktop with my user name. It is the...
  7. User folders duplicates solution?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User folders duplicates solution?: Hello there! Straight to the point: In Win10 I've set the default location for docs, music, videos, and pictures to be on my second drive "D" in the "Change where new content is saved" settings and now I have D:/Niko/(all of the above). But when I go to C:/Users/Niko I have...
  8. User folders duplicates solution?

in Windows 10 Support
    User folders duplicates solution?: Hello there! Straight to the point: In Win10 I've set the default location for docs, music, videos, and pictures to be on my second drive "D" in the "Change where new content is saved" settings and now I have D:/Niko/(all of the above). But when I go to C:/Users/Niko I have...
  9. Duplicate subfolders in User folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate subfolders in User folder: Hi there. Have been working with Build 10074 for several days. Just realized yesterday that my main user folder has duplicate sub-folders (2 Documents, 2 Music, 2 Videos, 2 Downloads, 2 Pictures). They are the same size, have the same properties). Whichever one I delete,...
  10. Duplicated Quick Access Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicated Quick Access Folders: Hi, let's get down to business. This all started when something happened to my registry and I was unable to create new folders. I surfed around the internet until found a forum post to fix it which led to this link [ New Context Menu - Remove Restore Default Menu Items -...